Voltage regulator swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevsak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
I have a 2007 ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi and the alternator bearing is rough sounding. I do have another alternator from my 2500 but it has the wrong plug on it. My question is, can I put my existing plug or voltage regulator on the new one with no issues? I believe all the other mounting is the same. Correct me if I am wrong.

ACA82E16-B59E-4D6D-8094-8F942515A7D3.jpeg

C334C506-815F-46D7-B72B-BCFEE6FD09B7.jpeg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
First, voltage regulation is handled by the PCM, so that isn't going to happen. Just get the right one.

OP
OP
K

Kevsak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Sorry I dont understand exactly what you mean. I have a new one sitting here that is otherwise useless to me now as I do not have the hemi 2500 anymore. Just a few nuts holding it on, just Wanting to know if this terminal can just be swapped out and function as it should.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Your truck doesn't have a regulator like the old days it is controlled by your computer.Also if you have any doubt if you know someone who rebuild starters and alternators they could tell a little more about your plug and might be able to change things out to make it work.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry I dont understand exactly what you mean. I have a new one sitting here that is otherwise useless to me now as I do not have the hemi 2500 anymore. Just a few nuts holding it on, just Wanting to know if this terminal can just be swapped out and function as it should.

In most modern vehicles after say 1994, the PCM IS the voltage regulator; there is no external one or one internal to the alternator. You asked if you could put your voltage regulator on the new one; I was telling you that a VR isn't part of the equation. Now swapping the back piece, that you might be able to do but the only way to find out is to pull the back off and see. Keep in mind you may screw something up doing this; if that doesn't worry you, then go for it. Considering manufacturers generally tend to vary part numbers for a reason (obviously, since there is a different plug on there)...you can either screw with it and possibly have to go get the right one anyway (or you might get lucky) or you can get the right one to begin with and sell the spare one you have. Those are your options; may the odds be ever in your favor. Good luck :)