Viking Shock settings with IHR 4/6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2012 RCSB with the Inez Hot Rods 4/6 kit. Started with stock front and IHR rear. Hard and bouncy. Installed a new set of Monroe reflex and has a smooth ride but very bouncy and wobbles on large bumps. Wasn't happy with the shock options so I put on the Viking double adjustable shocks on all 4 corners. This is a daily driver and I drive like an old man so I want a smooth controlled ride. My commute has bad maintained county roads with pot holes and ruff areas, old highway with expansion joints, and some new paved highway. So a varied selection.

I have been having a hell of a time finding setting that give me a smooth ride! I have went from stiff to soft in many combinations. It seams to either be stiff like a 1 ton truck or so soft that I have handling issues on bumps. Bounces around almost like bump steer.

Out of frustration yesterday I tried something opposite than I have seen. I set the rebound lighter than the compression. Wow, like a real 1/2 ton truck again. I would even say better than before the lift. I need to try some more adjustments but even here I finally don't hate these shocks. This is how I have them now. Front are 6 compression and 5 rebound and the rear is 5 compression and 4 rebound.

Would like to know what others have set them and liked. Also what do you think about the softer rebound? Is this a bad thing or just what works with my setup?
Thanks for any input Rod

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2012 RCSB with the Inez Hot Rods 4/6 kit. Started with stock front and IHR rear. Hard and bouncy. Installed a new set of Monroe reflex and has a smooth ride but very bouncy and wobbles on large bumps. Wasn't happy with the shock options so I put on the Viking double adjustable shocks on all 4 corners. This is a daily driver and I drive like an old man so I want a smooth controlled ride. My commute has bad maintained county roads with pot holes and ruff areas, old highway with expansion joints, and some new paved highway. So a varied selection.

I have been having a hell of a time finding setting that give me a smooth ride! I have went from stiff to soft in many combinations. It seams to either be stiff like a 1 ton truck or so soft that I have handling issues on bumps. Bounces around almost like bump steer.

Out of frustration yesterday I tried something opposite than I have seen. I set the rebound lighter than the compression. Wow, like a real 1/2 ton truck again. I would even say better than before the lift. I need to try some more adjustments but even here I finally don't hate these shocks. This is how I have them now. Front are 6 compression and 5 rebound and the rear is 5 compression and 4 rebound.

Would like to know what others have set them and liked. Also what do you think about the softer rebound? Is this a bad thing or just what works with my setup?
Thanks for any input Rod

You might get more advice and tips on setting them on the High Performance Ram pages on Facebook.There's a lot of guys running the Vikings on the trucks on facebook,not so many running them on here.Here's a few pages worth joining to ask your question on

https://www.facebook.com/groups/527...d=1531443817609506&notif_t=group_r2j_approved

https://www.facebook.com/groups/930...00988252790&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373...if_id=1560964475841752&notif_t=group_activity

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1133272306731360/

mighty noid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hydro Blue 2018 4x2 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These are my settings and so far I really enjoy the ride.

20190830_071805.jpg

rjames78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m curios about how this works out for u, I have a 2/3 ground force kit I could never get to ride right and Vikings were my next step but I just got frustrated and ended up going the complete other direction with a level and tuned king shocks.
If I decide to change back these when I get a new work ram I would like to try this on my street truck again.
Vikings would be top of my list and it seems like u drive similar roads to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you guys having any issues with the Viking rear shock length with springs cut for 6" and 7" rear drops?
I just completed my 5/7 install and my rear QA1s are way too long, but when I looked at the specs on the Viking shocks, they appear to have the same extended length... Am I missing something?

mighty noid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hydro Blue 2018 4x2 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you guys having any issues with the Viking rear shock length with springs cut for 6" and 7" rear drops?
I just completed my 5/7 install and my rear QA1s are way too long, but when I looked at the specs on the Viking shocks, they appear to have the same extended length... Am I missing something?
I did 6" and had no issues. Sorry

OP
OP
rlampman

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m curios about how this works out for u, I have a 2/3 ground force kit I could never get to ride right and Vikings were my next step but I just got frustrated and ended up going the complete other direction with a level and tuned king shocks.
If I decide to change back these when I get a new work ram I would like to try this on my street truck again.
Vikings would be top of my list and it seems like u drive similar roads to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm still working on settings. Better so far as I'm continuing in the direction of less rebound. I have it at 6 comp/4 rebound in the front and 5 comp/4 rebound in the rear. So far the rear is great but I will try a little less rebound and see what I get. First trying to get the front soft without the bounce. It is better so far.

OP
OP
rlampman

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was hesitant on that as well. I'm about 6.5 drop in the rear now. I went with the shorter version directly from Viking. I had to give them the compressed, ride and extended length of my rear suspension as well as the dimensions of the shock mount. They came up with two part numbers. The B255 is what Moes sells but the B279 is shorter. I did the shorter B279 and when at full droop the springs are still tight. Would like to go to a full 5/7 if I can get this smoothed out and I'm sure these shocks will still hold it in. I think the B255 that Moe's sells would work OK for a 6 drop but not much more.

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was hesitant on that as well. I'm about 6.5 drop in the rear now. I went with the shorter version directly from Viking. I had to give them the compressed, ride and extended length of my rear suspension as well as the dimensions of the shock mount. They came up with two part numbers. The B255 is what Moes sells but the B279 is shorter. I did the shorter B279 and when at full droop the springs are still tight. Would like to go to a full 5/7 if I can get this smoothed out and I'm sure these shocks will still hold it in. I think the B255 that Moe's sells would work OK for a 6 drop but not much more.

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve been cross referencing shocks from their site to find something shorter so I’ll check out the B279 - that really helps...

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! What are the common part numbers for the Viking and QA1 shocks that work with the Inez 4/6 drop?

OP
OP
rlampman

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
UPDATE:
I forgot to come back here and report what I found. The problems I was having was a VERY bouncy ride or really stiff depending on the shock settings. When I first installed my IHR kit I had Monroe Reflex shocks all around. A little soft and not the best handling but it was comfortable. After a while I started having a lot of bounce. Talked to IHR and they said it would have to be tires or shocks because "their stuff would not cause this". So based on that and others comments I installed the Vikings. I did a lot of different adjustments which brought me to this post. Based on what others (and also IHR) had used for the settings I figured I had something else going on.

Based on the squeak in the front end I decided to remove the front arms and re-lube. I found that the lower control arm inner bushing was binding, bad! The inner metal sleeve that was used was only about 1/16" thick wall. This is where the cam bolt that adjusts the front suspension is so there is a slotted hole. The sleeve was completely crushed and binding the lower bushings. That was my main issue all along!

I called IHR and they said the older control arms that do not have a grease fitting had that style and they have updated them with a thicker sleeve because of this issue. (Thanks for letting me know that the last two times I called you!) Sold me new bushings and inner sleeves for $80. Completely changed the ride!

Second issue I found is that 2012 and earlier Rams had a door sticker that recommended 35 psi tire pressure. Starting in 2013 the door sticker says 39 psi. With more tire pressure more of the bounce went away.

So, back to the Viking shocks. I am now running 3 compression and 5 rebound all around. That is what IHR recommended. I have also tried MANY different combinations but this is where I came back to. I would say anyone starting with the shocks start there and adjust based on your preference.

Either way my problem was really the binding control arm bushings but I am still not impressed with the Viking shocks. They handle REALLY good but for what I wanted still too firm. Would be great for someone that likes more performance/spirited driving. I'm going back to my Monroe Reflex and will probably sell the Vikings for good deal to recoup some of my costs. So if someone is interested let me know.

Last edited: