Vibration at 70 mph and above

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrjohnson1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
Ok guys, I have a 2006 Quadcab 2500 diesel all stock height and 241,000 miles. Have been chasing a vibration for almost 2 1/2 years. It starts around 70 mph and can be felt in the whole truck...i.e the steering wheel, seat, pedals and vibrates the rearview mirror BAD! New tires, new rims, new rear u-joints (1 piece driveshaft), new front driveshaft, all new steering components. New nuckle joints on front axle. New upper and lower ball joints. Rear transmission mount seems to be fine after removal and inspection and subsequent re-install. All new rotors and pads. Does anyone think maybe a bad hub assembly? Maybe a motor mount?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I know comparing a Honda with a big truck is silly but my gf’s little Honda would vibrate Really bad over 60 MPH. Turned out to be a motor mount. Could feel the vibrations through the entire car.

OP
OP
J

Jrjohnson1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
Guess I will check into motor mounts. By the time I find this problem, I will have more money in parts than I paid for the truck.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
what about alignment?
camber?

make sure your toe set, and maybe go a degree in.

scrap the Y style steering linkage for a T style.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I was having a shake in the 65-72mph range for awhile. I finally had it aligned to Thuren specs, and it has been great since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jrjohnson1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
I had it aligned to exact own specs and it didn't make a difference. Had to get the alignment done after all the steering component work. Made a big difference in steering and tire wear, but no difference with the vibration.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I would still suspect tire balance. Having them road force balanced can help, as opposed to standard balancing that most shops do. Or it could be a defective tire itself.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I would still suspect tire balance. Having them road force balanced can help, as opposed to standard balancing that most shops do. Or it could be a defective tire itself.

Agree. We see this a fair bit, tires will balance just fine but they can have excessive road force which can still cause a vibration. Doing a road force match can help.

OP
OP
J

Jrjohnson1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
Is the road force where they run it against a drum while it is balanced?

I don't know if it is going to be tire balance tho. It dis the exact same with the old tires, that's why I had them changed and got new rims at same time.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have this issue with Goodyear, Firestone and Cooper. The latest set are Michelin Defender LTX and they have greatly reduced the vibration issues. My next set will also be Michelin's. Of all the brands I mentioned, the Michelin required the least amount of weight to balance. I had a Cooper that needed 6 oz. :eek: Those went right back to the distributor and I bought the Michelin's.

Last edited:

Thorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Ive had vibrations in trucks before and chased them to things like an unbalanced driveshaft, wheels/tires (obviously), frame beaming (google it), drivetrain mounts (from the motor on back to the transfercase) and brakes

It’s literally a process of elimination to diagnose it. Best to pay a seasoned technician to go for a ride with you and narrow down the issue before you throw too much money at it

craiggemt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 & 2020
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.4 Hemi

Had the same issue when I got my '16 2500. New tires and shake at 70+. Road force balance took care of it.

OP
OP
J

Jrjohnson1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
Update on my issue. I will be replacing the rear output housing bushing for the transfer case within the next few days to try to correct this vibration issue. I pulled the rear driveshaft so I could grease the u-joints and noticed the slip yolk had some play in it while still in the transfer case. Talked to a local transmission shop and he said "yes, that play cam definitely cause a vibration." I will let everyone know what the outcome is when it's done.

Judy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this a bad thing?......lol

Tsys100718

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys, I have a 2006 Quadcab 2500 diesel all stock height and 241,000 miles. Have been chasing a vibration for almost 2 1/2 years. It starts around 70 mph and can be felt in the whole truck...i.e the steering wheel, seat, pedals and vibrates the rearview mirror BAD! New tires, new rims, new rear u-joints (1 piece driveshaft), new front driveshaft, all new steering components. New nuckle joints on front axle. New upper and lower ball joints. Rear transmission mount seems to be fine after removal and inspection and subsequent re-install. All new rotors and pads. Does anyone think maybe a bad hub assembly? Maybe a motor mount?

Maybe a bit off the wall, but my 2017 1500 would vibrate between 70 and 75. Granted, it did not shake the whole truck as you describe, but it was noticeable in my butt and throttle foot. I took it to one dealer and after they ran out a full tank of gas trying to diagnose the issue Dodge told them that it was the catalytic converter! What a cat has to do with a driving vibration, I have NO idea! But they told me that's what Dodge told them. So I refused the new cat and took it to the same dealers other location to have it checked out. They ran it less than 10 miles and surmised that the driveshaft itself was slightly out of balance. True, it was poke and hope, but the new driveshaft fixed the issue.

OP
OP
J

Jrjohnson1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
March 22, 2020 VIBRATION FOUND! Turns out, the front driveshaft was not balanced correctly or is bent. Took front shaft off and ran the truck down the highway and had absolutely no vibration, even up to 95mph. Now to find a driveshaft shop around Springfield, IL that hasn't gone out of business. Juat because it is new, doesn't mean it's not flawed!