Very upset with FCA/Dealership over my outside mirror assembly.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About a month ago a buzzards flew up out of a bar ditch and struck my passenger side mirror, folding it back so hard it sounded like a gun going off. It completely destroyed the lens of the puddle lamp/mirror turn signal. Other than that there was no other damage. I went to my local dealer and found out that they do not have any kind of replacement that I would have to buy a whole mirror assembly.......at over $1,000. If that wasn't enough, they were on backorder with no date of when one would be available. I have a buddy I work with that also has a 2018, like mine, and also had a similar situation with his mirror. He found the whole puddle light/blinker module online at Amazon for $28.00. So I ordered one and it came in and I replaced it in about 5 minutes. It was plug and play at its best. I called the dealer service rep I do business with and told him to take my name off the list for the mirror assembly and told him what I had done. He said he had done the same with his 2017. I asked him why he had not mentioned that to me and he said that they are forbidden by FCA and the dealership to do so. I really trust this guy and have been dealing with him for 4 years now. I understand that FCA and the dealer are in the business of making money, but I would have gladly paid a little more to them if they had given me that option. Come on FCA. Take care of your customers!!! The bad thing is they don't even have that option available.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
There was a time when you could trust the people and companies you do business with. That is now quite rare. If you don't do adequate research you are generally going to get screwed if you just take the advice from one source. Long term relationships don't seem to mean anything, it is all about making the fastest buck right now. Glad you figured out how not to get done over. Thank God for the internet, Forums like this, YouTube tutorials and the far easier availability of information.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
OTOH FCA may just have not thought of or decided not to support the logistics of supporting the sub-parts of the mirror assembly. The gears inside the mirror are another sub-part FCA does not stock. These create opportunities for small businesses to fill those niches.

There are number of parts on a vehicle that can be repaired with a few inexpensive sub-parts. Back in the day we use to rebuild water pumps with a new bearing and seal. As for the service rep, he doesn't want to lose his job by recommending non-Mopar parts. The dealership doesn't want the headache of dealing with customers who are not happy with a non-Mopar part and blame the dealer for recommending it.

Lee955i

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, unfortunately, the odds of any service writer giving you an option for non OEM repair parts at their service center are pretty much zero these days. Too much risk/liability, among other reasons. Thats where a little internet research does the trick, for those that have the time/ambition.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, unfortunately, the odds of any service writer giving you an option for non OEM repair parts at their service center are pretty much zero these days. Too much risk/liability, among other reasons. Thats where a little internet research does the trick, for those that have the time/ambition.

^ Bingo.

No way a dealer is going to recommend a non-OEM part like that for your truck. Too much risk and liability. Can't say I blame them given the society we currently live in.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't think the parts dept at the dealership can tell you that they don't carry parts for the mirrors
They have those parts on the shelf almost all of the time

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
quick internet search shows the right puddle lamp for 2010-2022 Gen4/5 is part number 68302824AA price: $40 before their discount.

Gotta remember, service writers don't know everything about every vehicle they take in. So he may have had a vehicle in recently that required the entire mirror replaced for a small part, and by time the cost of mirror, time/labor were figured in, it came to a grand or so.

I'll find out soon myself what route they take as both my mirrors either won't power fold in, or if they do when they fold out and slam against the limit switches a few times before locking in place.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Couple of real big problems with dealer parts and service guys. Most have been raised in the era of Google. They couldn't find a part or service procedure without your VIN to save their souls. The days of a mechanic knowing enough about the vehicle to swap parts around or do partial replacements, actually fix something rather than replace it, are long gone. Parts department is even worse, there are so many errors in the computer listings it isn't even funny and they never get caught or corrected. Getting the wrong part has become very common.

