Vehicle upgrades for RWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
I haven't looked into 4.10 too much because I've seen that a good ratio for people who tow quite often, if I tow it will be max 3 times per year. I was also considering the 3.55 because I want to stay at least somewhere near a "Stock V6 Ram" I know the V6 can be special ordered in 3.55 ratio.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Some folks say going from a 321 to a 355 isnt much difference.It actually isn't, but imo it is enough for me to notice.And you can just go to too low of a gear and you get all rpm but not much more power.It's a song and dance.lol.It's gonna be a lot on a v6 even at 300 hp to pull 7k.The torque isnt there like it is with a v8. I'm in the trucking business and we have a saying about heavy weight....it aint how fast you go but how fast you can stop. Trailer brakes are your friend.lol

TheBaseModelGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Some folks say going from a 321 to a 355 isnt much difference.It actually isn't, but imo it is enough for me to notice.And you can just go to too low of a gear and you get all rpm but not much more power.It's a song and dance.lol.It's gonna be a lot on a v6 even at 300 hp to pull 7k.The torque isnt there like it is with a v8. I'm in the trucking business and we have a saying about heavy weight....it aint how fast you go but how fast you can stop. Trailer brakes are your friend.lol
You're right. I'll ask the differential shop about the 4.10 benefits. Once I reach out I'll update on here. I'll also keep looking in the forum for anyone who made the modification to see how it went price wise [emoji28]

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I haven't looked into 4.10 too much because I've seen that a good ratio for people who tow quite often, if I tow it will be max 3 times per year. I was also considering the 3.55 because I want to stay at least somewhere near a "Stock V6 Ram" I know the V6 can be special ordered in 3.55 ratio.

Just a little informed guessing:
I think the biggest difference between the 3.21 and 3.55 (a modest difference) - is the heat in the transmission. The 3.55 is easier to turn (less torque) and puts less load on the transmission (less heat).

As a matter of practical driving - I doubt you will notice much at all for the $1,000 it would likely cost.

3.92 is a stock RAM gear used in the V8's, which is a arguably a better choice if you are going to spend the money and want to remain pseudo stock. That will take a significant load off the trans, but then again it does not sound like you are towing all that often.

Octane

Reaction score
If I were going to use that truck to tow more than three times I would use the 392 gear ratio also. It's not cheap changing gear sets so you want to get the best setup you possibly can. The 355 gear in a v6 would be okay for my liking in a daily driver type thing. I had forgotten about those trucks having the eight speeds in them. My truck has the V8 and the six speed with a 355 gear. I wish mine had a 392 Anti spin in it. But I like every ounce of performance I can get

TheBaseModelGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
If I were going to use that truck to tow more than three times I would use the 392 gear ratio also. It's not cheap changing gear sets so you want to get the best setup you possibly can. The 355 gear in a v6 would be okay for my liking in a daily driver type thing. I had forgotten about those trucks having the eight speeds in them. My truck has the V8 and the six speed with a 355 gear. I wish mine had a 392 Anti spin in it. But I like every ounce of performance I can get
Now I'm curious if limited slip or posi is better for towing [emoji848]

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
You're right. I'll ask the differential shop about the 4.10 benefits. Once I reach out I'll update on here. I'll also keep looking in the forum for anyone who made the modification to see how it went price wise [emoji28]

Once I get my supercharger installed and settled in, I will probably do the 3.92 gears as well (final mod, I promise)

I got a quote for $850, but that does not include programming the ECU for so your speed-o is correct. I had to get the tool for my supercharger project anyway, but you will need to find a shop that can changer the computer ratio.

Octane

Reaction score
Not really - the 8 speed transmission ensures the wheel torque required will be delivered. Moving to a 4.10 rear - simply shifts you up one gear. You are still at some ungodly RPM trying to pull a trailer up hills or travel trailers with a huge coefficient of drag. The engine torque is only about 270ft/lbs which is rather weak for most towing. The lower gears help you get going in first gear, but that is about it. It does, take the torque load off the transmission, but at the expense of higher RPM. Gears are definitely good for low speed use - bogging through mud, pulling out tree stumps, etc. Towing with the Pentastar V6 at regular highway speeds is a different thing. You are trying to just maintain speed when you encounter a hill. It really does not do well in my real world experience with a 4500lb 22ft Micro Minnnie. It spends a LOT of time at high RPM trying to make use of the peak torque that happens a little over 4k RPM.

I have poured over the math and lived the practical reality - in the end, I am putting a supercharger on my V6 for pulling because I need the extra 100ft/lbs of torque.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2015-pentastar-v6-towing.171807/page-6#post-2438098

You can do some visual work with how gear changes will impact your total ratio to the ground. The 8 speed trans is already so good at getting the engine to its sweet spot - gears don't help highway driving.

https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-gear.aspx
Still not like a hemi with that 8 speed or 6 speed and rpms.And gears,torque maintain highway driving especially with heavier weights Same principle with my diesel road tractor.High torque,low gear and 10 speed.

TheBaseModelGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Just a little informed guessing:
I think the biggest difference between the 3.21 and 3.55 (a modest difference) - is the heat in the transmission. The 3.55 is easier to turn (less torque) and puts less load on the transmission (less heat).

As a matter of practical driving - I doubt you will notice much at all for the $1,000 it would likely cost.

3.92 is a stock RAM gear used in the V8's, which is a arguably a better choice if you are going to spend the money and want to remain pseudo stock. That will take a significant load off the trans, but then again it does not sound like you are towing all that often.
Thanks for the input! Another thing to consider would be adding an auxiliary transmission cooler (if towing becomes the norm for me).

Octane

Reaction score
For regular highway driving? I don't think it would offer anything - especially for the price.
If you are on slippery ground or plan to do some drag racing - maybe?
I had the best of both worlds in a Chevy Silverado one time. It had a standard locking differential. So when you would start off and it would start to slip it would lock in both axles and you could pull away without spinning but under normal driving it was just the right wheel powering it. When you did sharp turn you could hear that differential back there clicking though

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Base, look up the trailer towing weights charts for our trucks and you'll find that a 3.55 can pull 1000 pounds more than that awful 3.21, behind your Pentastar. So imagine what 4.10s would do for you.

I'm a big Pentastar fan, even tho my 1500 has the Hemi. I have a Pentastar V6 in my Wrangler. I love it. I hate 3.21s with a passion.

I had the factory LSD put in my truck because the TruTrac wasn't available. The factory LSD has been perfect so far. But if I had it to do today, I'd go with the TruTrac.

If you go 4.10, and you think it's geared too short....which you won't....just get taller tires.

The only downside to 4.10s is the initial investment. But it pays you back every time you drive your "new" truck.