Wanting to swap my 5.7 to 6.4 in my fourth gen Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacub Kresan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve recently come across as 6.4 Hemi first generation. I’m just wondering if it is possible to swap out the 5.7 with the 6.4 on my Dodge ram 1500 or if there’s way too many things to change. This will be the first time I’ve ventured into something like this as I’m old-school and used to playing with my older Mopars. I’m hoping this isn’t a silly question and I’m gonna start looking up YouTube videos to see if anything’s been done or what’s involved but any info would be greatly appreciated thank you

Crooks1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok 1st gen on the 6.4 is 2011+ correct?

If so, it’s not difficult at all. I’m In the middle of swapping in one from a 2014 SRT Jeep to my 2014 RAM single cab.

The blocks are virtually the same. Not sure if you have a short block, long block, or complete engine, but I know the heads are different. I have seen a write up where a guy used the 5.7 heads on a 6.4, but I think he had to block of some of the water jackets. Besides the heads, every other thing on your 5.7 will bolt directly to the 6.4, and the 6.4 drops in and bolts directly to your transmission.

One thing to look for is make sure your torque converter fits the crank on the 6.4. I dropped mine in and couldn’t get it to bolt up. When I pulled it back out I learned the crank had a pilot bearing for the previous vehicle and had to remove it. Once that was done it slide together with the transmission perfectly.

While the intake on the 5.7 and 6.4 are different, they will directly bolt up on either/or but the 6.4 intake requires an extension for the wiring harness that can be found at Moe’s for under $100

You will 100% need a custom tuner get the PCM working correctly but besides that it’s a pretty dang easy swap!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s easier to swap a truck 6.4 BGE than it is to swap the earlier car/jeep 6.4 srt engine. Most everything bolts over. If you are on Facebook look up “high performance rams” as there are quite a few people doing swaps.

Crooks1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s easier to swap a truck 6.4 BGE than it is to swap the earlier car/jeep 6.4 srt engine. Most everything bolts over. If you are on Facebook look up “high performance rams” as there are quite a few people doing swaps.
The only think I have found different was the pilot bearing and there was a plug in the dipstick tube hole because the cars have their dipstick in the oil pan.

I’m genuinely curious what makes the BGE easier?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought there were other differences like the intake and cylinder heads and sensors. The blocks all fit the same though. The bge just has stronger castings and better oiling.

ews25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Scat Pack 392
Ok 1st gen on the 6.4 is 2011+ correct?

If so, it’s not difficult at all. I’m In the middle of swapping in one from a 2014 SRT Jeep to my 2014 RAM single cab.

The blocks are virtually the same. Not sure if you have a short block, long block, or complete engine, but I know the heads are different. I have seen a write up where a guy used the 5.7 heads on a 6.4, but I think he had to block of some of the water jackets. Besides the heads, every other thing on your 5.7 will bolt directly to the 6.4, and the 6.4 drops in and bolts directly to your transmission.

One thing to look for is make sure your torque converter fits the crank on the 6.4. I dropped mine in and couldn’t get it to bolt up. When I pulled it back out I learned the crank had a pilot bearing for the previous vehicle and had to remove it. Once that was done it slide together with the transmission perfectly.

While the intake on the 5.7 and 6.4 are different, they will directly bolt up on either/or but the 6.4 intake requires an extension for the wiring harness that can be found at Moe’s for under $100

You will 100% need a custom tuner get the PCM working correctly but besides that it’s a pretty dang easy swap!
I'm looking at swapping a 6.4 jeep crate engine into my 11 Ram, and it looks like it comes with stock SRT exh manifolds. Are those shorty headers or legit iron logs? Any idea?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm looking at swapping a 6.4 jeep crate engine into my 11 Ram, and it looks like it comes with stock SRT exh manifolds. Are those shorty headers or legit iron logs? Any idea?
They are sort of a shorty header,but you'll want to check clearances between them and the frame,as they might hit the frame.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They are sort of a shorty header,but you'll want to check clearances between them and the frame,as they might hit the frame.

Frame of heavy duty is tighter to the engine block because the frame rails are taller for stiffer modulus, and the engine mount location is deep down in order to fit the tall, inline Cummins diesel engine. So the V8 Hemi is really wedged down in there.

I know this after looking at hammering ARH LT Headers into there.