Wanting a bigger cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have an 03 dodge ram 1500 QC hemi and I want a little more power now that I have a good job. im thinkin a cam and headers is a good start.
what is a good cam to get I was thinking the comp cams 260?
is a cam swap something that someone could do their selves?
Is there any damage that a bigger cam does to an engine?

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For your limited 03 a comp 260 would be a good cam. It can be done if your mechanically incline. If you do a cam swap its highly advised that you get springs an rods as the early hemis were known to have spring failure

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
For your limited 03 a comp 260 would be a good cam. It can be done if your mechanically incline. If you do a cam swap its highly advised that you get springs an rods as the early hemis were known to have spring failure

This^

A cam install is relatively straight forward but can be very very intimidating if you've never done it or aren't very mechanically inclined

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I would tell you to shy away from the comp springs and get yourself the 6.1 springs and 6.1 pushrods. The reason on the comp springs is they have been know to break, some as soon as start up. How many miles are on the truck? During a cam swap its a great move to upgrade the oil pump (6.1 pumps are on nation wide back order at the moment) and also replace the timing set.

Redhemi03

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 and 2013
Engine
5.7 in both
Sidewinder for the win!!! Especially on a QC you could use the extra torque and power that it provides in that heavy truck. You will have stalling problems from time to time if you do not have a psc1 tuner to add to a superchips 91 tune. With stock heads an minimal mods, it gonna be most likely the best cam you can shove in a 03.

Kyle 2003 Hemi QC VS Alan 2013 Hemi Express QC - YouTube

Fastest NA 03 QC . Sidewinder cam , Stock heads, stock throttle body
2003 Dodge Ram QC cam only NA 8.46 - YouTube

Redhemi03

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 and 2013
Engine
5.7 in both
And that stalling will be with either of those cams , sidewinder or 260. You can go with a diablo and get a custom tune for it but with that you can only rev to 5600 rpms where you can rev to 6500 with superchips:)

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
To solve the Problem using CMR Tune with 5850 Max RPM would be to Get a Crazy Jay Plus from Inertia (Tons of Torque) on a 114 LSA. Agree the 260 will stall on occassion idling but you can up the Idle with Red Truck Va's Idle up "Power steering Mod".

PSC1-001 is cool, I have one I got from Greg (same Guy) to use when I was running the Crazy Spartan but never got around to it and eventually went to current Cam.

I am willing to part with the PSC-001 and Greg can tell you how to wire it in.

So other than the Crazy Jay PLUS (New Cam just like the new Spartan PLUS) Idea I am throwing out there, I would recommend an AC version 6.1 Cam installed with 6 degrees advance using a crower Timing Chain and keep the SC3865 on 91 Tune (will also run on 87) for 64-6500 RPM shifts.

(For your 03 Tranny) Do a free TMR delete Mod, Transgo HD with Line boost resisitor installed and throw in a 2800 stall (If you don't Tow).

Nothing against the Sidewinder but I am a Huge Fan of the 6.1 Cam and have had it twice in my truck in the 4 swaps I've done.

Not sure if I will do another swap using above ideas as I have all the raw power i need with my Station Wagon!

Good luck choosing and you have alot of 03 expeirience on here to help you out. Danny

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
To solve the Problem using CMR Tune with 5850 Max RPM would be to Get a Crazy Jay Plus from Inertia (Tons of Torque) on a 114 LSA. Agree the 260 will stall on occassion idling but you can up the Idle with Red Truck Va's Idle up "Power steering Mod".

PSC1-001 is cool, I have one I got from Greg (same Guy) to use when I was running the Crazy Spartan but never got around to it and eventually went to current Cam.

I am willing to part with the PSC-001 and Greg can tell you how to wire it in.

So other than the Crazy Jay PLUS (New Cam just like the new Spartan PLUS) Idea I am throwing out there, I would recommend an AC version 6.1 Cam installed with 6 degrees advance using a crower Timing Chain and keep the SC3865 on 91 Tune (will also run on 87) for 64-6500 RPM shifts.

(For your 03 Tranny) Do a free TMR delete Mod, Transgo HD with Line boost resisitor installed and throw in a 2800 stall (If you don't Tow).

Nothing against the Sidewinder but I am a Huge Fan of the 6.1 Cam and have had it twice in my truck in the 4 swaps I've done.

Not sure if I will do another swap using above ideas as I have all the raw power i need with my Station Wagon!

Good luck choosing and you have alot of 03 expeirience on here to help you out. Danny
so would a 6.1 cam give more power or about the same if I did everything you said. and about the tune I already have a 3865 so would I need anything else

OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would tell you to shy away from the comp springs and get yourself the 6.1 springs and 6.1 pushrods. The reason on the comp springs is they have been know to break, some as soon as start up. How many miles are on the truck? During a cam swap its a great move to upgrade the oil pump (6.1 pumps are on nation wide back order at the moment) and also replace the timing set.

113000 miles and the first 85,000 were drove by an old man.

Redhemi03

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 and 2013
Engine
5.7 in both
No offence but I would put a 6.1 in my truck if you paid me too. I go by track times and results of others out there, in a quad cab the sidewinder is probably my the best and most proven cam out there for a off the shelf cam. Look up silvrram or randtx, and my truck for a example. Only cam I would go up from there would be a hellfire but you couldn't make one idle in a 03. Fastest QC in the nation is running it. And mine being the fastest NA 03 QC both run it and my old lady takes it to the grocery store when I'm not home. Very streetsable and doesnt require custom tuning or major supporting mods.

OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No offence but I would put a 6.1 in my truck if you paid me too. I go by track times and results of others out there, in a quad cab the sidewinder is probably my the best and most proven cam out there for a off the shelf cam. Look up silvrram or randtx, and my truck for a example. Only cam I would go up from there would be a hellfire but you couldn't make one idle in a 03. Fastest QC in the nation is running it. And mine being the fastest NA 03 QC both run it and my old lady takes it to the grocery store when I'm not home. Very streetsable and doesnt require custom tuning or major supporting mods.
what I have planned is:
-sidewinder cam w/ 6.1 springs and rods
-pacesetter longtubes w/ high flow cats probably true dueled
-s&b cai
-3865 flashpaq on canned tune
-motive 4.56 gears
-tmr delete
since you probably have most of these things would I have any problems with it idling or codes on all the time(I don't mind every so often) im just worried cause I know 03's are kinda limited on some things

Redhemi03

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 and 2013
Engine
5.7 in both
Will idle, and would idle even better with redtruckva high idle mod, I'm sure that thread is one here some where. And a split second PSC-1 piggy back tuner is another option to pull fuel out at idle to make it idle alot better. And if you go true duals make sure you stay with 2.5 inch piping and mandrel bends, I have 3" and its over kill and I lost some low end power for sure

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Ha ha ha....Redhemi03..Hey OP do your research and before you make your choice read all these comments again. And also remember not every person offering opinions can actually turn a wrench! I'm outta here Boys. Hope you can get your hands on that Sidewinder should do well....Its all Good...Carry On! Danny

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Will idle, and would idle even better with redtruckva high idle mod, I'm sure that thread is one here some where. And a split second PSC-1 piggy back tuner is another option to pull fuel out at idle to make it idle alot better. And if you go true duals make sure you stay with 2.5 inch piping and mandrel bends, I have 3" and its over kill and I lost some low end power for sure
im glad you told me that I was going 3" haha ill figure out something better but I will definitely check out the high idle mod. thanks for the info

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Get a 6.1L timing set to go with the new springs and rods.

OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Get a 6.1L timing set to go with the new springs and rods.
haven't seen many people do that but not trying to give you a hard time whats the advantage of doing this? stronger, more reliable, easier to tune? Ive also seen where someone said replace the water pump too? really don't see the point in that

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Well most likely with the amount of miles you have on your truck its going to have some slack in the timing set. Putting a new one on gets rid of that and is a good general maintenance thing anyways. The 6.1L will be tighter but I want to say is stronger as well. I know I didn't know I needed it until my until my cam installer said I should get one. I know, not the best info lol but it's all I've got