Very first tank of gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I finally filled my tank for the first time on my 2021 ram 1500 v8 4x4 crewcab 6.4ft bed with 3.92 Gears.

655kms = 406 miles
110.4 liters = 29.2 gallons

13.9 mpg

Good or bad I'm not sure. I drive the truck to and from work which is about 2-3 miles away. I rarely use it for much else as of yet and I did put a muffler delete on with 5" tips and a pedal commander. That being said I've had my fun for the first 655kms on the truck.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a little lower than what I get. I'm pulling about 15mpg with the same set up. Do yourself a favor and run that thing at least 10 miles once a week. Give it time to run at temperature.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't expect too much for gas mileage until you get past 10K miles. Muffler deletes and other such exhaust mods usually hurt mileage more than they help because you can't keep your foot out of it. I also agree with Loudram in that a 2-3 mile trip barely allows enough time for it to warm up which isn't great for mileage either. With a 2 wheel drive crew cab, Hemi and 3.92s in stop and go short trips most of us probably only get 12-13 MPG.........

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
2-3 miles? Another mode maybe more appropriate. Seriously though, that is not enough run time to burn off the condensation that will develop in the engine and trans and that is an oil killer to both and turns it to sludge over time. You would probably need to change oil more often or at least take the long way to work and home to get everything up to temperature and burn off the condensation.

Need a cheap hooptie for back and forth to work.

OP
OP
P

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My job is 3.9 kilometers or 2 miles from my house. I get up start the truck let it idle for about 1-2 min then drive to work. At the end of my day I repeat idle and drive home. I do that tuesday-friday. For Saturday-monday I do whatever random stuff needed but often I take the wife's car. I don't really have a need to drive the truck all over anymore as I sold my small bizz where I towed every weekend and put on many k's.

I'll be doing my first oil change at 1k kilometers and dumping the catch can. After that I'll probably go 10k kilometers (6200miles) till my next oil change but will empty catch can around every 1k kilometers.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, it's going to cake up the inside of your engine if you drive short runs like that continually. You probably should continually run synthetic and be sure you get it out once or twice a week on a longer run, which you will probably do anyway running errands, etc.

On the 'good' side, since it's such a short run to work, even if you were driving a 4cyl honda, you're not going to save a ton of fuel commuting.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get around 17 mpg. Mostly highway/country roads. 10ish miles to work with 3.21 gear.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too bad they don't make a plugin hybrid version of the Ram w/ 20 mile EV range or something, as that super short trip. Supposedly clearances aren't that tight when an engine is cold (since warm metal expands a bit) and so efficiency isn't the best and the oil isn't up to temp to do its job 100% and no condensation burnoff and more chance for blowby for carbon buildup etc. Might have to do a "severe duty" maintenance interval if that's the regular driving.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Too bad they don't make a plugin hybrid version of the Ram w/ 20 mile EV range or something, as that super short trip. Supposedly clearances aren't that tight when an engine is cold (since warm metal expands a bit) and so efficiency isn't the best and the oil isn't up to temp to do its job 100% and no condensation burnoff and more chance for blowby for carbon buildup etc. Might have to do a "severe duty" maintenance interval if that's the regular driving.
I wouldn't be surprised if one comes out soon, probably the 1500 or bring back the Dakota. GM and Ford are already there.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I average 14 in mine. about 16-17 but mines old and has a 6 speed.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't be surprised if one comes out soon, probably the 1500 or bring back the Dakota. GM and Ford are already there.
Pretty sure that with the release of the all electric F-150 Lightning that the plugin F-150 was cancelled. They have a powerboost hybrid option, but it has a super tiny 45hp motor and 1.5kwh motor, so I believe it can't go anywhere electric no matter how short the distance. Probably nice for stop and go through and to get some regenerative braking and help the stop/start system be a bit more smooth.

My coworker has a big ol truck and also lives just a couple miles from our office, so he bought a cheap little scooter for his regular commute, lol! I think its only 50cc, but hey, as long as its not raining why not for such a short hop down the road! Heck, could even get one of those retro electric bicycles that are all the rage right now.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Pretty sure that with the release of the all electric F-150 Lightning that the plugin F-150 was cancelled. They have a powerboost hybrid option, but it has a super tiny 45hp motor and 1.5kwh motor, so I believe it can't go anywhere electric no matter how short the distance. Probably nice for stop and go through and to get some regenerative braking and help the stop/start system be a bit more smooth.

My coworker has a big ol truck and also lives just a couple miles from our office, so he bought a cheap little scooter for his regular commute, lol! I think its only 50cc, but hey, as long as its not raining why not for such a short hop down the road! Heck, could even get one of those retro electric bicycles that are all the rage right now.
This administration has ambitious plans to end fossil fuel dependence. For whatever reason, that signaled the big three, well maybe two of them, to start the transition. I suspect the internal combustion engine, at least for automobiles, are going to become extinct soon. The question is when. MOPAR is going the opposite direction; big horsepower muscle cars, SUVs, and trucks from the factory.

I do however like GM's relaunch of electric hummer. It is pretty wild, some cool features, has a decent range, but priced well above what I'm willing pay. Like comment above, I read somewhere hybrids and EVs aren't worth the investment unless you do a lot of travelling or long drives. My commute is 60 miles one way, coupled with the aggravation of National Capital Region traffic, makes it a bad day from get go. I rarely drive truck to work, 13 MPG average and a tank of fuel is nearly gone by second day and still have to refuel to make it home on second day. Not knocking the truck, but it is what it is and definitely not for commuting.