Vibrations after lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramalamadingdong

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Big Horn
Engine
hemi 5.7
I recently lifted my 2017 Ram 1500 with a 4" Zone lift kit, 3 inch springs, and Bilstein 5100's in the front. I have Fuel rims, with 35, 12.5. 20 for the tires. At around 60mph, sometimes 50pmh, I start to feel a small shudder/bounce that I cannot figure out. I had the wheels balanced and roadforce balanced to no avail. A local shop told me the bilsteins cannot be maxed with that lift as it screws up the geometry of the lift and that may be what is causing my vibrations. Any thought on that? I looked around and didn't see anything that would say the bilsteins cannot be raised with a lift. i am thinking it may be the alignment but i have no idea. Any help would be appreciated. THanks.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
What tires do you have? A lot of times cheaper tires can’t ever be balanced properly

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you have the bilsteins at 2.8 with a 4" lift ad 3" rear coils?....most set them at about 1.4 to 2.1 at most or the front will be higher than the rear

is your truck a crewcab, extcab or reg cab?

what wheels do you have?

you might need hubcentric spacers if its those fuel wheels you mentioned in another thread

also make sure these clips have been removed

DSC09396.jpg

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
lift klits also change the driveshaft angles, you might be getting some driveline vibration

OP
OP
R

ramalamadingdong

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Big Horn
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the recommendations. I did get hubcentric adapters from motorsport tech. I had them installed and they did remove this clips. When the kit was installed, they set the bilsteins to level the truck. I dont know the exact setting. I will check with the installer on Monday. I'm debating having them lower the bilsteins and getting it aligned or just leaving the bilsteins as is and trying a realign. I don't want to pay for 2 realigns. I am also trying to set the air pressure to 45 from 40 and see if that makes a difference.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crew cab, quad cab, reg cab?

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do the vibrations start at the steering column, and work there way down? or, do they start in the seat ( I.E, where do you notice them first ). I had the same issue, turned out to be tire treat due to towing with mud tires. How many miles are on the tires you have now?

OP
OP
R

ramalamadingdong

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Big Horn
Engine
hemi 5.7
Feels like it starts at the seat. Only have about 500 or so miles on the tires.

OP
OP
R

ramalamadingdong

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Big Horn
Engine
hemi 5.7
So, I balanced the tires 3 times but no luck. The tire shop took it for a ride and said it comes on during acceleration and they think it needs a transfer case drop bracket. Anyone have any experience with them or ever hear of that? I'm at my wits end

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Wranglers it is done on the entry level type lift kits for just that reason but its more of a band aid than the correct fix for a wrangler TJ . Their suspension is the same as our rear suspension so the same fixes and theory works . The big difference in the two is the driveshaft length which is way different . On a jeep the speed that the drop transfer case helps is well below 50 mph not up where we are experiencing it

Normally I would agree with it being a rear driveline issue but with mine , my steering wheel don't shake either its like the seat , floor , watch the console shake , cuffs on shirt shake. I have removed any spacers from rear springs and lowered Bilsteins to .7. That had no effect on the vibe . Its still at a tire issue speed but 4 different balance machines and two alignments had no effect nor does rotating tires. I have read where BFG KO2s which I have can balance perfectly and still cause a vibe. In a few days I will install a set of Rancho Quick lifts on a friends truck and put my tires and wheels on his truck to see if his truck will vibrate .

Last edited:

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have a 2016 2500 crew cab... I haven't done my lift yet but am getting a Rancho 6"/4" lift. Six in the front to level the truck, 4 in the back to lift it. I'm dropping my pitman arm and adding a carrier bearing spacer. All as recommended by Rancho. They guarantee 35's will fit clean with that configuration.

When you did the lift, did they put a drop spacer on the rear driveshaft carrier bearing? If not, will bet a 6-pack that's where your vibration is coming from. You don't need to drop the transfer case for a 4" lift... 8"... yeah, probably so... but a 4" lift just needs the carrier dropped a couple of inches and you should be good to go.

Robert Haley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 3.5" leveling kit on my 2017 1500 4x4. I just took it off to restore ride quality. It rode horrible with the leveling kit installed. Some times it would ride okay and then start riding like there was no suspension. It would ride like you could feel every imperfection in the road. Also, I would feel a strange little vibration on take-off like spring wrap, but I have no leaf springs. I'm now looking for another way to get about 4 inches of lift without sacrificing ride quality.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMG_1645.jpg View attachment 130669 i just took out my 1.5" body lift and installed a 3" and set my Bilsteins to 1.4. I have 1" rake which is fine for me . With that I ended up with about 4.4" It has 35-12.50-20 KO2s

iHemiMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
It may have something to do with the 2-piece driveshaft in combination with the geometry of the lift...

2016 5.7L Ram 1500 QC

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 1500 crewcab has one piece driveshaft hence no carrier bearing, is his a 2 piece?

iHemiMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
My 1500 crewcab has one piece driveshaft hence no carrier bearing, is his a 2 piece?

I don’t know for sure I was just offering a possibility

2016 5.7L Ram 1500 QC

Rasworld84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently lifted my 2017 Ram 1500 with a 4" Zone lift kit, 3 inch springs, and Bilstein 5100's in the front. I have Fuel rims, with 35, 12.5. 20 for the tires. At around 60mph, sometimes 50pmh, I start to feel audde small shr/bounce that I cannot figure out. I had the wheels balanced and roadforce balanced to no avail. A local shop told me the bilsteins cannot be maxed with that lift as it screws up the geometry of the lift and that may be what is causing my vibrations. Any thought on that? I looked around and didn't see anything that would say the bilsteins cannot be raised with a lift. i am thinking it may be the alignment but i have no idea. Any help would be appreciated. THanks.
Did you ever figure out what was causing your vibration/shr/bounce at 60mph? Mine does the same thing after installing my 4 inch rough country lift. I'm trying some these out to see if it stops my vibration at 60mph and a bounce that occurs around 50mph.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota