VIN ID broadcast through bluetooth boot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Can I change my Uconnect boot name?

While being proactive in security measures by locking my OBD2 port and covering my dash VIN , keeping my key fobs in faraday bags.

I realize now that my Uconnect bluetooth boot name has my full 17 digit VIN.

Is there some way I can change this ?
It probably is not visible with the key off but I would think if I was at idle in a parking lot or just sitting in my car with the key on anyone within range could possess it.

My Truck is a 2016 express the Uconnect module has the small 5. something inch screen.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
you have the RA2 , 5.0 radio

Many things known about the RA2

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I understand your concern but there are far easier ways to get your VIN and truck history. All they need is your license plate. Try it with your neighbor's car.

OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I understand your concern but there are far easier ways to get your VIN and truck history. All they need is your license plate. Try it with your neighbor's car.
Thanks for that link.. I’ll trade you for this one…

16C113EC-AEC1-48ED-B97C-BE3CC44FC3BB.jpeg
BEST PRACTICES NHTSA

OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
you have the RA2 , 5.0 radio

Many things known about the RA2

pop
Wow sharing VIN’s now that’s a concept

I found a non MOPAR link to a pdf Manual for the 5.0 Uconnect through that post thanks !
it gives contact information phone number for Uconnect customer service
https://www.driveuconnect.com/
For Uconnect® customer support:

• U.S. residents - call 1-877-855-8400

• Canadian residents - call 1-800-465-2001 (English)
or 1-800-387-9983 (French)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Exactly. Because unless you opt out of all the features of the radio and supply the written specific request to do so, they are watching, recording, & selling your every move.
The NHTSA pdf is a 2018 document that was going to be resubmitted and updated to reflect the latest concerns has me wondering if someone would be justified in not displaying their license plate because of the known security issues involved and documented by the NHTSA and probably the responsibility of Stellantis to issue recall software updates.

If you look at the recent history of security flaws of FCA as early as 2016 were mailing updates on flash drives to Jeep owners.
Recently RamCares posted information regarding the ability for the 2019-2022 to receive the first broadcast updates regarding Uconnect software but if anyone familiar with Damiler or Mercedes the technology has been there for years
and is probably only an update away to open on later year vehicles.
As with the for mentioned Jeep updates are now not physically dependent on flash drives.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Thank goodness they removed that personal information from public view. All it gives now is Model and year of production.