VVT Solenoid Metal Flakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrob20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doing a cam/lifter swap and was told to pull the VVT to see if it’s “clogged” with metal shavings. This obviously isn’t clogged, maybe 10-15 very small pieces. Is this enough to be concerned?

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
Doing a cam/lifter swap and was told to pull the VVT to see if it’s “clogged” with metal shavings. This obviously isn’t clogged, maybe 10-15 very small pieces. Is this enough to be concerned?

Probably not. Some will sound alarms and say your block is compromised because of a stellantis bulletin, but in most situations, swap the cam, throw in new lifters, check the VVT valve, maybe even replace it while you are there and move on. Mine and my dads both had a few small flakes and we threw it back together and are going strong.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well ,base on the info FCA provided, this engine is done,the small pieces are all over the oil channels and other parts,but some guys go ahead anyway with the cam&lifter job,and say the engine work great,there is a risk with it,its your call,good luck.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ignore anyone who says your motor is shot due to some metal on that screen I have had some look way worse then that. Flush it all out replace vvt solenoid drain oil throw a cam in it and go about your way have done this on at least 10 rams all of them still running.

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
Well ,base on the info FCA provided, this engine is done,the small pieces are all over the oil channels and other parts,but some guys go ahead anyway with the cam&lifter job,and say the engine work great,there is a risk with it,its your call,good luck.
If you aren't under warranty, do the cam and lifters. Sure, there is some risk, but it's low. The bulletin IS from the same company that won't acknowledge the fact that there was a lifter issue in the first place...Flush the oil a few times after a few hundred miles and use a good filter. I use the Royal Purp 20-820 or a fram XG2 with Pennzoil Ultra Premium 5w30. Mine and my dad's both purr like a kitten. Same engines.

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Does any one know how the metal flakes are even getting to the VVT solenoid? Any pressurized oil should be going thru a filter before it goes to the rest of the engine right?. I don't understand how it can get by the filter being that large.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Does any one know how the metal flakes are even getting to the VVT solenoid? Any pressurized oil should be going thru a filter before it goes to the rest of the engine right?. I don't understand how it can get by the filter being that large.
I surmise it’s the filter bypass valve burping some oil around the filter element. Either because of using a filter to the point it’s saturated, or because the oil is too thick at cold starts.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The cam when it's wearing throws metal filings every where inside the engine,as it's spinning constantly,and it's well past the filter.The filter is only filtering the oil in the pan,it can't re-filter the oil once it's inside the engine,and being thrown onto the cam,consequently the majority of filings off the wearing cam lobe/lifter,get spread throughout the engine

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ignore anyone who says your motor is shot due to some metal on that screen I have had some look way worse then that. Flush it all out replace vvt solenoid drain oil throw a cam in it and go about your way have done this on at least 10 rams all of them still running.

This X100

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can also get a few oil changes worth of conventional oil and filters, and do a couple quick changes, cutting open the filters to see what else got trapped.

Sounds like you might have caught it early if there isn't alot of metal in the solenoid.

Wishing you a complete and lasting fix.