Warmup vs No Warmup

Warmup or no warmup?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hey yall,

Just curious, for those of you with an EcoDiesel, do you tend to let the truck warm up for a period of time at the beginning of the day or after a period of letting it sit for awhile?

At a previous place of employment our work trucks were Chevy 3500 Diesel Duallies, our first task of the morning, every morning was to pull the trucks out of the shop and let them warm up for 15 minutes. In hindsight this was advantageous for more than just letting the trucks warm up, we also had a chance to coordinate the crews for the day and plan what needed to be done in what order.

Anyways I digress, what is your opinion on whether or not the EcoDiesel needs to be warmed up before being driven? Is it critical? Is it just a good thing to do for the engine? Or is it bad for the engine and not a good idea. I know the Duramax and the EcoDiesel are wildly different engines but there is some commonality, they're both diesels...

I maintain that letting the truck warm up is a good thing because my gas mileage isn't as negatively impacted as when I don't, the truck responds better after letting it warm up for 10 minutes and one thing I just noticed recently is that my oil pressure doesn't seem to go up quite as suddenly when I let it idle.

I know emissions are also a concern, I do 95% of my driving on the highway so a short idle in the morning doesn't seem too bad.

What are yalls thoughts?

Please no bashing or rude comments, just seeing if there is a consensus about best practices.

Thank you!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Because its a diesel I say warm up, but 5 mins is more than enough imho. Gas I still warm up, but only a couple minutes or until it settles back to idle if it's warm out. I'll only go longer on either if I want to thaw the interior because its really cold, but I don't think it benefits the motor. Modern diesels more idling means more emissions equipment problems.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I give all my engines at least 2-3 minutes on a cold start and a minute on every start. If it's real cold a bit longer to 15 minutes.
And then I drive or operate them easily for a few more minutes.
It may be unnessary per the "experts" but it's worked for me for several decades, so I will keep it up hopefully for a couple more.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Usually the first start of the day for mine is in the garage and I will usually have the block heater powered up for a couple of hours beforehand.
If it is a cold start without running the block heater, I'll remote start it/let it idle till the coolant rises a couple of degrees.
Either way, I will take it easy driving till the temp is up around 150-160. With the winter front on it usually only takes a mile or two which about the distance to the freeway ramp.
One thing to remember with the EcoDiesel, set the HVAC heat to at least 3/4 to full heat and the blower on a medium speed, the truck has PTC heaters that will help warm the cab. If you have the auto climate control, just use Auto. I think the PTC heaters work until the coolant is about 110°F
Aside from the block heater and winter front, I do the same thing with a gas motors too. Motors in general seem to run better when they're up to temp.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I’ve been warming it up ever since it started getting cold, usually the 10 minute time period. My fuel mileage has significantly been impacted according to the EVIC. Not sure if they made the fuel blend switch in PA yet. I’d assume yes

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Same here for warming up. Probably longer than I should. Coming from Alaska, I got used to letting vehicles warm up for 15-20 minutes so I didn't leave skin on the steering wheel (pre-heated steering wheel). I should probably try to break that habit so I don't mess up the emissions equipment on the Eco.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 V6 EcoDiesel
I always warm up but it's because I thought that was best. Interesting to find out it may not be.

Silver Goose

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Larame Longhorn
Engine
Cummings 6.7 Diesel
I have always warmed the engine, it gives me time to review the gages and listen to the engine. The few minutes spent reviewing the sights and sound offsets the costs of a few ounces of fuel.

Larry

EcoPete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I no longer warm up my Ecodiesel in the winter unless I have to (ie. windshield iced up etc). I drive a VW Jetta to go to work and my previous one I would let idle in the winter for at least 15 min before I hopped in. Temps would go down to -30 to -35 C. Then one day my car lost power going up hill and I guess it was gradual. It turned out my intake to my turbo was clogged beyond belief. My theory was the cause of all of this was letting a cold engine idle in cold weather. I cleaned it all up, never let the engine idle again and just drove away. No more issues. So, I am doing the same with my truck and I am running it with the bra.

Hugearse69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Tradesman
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel V6
I normally let mine warm up for 15 minutes. That's how long my timer for my remote start is set for. I had the emission recall done on my truck and if I don't let it heat up at least 5-10 minutes when it's cold its got really bad turbo lag until the engine is warm. Wish I never got the recall done but oh well. If it's below 30° too I put on the grill cover too. Definitely helps the truck warm up faster.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

woofie2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 v6
Warmup is plugin based on temps under 30*F, Then run for a minute to warm up and get fluids moving.
It gets to just above idle to the end of the subdivision. another minute or two.

it might run for a 10 min auto start with frozen precipitation on the windshield.

Mayes BlackRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
This is my first diesel and I’ve been letting mine warm up. I know it’s the summer however I have noticed a huge difference in acceleration. When comparing warmup to no warmup.

eric_s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This is my first diesel and I’ve been letting mine warm up. I know it’s the summer however I have noticed a huge difference in acceleration. When comparing warmup to no warmup.

Mine too. Mine is 2016, but there is considerable difference when the engine is cold.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I let the engine run until the RPM's fall into the normal range and the temp gauge starts to move. Diesel engines do not so much need to be warmed up as not used for short trips where the engine is below its normal operating temperatures a great deal of the time. For short trips averaging less than 20 miles it is smarted to use a vehicle with a gas engine.

sirdumpsalot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
How high does your oil pressure get if you don't let it warm up? It seems like if I let it run for 5 min the oil pressure stays below 60 psi, but if you drive it cold right away it gets above that. Either way it never even comes close to the limit on the gauges...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just before i put on my shoes, i remote start my 2016 Eco-diesel
Then i grab my travel cup, open the door out to the garage & open the garage door, my Ram is always outdoors, i unlock the doors as i walk around the Ram, then i get in, buckle up, check the gauges & drive 3 miles, ( 6 Stop Signs & Traffic Lights ) to the 6 lane highway, Speed Limit is 35MPH until the highway

If i am going into San Diego, traffic may hit 65 at times
If i am going towards the desert, traffic rolls faster, because the horse ranches & hills begin 3 miles East of my place

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont have an eco diesel but in the warm weather I will remote start the truck as I'm getting my boots on to walk out the door. By the time I get in the truck the idle has come down and everything is good to go. In the cold New England weather I'll start it and let it run for about 10 or 15 minutes to warm up and defrost the windows before I drive away. I've always done that with my 11 Bighorn and I'll do it this way with my new 21 BTS as well

sirdumpsalot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Do you guys try and warm things up before changing to 4wd or vica versa? Seems like it should only help...

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
We get a lot of cold weather here, up to -55. If the truck is parked outside, it gets the block heater and in car warmer plugged in at anything below -10 whether it is gas or diesel. The in car warmer keeps windows frost and snow free even at -50. From there it is start and drive away GENTLY until the block comes up to temp. Engines and everything else heat up faster under a light load than they do at idle and it is FAR better for them than gunking them up idling on a real cold motor. Even if there is no place to plug in, the start and drive gently routine is the same, it just means you have to scrape the windows before you pull out and I let the truck idle while I do that. Takes maybe 2 minutes. Oil pressure, cleanness of burn, tranny, transfer case and diff fluids all benefit greatly from gentle driving rather then idling.

Last edited: