Wanting to get some rumble out of a stock exhaust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good evening All, hope the weekend is going good for all.
Ok, 2016 2500, 5.7, stock 3 inch in, 3 inch out water heater. Would removing the resonater give it some rumble ? Don't tell me to do a cat back system.
Thanks in advance. Brian

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can do a muffler swap but otherwise no. Your best choice is a direct swap muffler designed for the truck or a catback to keep drone at bay. The catback on my truck comes with new resonators to keep drone away.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when i got my truck i had the stock muffler replaced with a magnaflow knockoff and i like the sound, i think it has a little rumble to it. thats about it

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The simple answer is NO due to that stock giant muffler is still doing it's job at keeping it quiet. You want a rumble remove that stock muffler and resonator and I wouldn't get anything quieter than say a 40 series flowmaster. I replaced stock muffler with dynomax race bullet and removed resonator and is perfect has a great rumble and almost no drone when just cruising. Everything else stock on mine. If you remove stock resonator most chambered type of mufflers you will still have some drone. The more open style mufflers seem to have less drone and no doubt is the case on mine. When I first removed stock muffler and resonator I went with flowmaster flow fx muffler and had some drone and to my ears still too quiet. I swapped the flow fx with dynomax and that removed the drone and gave it a good rumble. Exhaust shop I went to said same thing most if not all chambered type of mufflers you will still have drone if you want almost none to none go with open type muffler.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you guys miss the part where its 2500 when suggesting 1500 mufflers?

Resonator delete won't do much, this is honestly your best bet (bolt in muffler replacement).

It will be nice, mellow and deep BUT you will get a little drone/noise on the highway.

I had them do a magnaflow Y-pipe and 24" magnaflow on my 08' PowerWagon and loved the sound but it was a little noisier on the highway than I would have liked even with a resinated tailpipe (4.56 gears, 6-speed was 3K RPM @ 80mph). Now around town with the non-resonated/dumped tailpipe it sounded amazing rowing the gears