Vinegar in the Cooling System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seriously dude, I'm not sure what is worse, that old guy or you. If it were a good idea don't you think a mfg would do it?
" NEW ENGINE COLLANT NOW WITH VINEGAR"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To avoid damaging your radiator and potentially your engine, your choice of cleaning product is important. Avoid using vinegar, because the acetic acid makes metal susceptible to rust. Additionally, bleach should never be used, because sodium hypochlorite (bleach) will corrode metals such as steel and aluminum.
To be fair to the old guy, No, I don't think any manufacturer would put it in if it improved anything.
On the flip side, household vinegar is like 5% acetic acid, so it's watered down a lot. Most of what the old guy is really doing is probably just slightly diluting the antifreeze. And maybe making the antifreeze slightly more acidic (or less basic, I don't know the PH of antifreeze...)

OnTheTrails

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9L
Seriously dude, I'm not sure what is worse, that old guy or you. If it were a good idea don't you think a mfg would do it?
" NEW ENGINE COLLANT NOW WITH VINEGAR"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To avoid damaging your radiator and potentially your engine, your choice of cleaning product is important. Avoid using vinegar, because the acetic acid makes metal susceptible to rust. Additionally, bleach should never be used, because sodium hypochlorite (bleach) will corrode metals such as steel and aluminum.
People should be a little more careful before they speak. Some people think they are experts on everything. And then they think they become an expert on something because they spent 10 minutes searching it on the Internet.

Of course, you should be careful about what you put in your radiator. Perhaps sticking to the manufacturer’s suggestion is always the best idea. But the fact is, vinegar has been used for many purposes for a long, long time. This includes cleaning rust off metal and many other purposes. I'm not saying you should put vinegar in your radiator, but I am saying people should slow their roll a little because unless we have done extensive testing, we don't necessarily know what we are talking about.

And as far as what the manufacturer recommends, time has proven repeatedly that what is recommended isn't always the cheapest solution, but the solution that keeps consumers coming back for special products. There is substantial evidence showing that things like baking soda and vinegar can replace dozens of the existing products you keep in your home. But of course, the less you know the better, because then you will spend your hard earned money on some fancy labeling and marketing.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One word "EVANS" all known coolant problems solved forever... I do prefer red wine vinegar in my homemade salad dressing...

Wow my company worked with Evans back in the day! I analyzed his used coolants from his race cars for corrosion metals. He used our propylene glycol straight without any corrosion inhibitors for a while.
He also patented a reverse flow ambient pressure cooling system using propylene glycol neat that worked really well. Dodge actually tested it in a Viper and a Jeep in Death Valley if I recall correctly. Evans wanted a small fortune for the patent rights so it never went anywhere. It did work great in the tests.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Will Evans lower my engine temperature?

Typically no. Vehicles running under normal operating conditions should show either no change or a slight increase in temperature, but that will depend on cooling system configuration as well as driving conditions. Certain systems that use incompatible components, have an existing problem, or are poorly designed could run hotter. The ability to lower the operating temperature depends on multiple factors, primarily coolant flow volume and air flow temperature. For example, multi pass radiators will result in higher temperatures due to decreased coolant flow volume vs. large tube multi row radiators that improve coolant flow. Different thermostats may increase flow volume because of less restriction.
Water-based coolant boils at a temperature only slightly higher than the operating temperature of the coolant. Localized boiling releases water vapor that can only condense into coolant that is colder than the boiling point of water. Vapor that doesn’t condense occupies a volume that displaces liquid coolant. Hot engine metal, insulated by water vapor, becomes an engine “hot spot” that can cause pre-ignition and detonation. Evans’ high boiling point means it will not turn to vapor.

Evans doesn't work real good with the stock radiators in a Ram 1500.I tried it out years ago in a 74 AMC Hornet with a healthy 401 and a stock rad,and it didn't really work all that well,anti-freeze and water actually ran cooler then the Evans waterless coolant did,sure with a high dollar custom radiator it might of ran cooler operating temps then the water/antifreeze combo did,but the car never really ran all that hot with the factory set-up,so it wasn't worth the hassle or cost of having a custom radiator fabbed up

What radiator type is best to use with Evans?
Evans recommends single-pass radiators as they have less flow resistance than multi-pass radiators. The following are minimum radiator core suggestions:
300HP or less without AC.........................4 rows: ½” tube copper/brass
300HP to 400HP with AC..........................2 rows: 1” tube aluminum
400HP to 600HP....................................... ..2 rows: 1.25” tube, aluminum
600HP and above........................................3 rows: 1” tube aluminum
OR 2 rows: 1.5” tube aluminum

Last edited:

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
People should be a little more careful before they speak. Some people think they are experts on everything. And then they think they become an expert on something because they spent 10 minutes searching it on the Internet.

Of course, you should be careful about what you put in your radiator. Perhaps sticking to the manufacturer’s suggestion is always the best idea. But the fact is, vinegar has been used for many purposes for a long, long time. This includes cleaning rust off metal and many other purposes. I'm not saying you should put vinegar in your radiator, but I am saying people should slow their roll a little because unless we have done extensive testing, we don't necessarily know what we are talking about.

And as far as what the manufacturer recommends, time has proven repeatedly that what is recommended isn't always the cheapest solution, but the solution that keeps consumers coming back for special products. There is substantial evidence showing that things like baking soda and vinegar can replace dozens of the existing products you keep in your home. But of course, the less you know the better, because then you will spend your hard earned money on some fancy labeling and marketing.
You are being too hard on the OP.

Play nice.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will Evans lower my engine temperature?

Typically no. Vehicles running under normal operating conditions should show either no change or a slight increase in temperature, but that will depend on cooling system configuration as well as driving conditions. Certain systems that use incompatible components, have an existing problem, or are poorly designed could run hotter. The ability to lower the operating temperature depends on multiple factors, primarily coolant flow volume and air flow temperature. For example, multi pass radiators will result in higher temperatures due to decreased coolant flow volume vs. large tube multi row radiators that improve coolant flow. Different thermostats may increase flow volume because of less restriction.
Water-based coolant boils at a temperature only slightly higher than the operating temperature of the coolant. Localized boiling releases water vapor that can only condense into coolant that is colder than the boiling point of water. Vapor that doesn’t condense occupies a volume that displaces liquid coolant. Hot engine metal, insulated by water vapor, becomes an engine “hot spot” that can cause pre-ignition and detonation. Evans’ high boiling point means it will not turn to vapor.

Evans doesn't work real good with the stock radiators in a Ram 1500.I tried it out years ago in a 74 AMC Hornet with a healthy 401 and a stock rad,and it didn't really work all that well,anti-freeze and water actually ran cooler then the Evans waterless coolant did,sure with a high dollar custom radiator it might of ran cooler operating temps then the water/antifreeze combo did,but the car never really ran all that hot with the factory set-up,so it wasn't worth the hassle or cost of having a custom radiator fabbed up

What radiator type is best to use with Evans?
Evans recommends single-pass radiators as they have less flow resistance than multi-pass radiators. The following are minimum radiator core suggestions:
300HP or less without AC.........................4 rows: ½” tube copper/brass
300HP to 400HP with AC..........................2 rows: 1” tube aluminum
400HP to 600HP....................................... ..2 rows: 1.25” tube, aluminum
600HP and above........................................3 rows: 1” tube aluminum
OR 2 rows: 1.5” tube aluminum
What about Evian?

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What about Evian?
You should really quit posting young feller,as you're not making much sense. I let you off pretty easy on this thread,chaulking it up to you being new,and not really knowing me,but you're well past being new now ;)
I will say some of your earlier posts on this thread made me damn near fall off the couch laughing at you though :Big Laugh:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
"I think we all can google then copy pasta the results, but nobody here is going to dump acid into their cooling system."

You positive about that?

WINNER WINNER WINNER !!!
Congratulations, you just made my;
Ignore this Non-Helpful, Self-Righteous, Ultimate Keyboard Warrior List.

No need to reply, I will never see it.

In case you are looking for an Avatar

0.jpg

My Wife took a pretty good picture of me, didn't she?

Funniest part?
That is the wall color, in my Den.

Last edited:

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should really quit posting young feller,as you're not making much sense. I let you off pretty easy on this thread,chaulking it up to you being new,and not really knowing me,but you're well past being new now ;)
I will say some of your earlier posts on this thread made me damn near fall off the couch laughing at you though :Big Laugh:

EVIAN WATER - IT WAS A JOKE11111111111111111111111111111111

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WINNER WINNER WINNER !!!
Congratulations, you just made my;
Ignore this Non-Helpful, Self-Righteous, Ultimate Keyboard Warrior List.

No need to reply, I will never see it.

In case you are looking for an Avatar

View attachment 520979

My Wife took a pretty good picture of me, didn't she?

Funniest part?
That is the wall color, in my Den.

Wrong! It is:
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
...did the old man then try and sell you some ocean front property in Arizona???

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
...did the old man then try and sell you some ocean front property in Arizona???
No but he did have some ocean front property for sale in Saskatchewan :Big Laugh: Said he'd found some suckers to buy it in Arizona though,i wondered if you knew them:waytogo::cheers:

Last edited:

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
No but he did have some ocean front property for sale in Saskatchewan :Big Laugh: Said he'd found some suckers to buy it in Arizona though,i wondered if you knew them:waytogo::cheers:
yes, we call them "snowbirds". they left in April, headed back and excited to see their new property in Saskatchewan.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
yes, we call them "snowbirds". they left in April, headed back and excited to see their new property in Saskatchewan.
So relatives of yours then :Big Laugh:
Do they call you Cousin Eddy when they come visit you :waytogo:

Last edited: