Very Rough Ride!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@smoothee Your truck is a regular cab so the clip on your billsteins in position 4 is netting you 2". I would lower them to the lowest notch and that will net you .8" for starters. While you have the front end apart inspect your half shafts, front diff drop brackets, etc. and DO NOT! tighten any bolts until the truck is sitting back on its wheels.(Under its own weight) I would even loosen the lower control arm alignment bolts just to ensure none of the bushings are binding and youll need an alignment anyway. Pull apart the coils and make sure the struts are working as they should, compress them and make sure you dont hear or see any oil coming out. Dont forget to mark indexing points so you can clock everything back to the way it was. Follow the torque specs pinned at the top of the 4th gen lifted section and the BDS instructions
I see that now about the 4th notch being 2" for the regular cab, but the install sheet definitely didn't say that. It's been a couple of years since I did the install but it was either 1.2 or 1.6. But either way, it's all going to have to come apart anyway like you said and I will lower them. It's going to need to be a time when I have a few days off of work unfortunately, in the event I need parts, etc. Hopefully this will uncover something, not many parts that haven't been replaced at this point lol. Thanks for the help.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The 5th gen Rams Bilstein sheets were the same way I was getting all kinds of height differences until they acknowledged many of the trucks had orp (off road packages) the single cabs probably weren’t getting love back then LOL

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little update...finally got some time to tear into the front end over the weekend. Disassembled the struts to check travel, rebound resistance, etc. All looked good, no leaks or anything. Adjusted the 6112's from fourth to first notch (0.8") and reinstalled. Checked CV's, splines looked better than expected. Coated with antiseize (will probably replace them soon anyway seeing they're 11 years old), but doesn't seem like excessive play.

Truck was sketchy driving to alignment shop yesterday. The Toe was out to lunch.

Long story short, even though I haven't had time to drive it much yet it seems to handle the bigger dips better after the alignment, but the bump steer feeling is still there. Any time I hit a bump, whether with one tire or both the steering wheel still jerks from side to side. Everything is solid to the rack itself, steering feels firm and responsive. Can see a slight bit of play in the rack itself so ordered Energy bushings. I know you're going to see some movement, but again, with the ****** rubber bushings being 11 years old in the salt belt to boot it can't hurt. Haven't had any luck getting a loan of stock tires to try, even though if it were tire related I'd expect to notice it on smooth pavement as well. Fingers crossed the bushings will do the trick.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
A little update...finally got some time to tear into the front end over the weekend. Disassembled the struts to check travel, rebound resistance, etc. All looked good, no leaks or anything. Adjusted the 6112's from fourth to first notch (0.8") and reinstalled. Checked CV's, splines looked better than expected. Coated with antiseize (will probably replace them soon anyway seeing they're 11 years old), but doesn't seem like excessive play.

Truck was sketchy driving to alignment shop yesterday. The Toe was out to lunch.

Long story short, even though I haven't had time to drive it much yet it seems to handle the bigger dips better after the alignment, but the bump steer feeling is still there. Any time I hit a bump, whether with one tire or both the steering wheel still jerks from side to side. Everything is solid to the rack itself, steering feels firm and responsive. Can see a slight bit of play in the rack itself so ordered Energy bushings. I know you're going to see some movement, but again, with the ****** rubber bushings being 11 years old in the salt belt to boot it can't hurt. Haven't had any luck getting a loan of stock tires to try, even though if it were tire related I'd expect to notice it on smooth pavement as well. Fingers crossed the bushings will do the trick.
How did you make out with the bushings?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I have the bushings, just haven't had the time to throw them in yet with work. Got a couple of weeks off over Christmas so will do it then. Then perhaps I'll drive down to your shop, lol
I have a rough country lift coming in tomorrow with what I’m told is strange vibrations and uneasy feeling.
You’re welcome at my shop anytime

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a rough country lift coming in tomorrow with what I’m told is strange vibrations and uneasy feeling.
You’re welcome at my shop anytime
I'll be curious what you find. And I appreciate it, if only you weren't 35 hours away lol

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I'll be curious what you find. And I appreciate it, if only you weren't 35 hours away lol
That’s only a day and a half you’ve waisted more time watching tv LOL

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963