Very curious to learn more about towing tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I am new to the site. I live in East Peoria IL ... central Illinois. Just began to pull a 4000 lb travel trailer and was shocked to only get about 9 mpg even when I slow down to a 55-60 mph cruising speed. I have a 2002 1500 Ram with the 4.7L engine, crew cab long bed.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds about right; I can go anywhere from 8 to 11 depending on how bad the head/tail wind is, and I have an 8 speed with the 5.7, truck is only 2 years old.

Most of that is due to pulling a brick, not the weight itself. If the exact same trailer weighed 2000 pounds more, your MPG probably wouldn't get any worse, that's because your pulling a flat brick through the wind at high speed. If you pulled a 4000 pound empty utility trailer, your MPG would jump up significantly, again showing it's not the weight but the size/shape.

Use tow haul if you have it, and just take your time.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Most of that is due to pulling a brick, not the weight itself. If the exact same trailer weighed 2000 pounds more, your MPG probably wouldn't get any worse, that's because your pulling a flat brick through the wind at high speed. If you pulled a 4000 pound empty utility trailer, your MPG would jump up significantly, again showing it's not the weight but the size/shape.

Use tow haul if you have it, and just take your time.
^^^ this
I go from towing a boat which is 3200lbs and the fuel economy is about 20 mpg, when towing the enclosed car hauler which weighs 3K lbs the fuel economy drops to about 16 mpg.
These fuel economy numbers are behind a diesel, flirting with single digit mpg numbers with a gasser is to be expected while towing.

matemike

Reaction score
I use tow haul through towns where I will experience stops and starts. This makes the tranny shift at higher engine rpm's, so ultimately it shifts less often, but also helps the engine not work as hard by allowing it to work in lower gears for longer.

Once I'm cruising 55mph or more again with no slowing in near future I turn tow haul off and pretty much remain in 6th gear unless I hit a hill. Then it shifts to 5th or rarely 4th but not worthy of turning on tow haul. Doing this I get 8 mpg with a 6.2 gas 1500 GMC pulling a 7500 lb camper. If leave tow haul off for entire trip I get 7 mpg. If I leave tow haul on for entire trip I get even less. we're talking 5.9 mpg. Tank drainer!

When coming to a stop that you can anticipate long in advance you can start scrubbing speed with the trailer brake squeeze tabs on your dash. It applies the trailer brakes only (which in many people's cases, don't get used often) and saves your trucks brakes. And using the trailer brake system is fun and a different feeling if that's neat to you. It feels like a little parachute just got deployed behind you but very very controllable. This method also should help keep you familiar with the trailer brake controller and locating it quickly because if you ever get a death wobble and the trailer starts to sway out of control, "they say" you'll want to squeeze the trailer brake all the way and even stomp on the gas in your truck. I'd personally just start with trailer brakes 100% and hope that gets it back in line.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Yep. I had a 2007 1500 with a 4.7 and 3.92's and towed a brand new 14x7 Haulmark tandem axle enclosed trailer. total weight was maybe 3500-4000lbs loaded. Went to Indianapolis from Pittsburgh so pretty flat ground. Truck stayed in 3rd gear almost the whole way and turned over 3000 RPM the whole time and I averaged about 6.5 MPG. It's not the weight, it's the big brick behind you

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just a thought
mount one of these on your truck

s-l300.jpg

AeroTravel aluminum Wind Deflector Wing Spoiler RV Trailer Towing 57 x 26​

Airstream RVers seem to like them
They say to get a wide one
Increases MPG slightly

This one was used on a dodge ram 2500
several pix on someones face book page
nc_ohc=yeW7oe_SXMQAX9Id_HR&_nc_ht=scontent.fsan1-2.jpg

more search results

Last edited:

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Sounds about right. I got 7-11mpg towing this beast from South Jersey to Tennessee and back this past spring depending on the wind / incline of the roads.176190613_10159066748767207_987584787157061826_n.jpg