Owners have to become far more educated than they ever had to be because the competence of the staff everywhere is in rapid decline. If you don't research things extensively, and know as much or more about things than the person you are dealing with, you are going to get a bad result really often. I cannot tell you how many times I get into arguments with dealerships, store, repair techs etc because they are either intentionally trying to feed me bull****e or they have no idea what they are talking about. Last washer repair guy had to pull up a YouTube video to replace the water pump. I still had to show him how to remove the panels so he didn't screw them up. If it hadn't been on warranty I would have never let him touch it.

fulltimerart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few years ago the stealer quoted me $457.00 for a taillight for my Caddi CTS (no labor)-------2 days later I installed the $155.00 Rock Auto unit in about 20 mins. Bought a lot from Rock Auto since.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
This is exactly why I don't use a dealer for anything but basic maintenance (only when they have a coupon or special for swapping snow and summer tires and oil changes) and warranty related work. 95% of the work on my vehicles is done by me or a local independent auto and marine shop that's been in business since 1960. The current owner is a third generation mechanic. He and his workers know how to wrench on and find parts for anything with a motor on it or in it. They source from the internet, stealers, auto supply distributors, junk yards, rebuilders, and are not afraid to buy off Amazon and even e-bay. He and his guys will fix anything but body work. From a 1915 Model T with a locked-up engine to a modern european supercar whose owner blew the engine on an amature track day.

There are shops like these in practically every sizable community. You need to seek them out because these are the places where good mechanics go after getting frustrated by dealer idiocracy and bureaucracy.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When cars are too old some mopar parts are no longer available. I have an '06 the taillights went bad. Parts dept. at the dealership ordered off brand lights and it was plug and play.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Washer story above ^^^^^
Bearing on my toploader maytag went bad. Tub warrenty was for life. Tech said bearing not replacable part, it is an assembly, so I would have to pay for the new drum since there was nothing wrong with it. Told them to **** off. took it apart pulled the bearing measured with calipers ordered correct bearing about 20 bucks.
That's why i do any repair I can myself, bypass the ignorant dealers service. Not saying that all tech's are bad, My local small town Ram can hardly keep people on.Hard to find good help these days. The only oil/ filter change I did at the ram quick lane, came loose 100 miles down the road, oil everywhere.

TrekFX-6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I'm reminded of my 2008, 2500 Cummins that had the wiper assembly go bad. I purchased the replacement for about $180, if memory serves me correctly, and swapped the part myself. After I traded truck on new model I learned of a factory recall. The time to submit reimbursement had lapsed. Stealership told me nothing and no notice was received. I know now to check for recalls regularly.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
quick internet search shows the right puddle lamp for 2010-2022 Gen4/5 is part number 68302824AA price: $40 before their discount.

Gotta remember, service writers don't know everything about every vehicle they take in. So he may have had a vehicle in recently that required the entire mirror replaced for a small part, and by time the cost of mirror, time/labor were figured in, it came to a grand or so.

I'll find out soon myself what route they take as both my mirrors either won't power fold in, or if they do when they fold out and slam against the limit switches a few times before locking in place.

If you’re still under warranty your mirrors are covered. I’ve had both replaced on my 19 for the same issues you’re describing. I was told they’ve redesigned the mechanism in the mirror. My new ones work much smoother and quieter than the originals.

JJPMustang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I avoid stealerships like the plague unless unavoidable. Far and away my worst experiences have always been at Chrysler locations! They seem to do everything they can to screw every customer. Sad, really!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re still under warranty your mirrors are covered. I’ve had both replaced on my 19 for the same issues you’re describing. I was told they’ve redesigned the mechanism in the mirror. My new ones work much smoother and quieter than the originals.
My mirrors fold in fine on MY 19. Though I am not happy how they slam a lil when open. BUT, every time I park at home, I fold in Mirrors because I let Big A**** hossie in upper part of property by house, and if that Mare comes moving through and hit mirror, bye bye. Currently, mirrors left out because of freezing temps. NE body that has folding mirrors needs to remember to not fold in when below 32 degrees and precipitation coming, because U could freeze them in place and burn out plastic gear motor if not careful just a FYI.

IMG_1712.JPG