Vararam Pre Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Time for a prefilter 20190320_174106.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just an update on the pre filter, it doesn’t decrease airflow in any measurable way. I have a pid on my Trinity for “p-ratio baro/map” which basically is a measure of how well the engine is breathing. The scale is 1.00 or less for NA engines, .99 being about as good as you can get. With the Vararam before the pre filter I was hitting .99 quite frequently and I still am with the pre filter.

Definitely a recommended addition to the Air Grabber.

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got mine in the mail a couple days ago and installed it this morning. I blew some compressed air through the filter to remove the pollen build up and any loose debris. The filter is still in great shape, but was getting dirty.

Again, thanks for posting this because I didn’t even know pre-filters were a thing.
08afaaf10ce5e6e5bcbc0fc3c7aebbff.jpgb734a455470be714b0ea917d3bb27948.jpg99910a376025d69c4698c13770b44020.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Finally got around to ordering mine. I guess I was the lucky one since I saved the $15 on a custom build. With my order it hit the quantity that they're going to move it to a normal non custom part #. Forgot to ask what the new PN is, but I'll post it up when it arrives.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally got around to ordering mine. I guess I was the lucky one since I saved the $15 on a custom build. With my order it hit the quantity that they're going to move it to a normal non custom part #. Forgot to ask what the new PN is, but I'll post it up when it arrives.
Awesome! Did they say how long it's going to take?

I love mine, all the pollen we've had and I took mine off yesterday and the filter was basically clean. Add that to the water/snow repelling abilities, I might get another one as a backup once they start making them without the custom made fee...

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Awesome! Did they say how long it's going to take?

I love mine, all the pollen we've had and I took mine off yesterday and the filter was basically clean. Add that to the water/snow repelling abilities, I might get another one as a backup once they start making them without the custom made fee...

From the sounds of it probably should expect to see it in around a week or so. Yea I'm hopeful it'll keep mine much cleaner. Since I finally got my suspension squared away I went and had some fun after this last round of storms and my filter is brown... Also lost a wingnut and rattled off the negative terminal. Fixed the negative terminal issue with a lead shim, gonna replace the wingnuts with nylock nuts, and hopefully the pre-filter will require a bit less cleaning of the filter. Luckily it doesn't look like loosing that wingnut let anything through the filter since the top was stuck on pretty good, the inside looks clean, and the TB looks just as clean as the last time I gave it a good cleaning.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wonder if we should let Vararam know about this....

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wonder if we should let Vararam know about this....

They gave me the thread size pretty quickly after asking them. My truck also sees alot of **** roads so it was only a matter of time before something rattled loose. I also had to tighten up the bolts on the inside that hold it all together and I added blue threadlocker there. For the cover I went ahead and swapped to the largest fender washers that would fit x2, a 1/4" lock washer, and then 1/4-20 nylocks. Damn thing ain't rattling off a second time.

Dusted the filter out to something approximating serviceable and I'll clean it good once I get the wrap. No sense in wasting good oil when the weather here is gonna be ****** this week.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They gave me the thread size pretty quickly after asking them. My truck also sees alot of **** roads so it was only a matter of time before something rattled loose. I also had to tighten up the bolts on the inside that hold it all together and I added blue threadlocker there. For the cover I went ahead and swapped to the largest fender washers that would fit x2, a 1/4" lock washer, and then 1/4-20 nylocks. Damn thing ain't rattling off a second time.

Dusted the filter out to something approximating serviceable and I'll clean it good once I get the wrap. No sense in wasting good oil when the weather here is gonna be ****** this week.

Well that’s cool, yeah they’re really good about supporting their products.

What I meant was and I should have clarified this, is should we let Vararam know about the pre filter....

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well that’s cool, yeah they’re really good about supporting their products.

What I meant was and I should have clarified this, is should we let Vararam know about the pre filter....

Oh lol. Yea it would be cool if they could offer it as a package deal for new purchases. Had it been available when I got mine I would've bought it no questions.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Exactly, I would have gladly paid another $30-40 for the pre filter when buying the Air Grabber.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would guess that the only question might be, is there a difference under track conditions? I read what your tests showed Hemi, but I think they would like to know from track experience. Just thinking out loud----
Jay

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cannot find that part# on their site...contacted them for it , will wait on a response. Since I modified (removed) all but the top and bottom grill shutters, I believe this to be a wise investment.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I cannot find that part# on their site...contacted them for it , will wait on a response. Since I modified (removed) all but the top and bottom grill shutters, I believe this to be a wise investment.
Currently it's a special order part but as @joshuaeb09 said they're in the process of making it available on their website...

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I have a full on shutter delete and one of the more open grilles you can get. Out here in the sticks with nothing but gravel roads and plenty of filth I should've ordered it sooner, but it fell off my radar until yesterday when I checked on everything under the hood lol.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a full on shutter delete and one of the more open grilles you can get. Out here in the sticks with nothing but gravel roads and plenty of filth I should've ordered it sooner, but it fell off my radar until yesterday when I checked on everything under the hood lol.
Yeah, I have had my Vararam on for about 2-3 months now. Knocked the pollen out once, but it isnt getting very dirty...and I am paranoid about checking it after driving through rain spray, but its still dry.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Currently it's a special order part but as @joshuaeb09 said they're in the process of making it available on their website...

Talked to them this afternoon. They said they had that conversation this afternoon and a decision will be made PDQ. Once it has a "regular" part number there will no longer be an extra charge---she said.
Jay