Vararam Intake Grabber Install / Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello all ive owned a 2014 ram 1500 for about 1 year now and i decided to get an CAI for my truck, after reading many post and seeing that everybody had nothing but good things to say about the Vararam unit i bit the bullet and bought one for my truck from Moes Performance. Upon arrival of the kit i open the box with everything in it, when i took a closer look at the silicone tube from the throttle body to the intake it had no hole for the air temperature sensor. I called vararam and informed me that i could use a hobby knife or razor blade and make a small incision to fit the sensor. That was my first problem. Coming from a mechanical/ engineering background this sensor should be air tight (like factory). This seem pretty sloppy work to me but i let it slide.

So i started by getting a hole saw big enough to cut around the factory air temp **** cut it out and installed in the silicone pipe provided. I super glued and silicone it so it would stay in

Then i was ready to install everything else but the instructions talked about horn brackets when the horn on the 13+ rams aren't even near the rad due to the active grill shutters. This was starting to get on my nerves because the instruction where there but the photos are photocopied and you cant even see anything it was so hard to see anything. Plus the hose clamps they give you are made for a way bigger diameter pipe, make for a messy install.

After that i decide to skip this step because i couldn't find any information about it. So i moved on to putting the air filter on and i heard before it would be a tight fit but i didn't expect the filter to be way bigger then the housing it sits in, i managed to squeeze it in with some force but there is a wave in it because its being squished. IMHO they should have made the filter to actually fit the housing.

When everything was on the whole intake seem loose and cheap feeling like it was super easy to move it around it wouldn't sit straight, that lip that comes off the top part or the intake needed trimming because it was hitting the rad and was causing it to move. Also the AC lines where pushing the intake up every time the hood was opened so i had to zip tie them out of the way to make the intake stay where i wanted it to.

Plus there is one piece i wasn't able to install it goes from the intake grabber to the rad. Reason 1 why i cant install is, the hole don't line up with each other. Number 2 is there is nowhere to put the wiring harness that is there.

Overall i don't think this CAI deserves the credit it does nothing fit correctly they could have used a plastic piece from the throttle body to the intake with the proper **** for the air temp sensor. Paying almost 500$ CAN I would expected this kit to be the best there is because alot of you guys are running them but i cant believe how nobody ever complained about any of these issues? I open the hood and it flops around seem flimsy. Out of 10 id give this intake a 3 or 4, if it was 200$ then id say yeah you get what you par for.

Sorry for the long post I love my truck i want to get the best there is for it and this isn't cutting it for me. Ive uploaded photos i dont know why there sideways but its there to show you guys what ive had to do. Constructive comments would help me out alot thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 173

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, fit and finish on the VR could be better... Many of us who have one, have voiced this in multiple threads.

The good news - once you get it in place and sealed to the hood, etc.. It really doesn't move around much if any. The reason we love the VR is for the performance gains over other CAIs.

After a little playing (maybe a little cutting) with it, you will be able to get it to sit and work fine.

I did a little bit of cutting and also added some cosmetic stuff to mine...

Attachments

• 1 Engine Bay 5.jpg
    1 Engine Bay 5.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_20150704_161004.jpg
    IMG_20150704_161004.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 842

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Vararam does need to work on their instructions. On the 2013+ trucks, there is no horn bracket behind the grille, so that step can be skipped.

The silicone coupler should have had a hole punched in it for the IAT sensor, but it would have been much better for you to simply drill a hole in it just large enough to fit the sensor. I have had to do this on many different brand intakes in the past.

As for the front wing, install the 2 outer screws first. The middle rivet is a tight fit, but if it doesn't line up 100%, simply take a round file to elongate the hole slightly. The washers they give you in the hardware kit will cover this and it will not be visible once installed.

And as for the AC lines, make sure you install the coupler on the throttle body first. Then have someone hold the airbox level while you tighten down the upper hose clamp.

I've installed close to 50 of these kits now, and the tips above will result in a perfect fit and install.

OP
OP
G

Gus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My issue is paying almost 500 bucks we shouldn't have to cut and grind stuff away it should fit right out of the box. Btw i love you engine bay i love the carbon fiber!

OP
OP
G

Gus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Vararam does need to work on their instructions. On the 2013+ trucks, there is no horn bracket behind the grille, so that step can be skipped.

The silicone coupler should have had a hole punched in it for the IAT sensor, but it would have been much better for you to simply drill a hole in it just large enough to fit the sensor. I have had to do this on many different brand intakes in the past.

As for the front wing, install the 2 outer screws first. The middle rivet is a tight fit, but if it doesn't line up 100%, simply take a round file to elongate the hole slightly. The washers they give you in the hardware kit will cover this and it will not be visible once installed.

And as for the AC lines, make sure you install the coupler on the throttle body first. Then have someone hold the airbox level while you tighten down the upper hose clamp.

I've installed close to 50 of these kits now, and the tips above will result in a perfect fit and install.
With that silicone coupler that sensor has an o-ring on it and i didn't want to loose the seal that it provided so i did the next best thing.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Funny, mine came with the hole... They must have missed that one. Actually the hole was really nice and tight too, I had to put a little lube on it to get it in.

Edit: Uh, that didn't sound right.^^^ I am talking about the sensor into the coupler here, lol!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
As long as the hole is not drilled too big, the silicone will form around the IAT sensor. I have never seen anyone trigger any codes or run into an issue by mounting the sensor directly in the rubber coupler. Legmaker sets up most of their kits like this as well without any issues.

OP
OP
G

Gus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Funny, mine came with the hole... They must have missed that one. Actually the hole was really nice and tight too, I had to put a little lube on it to get it in.

Edit: Uh, that didn't sound right.^^^ I am talking about the sensor into the coupler here, lol!
Lol i always get something going wrong with things i buy for my truck no luck.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My issue is paying almost 500 bucks we shouldn't have to cut and grind stuff away it should fit right out of the box. Btw i love you engine bay i love the carbon fiber!

That moment were an "R" would have made all the difference... Lmao!

Thanks man! I hear you on the price vs having to cut and grind... Honestly, I had a $500 Volant before I got the VR and it was even worse of a fit, with less performance gains.

Not trying to sound like an old man here, but "they just don't make things like they used too," lol! :favorites13:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine

They do come with a hole already punched in the coupler. They had a run a month or so ago where I had 5 customers tell me theirs did not have a hole for the IAT. They mistakenly sealed up the hardware kits without punching them.

OP
OP
G

Gus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As long as the hole is not drilled too big, the silicone will form around the IAT sensor. I have never seen anyone trigger any codes or run into an issue by mounting the sensor directly in the rubber coupler. Legmaker sets up most of their kits like this as well without any issues.
Its just something i didn't like about it most other kits ive seen have that hole for the sensor with the quarter turn lock and wanted to retain that. Just seem trouble free that way.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You overthought that air sensor set up. Typical engineer... Just kidding. Mine had the little hole and it was tough to get the sensor in, so I wasn't concerned. If you don't like it, return it. The S&B does not perform as well but is of way better quality.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You overthought that air sensor set up. Typical engineer... Just kidding. Mine had the little hole and it was tough to get the sensor in, so I wasn't concerned. If you don't like it, return it. The S&B does not perform as well but is of way better quality.

You should have lubed it! :roflsquared:

OP
OP
G

Gus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They do come with a hole already punched in the coupler. They had a run a month or so ago where I had 5 customers tell me theirs did not have a hole for the IAT. They mistakenly sealed up the hardware kits without punching them.
They should have a little bit better quality control IMHO. I come to this fourm for knowledge and to see what you ram guys like and i picked up a billet tech catch can works perfect great product .... cant say the same about this intake yet.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will say, regardless of the quality or fit-n-finish issues, I would NOT trade my Vararam for any other CAI on the market right now! I can feel the performance, and it looks bad ass under the hood!

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know that the sensor does much anyway, it certainly doesn't make the truck run any different. Mines currently broken with a new one ordered, my check engine light is on, but other than that the truck runs great.

on the move..

OP
OP
G

Gus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You have the chance of running rich or lean i think

OP
OP
G

Gus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah over engineered but to me its the best way lol thanks for the comments they all help me out !