Warning about the nut that holds the under seat jack down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The factory runs that retaining nut down with a machine so tight you would never get it off without a wrench. So if you're out with a flat and that's the only jack you have you might be in trouble. Do yourself a favor if it's never been used and take the nut off, lube it and put it back on by hand.

Didn't have a flat but had to remove the jack to find a screw I dropped.

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You need to upgrade to the new style jack hold down like a few of us have thanks to @kad

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/i-...t-and-try-to-take-out-your-jack.122342/page-8

That would be the exact one that came in my truck, I had to put 13/16" wrench on to get it off after the factory zapped it down so tight it wasn't going to come off by hand. A little silicone grease on the threads and re-installing it finger tight with no rattle makes it just perfect and not a future problem. :)

Last edited:

atc250r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's funny I came across this post. I bought a 2015 on Saturday and while poking around it on Sunday I checked to make sure the jack and other tools were under the passenger seat where they belong. I found it all just stuffed under there and not secured. Upon realizing the thumb screw simply screws through the floor and into the elements I thought about what a dumb set up it was and how it was destined to get seized in there. Guess the thread linked here is the fix. ;)

Thanks!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's funny I came across this post. I bought a 2015 on Saturday and while poking around it on Sunday I checked to make sure the jack and other tools were under the passenger seat where they belong. I found it all just stuffed under there and not secured. Upon realizing the thumb screw simply screws through the floor and into the elements I thought about what a dumb set up it was and how it was destined to get seized in there. Guess the thread linked here is the fix. ;)

Thanks!

Yup, just order these parts

Stud - 6508288AA - $2.25
Nut - 6512623AA - $5.00

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I took a bolt, Por-15 and sealed that f**ken hole. Jack sits under the seat with no issues,

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Same here. Throw away that cheesy jack

I have both, other is a U.S. Jack 12 ton Bottle Jack (Low Clearance) in a weather tight case in the bed heheh. Have the extensions from SafeJack when needed. ... I know ******** but rather be super safe lol