Warning - Power Running Boards on 2020 incompatability!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had the dealer order power running boards to install on my 2020 Laramie. I couldn't order them installed from the factory because they "require" the E-Torque motor which I refuse.

They ordered them from MOPAR, for a 2020. Installed them and were able to make them work using an external power source but couldn't add it to the UConnect control. After a few calls to FCA they were told they are not compatible with the 20s...

???

Looks like I will probably be going with the AMP Research ones.

Last edited:

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I cannot understand why one would want powered running boards that retract and so do not provide any protection for the sides of the truck while driving along the highway or off the pavement.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I too was not a fan of those. But I am glad you are, and hope you enjoy your new truck. That is very odd, that the etorque is required to have those.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hope they are going to refund your money back.Some times they will hit you with a handling charge or restocking bill

jjsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm. Dealer installed them on my 2020 Laramie. I do not have eTorque. They appear in my 12in console controls as well (deploy/retract). Performance Dodge in Delaware, OH if you want to call them - ask for Ron. I should add that after the update, the menus did not appear at first, it takes several hours for all of the settings menus to “come back.”

Last edited:
OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I cannot understand why one would want powered running boards that retract and so do not provide any protection for the sides of the truck while driving along the highway or off the pavement.

Well, they DO provide protection, but that's not why I want them.

I prefer the retractability because I think it looks better, AND they go down lower than regular running boards when extended, making it easier for my short wife to get in.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They appear in my 12in console controls as well (deploy/retract).

That was one reason I wanted the factory ones.

I've already ordered and received the AMP Research ones. Should be installed (by local shop, not RAM) by the time I get back next weekend.

Dealer did not charge me anything for the failed attempt.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
They provide better brakeover clearance. I've been over rocks that would have ripped off regular side steps.

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This thread may provide a question that I was about to post a new thread on. I apologize for high jacking lol. My dad has a 2019 Longhorn 1500 with the power steps and because he is handicap with crutches he has them turned off and wants to give them to me for my new 2020 Big Horn. We both have the hemi with e/torque and I am wondering if I can take his factory electronic side steps from his 2019 Longhorn network and put them on my 2020 Big Horn it work.This thread may provide a question that I was about to post a new thread on. My dad has a 2019 longhorn 1500 with the power steps and because he is handicap with crutches he has them turned off and wants to give them to me for my new 2020 Big Horn. We both have the hemi with e-torque and I am wondering if I can take his factory electronic side steps from his 2019 longhorn e-torque and put them on my 2020 Big Horn e-torque

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I too was not a fan of those. But I am glad you are, and hope you enjoy your new truck. That is very odd, that the etorque is required to have those.

Depends on the model. You can get a Limited without the etorque, but it will have power steps because all Limiteds come with them. In the OP's case, he wanted a Laramie. When you try to build it on the ramtrucks.com website, it forces you to not only to select etorque, but the v6 engine with etorque when you add the power steps. No thanks. I have to admit that I do like the power steps on our Limited though. I was thinking about adding them to my Laramie eventually.

Those of you going with AMP Research steps, be advised that AMP makes the Mopar power steps, so they very well could be identical except for badging.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Mine do

20190605_130808.jpg

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on the model. You can get a Limited without the etorque, but it will have power steps because all Limiteds come with them. In the OP's case, he wanted a Laramie. When you try to build it on the ramtrucks.com website, it forces you to not only to select etorque, but the v6 engine with etorque when you add the power steps. No thanks. I have to admit that I do like the power steps on our Limited though. I was thinking about adding them to my Laramie eventually.

Those of you going with AMP Research steps, be advised that AMP makes the Mopar power steps, so they very well could be identical except for badging.

Actually I've noticed not all limited or longhorns come with the power boards, I believe it gets added when the level 2 package is added. Otherwise they come with the fixed style boards like the previous generation had. Interesting though the restrictions on them with other trims.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Actually I've noticed not all limited or longhorns come with the power boards, I believe it gets added when the level 2 package is added. Otherwise they come with the fixed style boards like the previous generation had. Interesting though the restrictions on them with other trims.
All Limited models do come with power steps as standard equipment. Also, there is no level 2 equipment group for a Limited. Not sure what you were looking at. We just took delivery of a 2020 Limited a few weeks ago, and went through all the available options and standard features for a Limited. But you don't have to believe me. Go to ramtrucks.com and build one for yourself. Or take a look at a window sticker from a Limited and you'll see that the power running boards are listed as standard exterior equipment. Not sure about a Longhorn since we weren't shopping for one of those.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All Limited models do come with power steps as standard equipment. Also, there is no level 2 equipment group for a Limited. Not sure what you were looking at. We just took delivery of a 2020 Limited a few weeks ago, and went through all the available options and standard features for a Limited. But you don't have to believe me. Go to ramtrucks.com and build one for yourself. Or take a look at a window sticker from a Limited and you'll see that the power running boards are listed as standard exterior equipment. Not sure about a Longhorn since we weren't shopping for one of those.

I may have had that confused as I have been looking at both longhorns and limiteds, I know for a fact they don't come standard on the longhorn. Forgot there are some slight differences between the two, despite the fact that you can get identical options with each model.

I do look at all window stickers/build sheets of every truck I look at though, been in the practice of doing that for my last 3 rams I've bought, can't trust what a dealer says.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I may have had that confused as I have been looking at both longhorns and limiteds, I know for a fact they don't come standard on the longhorn. Forgot there are some slight differences between the two, despite the fact that you can get identical options with each model.

I do look at all window stickers/build sheets of every truck I look at though, been in the practice of doing that for my last 3 rams I've bought, can't trust what a dealer says.
Looks like you're right about the Longhorn. It does not come with the power steps as standard equipment. They are part of the level 1 equipment group. We weren't really interested in the Longhorn. Too much cowboy themed stuff in there :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This thread may provide a question that I was about to post a new thread on. I apologize for high jacking lol. My dad has a 2019 Longhorn 1500 with the power steps and because he is handicap with crutches he has them turned off and wants to give them to me for my new 2020 Big Horn. We both have the hemi with e/torque and I am wondering if I can take his factory electronic side steps from his 2019 Longhorn network and put them on my 2020 Big Horn it work.

The answer is: don't know until you try. It should, but so should a lot of other things.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
??

They do provide protection compared to not having them.

Compared to fixed running boards that probably don't provide as much protection from the side.

I see running boards as a way to ease ingress/egress from the vehicle. If you want protection maybe you need something different than I.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like you're right about the Longhorn. It does not come with the power steps as standard equipment. They are part of the level 1 equipment group. We weren't really interested in the Longhorn. Too much cowboy themed stuff in there :Big Laugh:

Yeah I hear you there, I currently have a 2017 longhorn but the first thing I did to it was remove the ridiculous wwf style longhorn badges from the exterior. I could also go without the filigree and barbwire looking touches, as well as a few other things. What I do really love about it, is the cattle tan and black interior combo, especially against the Delmonico red exterior color. I've had enough black or gray interiors at this point, was happy to change it up with something different. On that note, I do like the white/blue interior that the limited offers, I'm watching a few that feature that as well.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This thread may provide a question that I was about to post a new thread on. I apologize for high jacking lol. My dad has a 2019 Longhorn 1500 with the power steps and because he is handicap with crutches he has them turned off and wants to give them to me for my new 2020 Big Horn. We both have the hemi with e/torque and I am wondering if I can take his factory electronic side steps from his 2019 Longhorn network and put them on my 2020 Big Horn it work.This thread may provide a question that I was about to post a new thread on. My dad has a 2019 longhorn 1500 with the power steps and because he is handicap with crutches he has them turned off and wants to give them to me for my new 2020 Big Horn. We both have the hemi with e-torque and I am wondering if I can take his factory electronic side steps from his 2019 longhorn e-torque and put them on my 2020 Big Horn e-torque
Yes. You would need to grab the power steps module, also. Depending on what wiring is already present on your truck, you may need to build a harness for everything. Then, you would need to use AlfaOBD to enable all the settings to make the module work and for the settings to show up in the radio.