Vibration at speeds above 25

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua Geertsma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

New to this forum and could use some help. I have a 1500 hemi standard cab 2wd that has some pretty serious vibrations at any speed above 25 mph. Spindle lift up front and blocks in the rear this lift has been on it for years. It developed slowly after I moved from socal to reno and has just gotten worse and worse. To the point I don't drive it anymore I just take my work truck home haha.

This is what I have done and inspected so far:
- rotated and balanced the tires
- put a different set of used tires on (old tires were trashed)
- took off each rim and put the spare on in place
- General suspension drivetrain inspection (nothing loose or obviously worn)
- replaced u-joints and found a warped yoke so I had that replaced and the driveshaft balanced. Thought that was my issue but it didn't change the vibration at all after repair. This really made me stick with a driveline or drivetrain issue in my head but maybe not.
- checked the pinion nut and it's tight, hit it real quick with an impact to be sure, pulled off diff cover and didn't see any obvious issues there.
- pulled off all calipers and checked rotors ect... rear pads were toast so I replaced em.
- haven't had an alignment done but wouldn't suspect it would cause this much vibration especially at low speeds (opinions?) Truck tracks straight and doesn't pull at all.
- I have not pulled wheel bearings apart but I would suspect that getting the tire off the ground and moving it up and down would indicate this, nothing is loose or moving in directions it shouldnt.
- beat on it to try and make whatever is failing just go ahead and fail haha

I think that's about it, like I said I haven't pulled everything all the way apart but with the amount of vibration at the range of speed, I would really think something would be pretty obvious but so far I haven't found it. The warped yoke was on the driveshaft side at the diff so maybe the differential is on its way out and just not in an obvious way?? I attached a pic of the warped yoke I couldn't even get the c-clip in for the new u-joint, that's how I noticed it was not circular anymore. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated'

20180107_102619.jpg

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Driveshaft could possibly be it. How high is your lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Joshua Geertsma

Joshua Geertsma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Driveshaft has been rebuilt and balanced. I think it's a 3 inch in the front and 2 in the rear

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Op, I read in the 2k page service manual that it could be trans mounts. Just a thought. Gl.

GunnerJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a thought, have you checked the tail shaft of your tranny for straightness or a worn bearing? If your yoke was warped on one side I can't imagine there is no damage on the other side

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk