warranty denied

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I would definitely escalate this with the dealer and the warranty claims department and @RamCares
Hey!

Thanks for tagging us. We'd love to see how we can be of assistance. Please send us a direct message by clicking on our name, heading to our profile and hitting "start conversation". We'd love to dig into this with you.

Callie
Ram Cares

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Yes I cut it off when I saw the temp elevated.
So, how long was it elevated before you saw it? Straight up...I understand third-party warranties very well. They denied your claim because your ECM info stream was pulled and it showed that this thing set an overheat code (at some point) and then was driven XX miles after the code set. That's all it indicates. It won't show that you let it cool down, you limped it home, etc. I'm not questioning your integrity, but from the perspective of the warranty company, it over-heated and was driven until the motor was toast. And THAT is what is called consequential damage, and nobody covers that.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, how long was it elevated before you saw it? Straight up...I understand third-party warranties very well. They denied your claim because your ECM info stream was pulled and it showed that this thing set an overheat code (at some point) and then was driven XX miles after the code set. That's all it indicates. It won't show that you let it cool down, you limped it home, etc. I'm not questioning your integrity, but from the perspective of the warranty company, it over-heated and was driven until the motor was toast. And THAT is what is called consequential damage, and nobody covers that.
I get it, warranties don’t want to pay for damage that appears to be caused by driver error but in response to your question, if he did actually drive this thing pretty hot before he noticed it, with all the sensors and electronics on these things anymore, you would think; or at least I would anyways, that if the motor got hot enough to initiate some kind of tell-tale “Blackbox” event that there should’ve been some kind of both visual and audible warning alert on the dash that the engine was getting abnormally hot.

I guess I just don’t understand how the computer said he drove that many miles with the engine hot like that when he said he shut it down after he noticed it was hot and let it sit on the side of the road for a while to cool off and then he said he limped it for about a quarter of a mile to his home which, I don’t think I would’ve done but then again, he said the sludge didn’t start coming out until he pulled into his driveway which meant that he really had a bad problem at that point.

Maybe the OP will tell us how far away the dealership is from his house that, I don’t know, depending on what kind of tow truck was used to take his truck to the dealership And being that I’ve been told that the speedometer uses the GPS that maybe if they didn’t use a rollback then maybe the truck recorded all those miles while it was being towed from his house to the dealership. But then again the ignition would’ve been turned off so you would think the computer would be smart enough not to record those miles while it was being towed so, I’d like to know a lot more information about this whole thing as to why the computer said he drove a very long time with a hot motor.

squadco343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4. 45,675 mi. My engine overheated out of the blue and within minutes there was sludge coming out of the front of my truck into a puddle. I have extended Maximum care warranty. Had the truck towed to nearest dealer and upon looking at it was told the engine was blown and radiator was blown too. I said ok lets get it all fixed because i have full warranty. A week later the warranty tech finally came out to look at it and Mopar denied my claim. Said the system shows i drove 157 miles after the overheating warning was given. This is completely false as i have pictures, texts and witnesses showing that from when i first had an issue to when i called for tow truck was less than an hour. The vehicle was limped home about a quarter mile at most. I have maintained the truck. Every service was done and documented. There is no modifications or aftermarket parts. Ive never even towed anything with this truck. Its a nightmare. Anyone else have similar issues or advice?
Cremeens Law Group PLLC

I have used them twice and got great results at no cost!

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a little confused and not making any accusations. At first it sounded like you noticed an issue, pulled over immediately, then after a certain amount of time drove it home less than 1 mile away. Then you had it towed to a dealer. But then you claim you have proof that within an hour of towing you had the issues. It's almost reading as if you are saying you had the issue, got it towed from there but also drove it home. Again, not making accusations, but it does sort of read that way from your original post.

Lot of good recommendations here though. I know several people who have had to escalate stiff like this because dealer or somebody responsible wasn't taking responsibility. Almost always, if item is in fact covered, which it sounds like it is in your case, you can win it. But it's not going to be quick unfortunately. And you can't usually go after them for more money for the inconvenience/time they wasted.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm a little confused and not making any accusations. At first it sounded like you noticed an issue, pulled over immediately, then after a certain amount of time drove it home less than 1 mile away. Then you had it towed to a dealer. But then you claim you have proof that within an hour of towing you had the issues. It's almost reading as if you are saying you had the issue, got it towed from there but also drove it home. Again, not making accusations, but it does sort of read that way from your original post.

Lot of good recommendations here though. I know several people who have had to escalate stiff like this because dealer or somebody responsible wasn't taking responsibility. Almost always, if item is in fact covered, which it sounds like it is in your case, you can win it. But it's not going to be quick unfortunately. And you can't usually go after them for more money for the inconvenience/time they wasted.
Agreed, which is why I said he needs to be more consistent in his claims. Inconsistency kills credibility. Sounds like the OP may have a valid case here. Hope he comes out on top.

wwest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I do not pay for extended warranties, or any other unnecessary insurance. Insurance companies are one of the most profitable businesses...worldwide. Figure out the monthly costs for all the warranties and insurance you have and put that money to work for you, not for someone elses business. I bet you will be further ahead. Been doing that all my life and at 76 have been way ahead of insurance poor folks. Just my opinion on risk management.

OP
OP
R

RamJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It actually had a stored misfire code which never threw a check engine light. So I had no idea there was any issues. So they can’t deny me for that. I just got the printout and talked to the tech.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I do not pay for extended warranties, or any other unnecessary insurance. Insurance companies are one of the most profitable businesses...worldwide. Figure out the monthly costs for all the warranties and insurance you have and put that money to work for you, not for someone elses business. I bet you will be further ahead. Been doing that all my life and at 76 have been way ahead of insurance poor folks. Just my opinion on risk management.
Yeah insurance a necessary "evil". I just got a notice of renewal of my House insurance, and low and behold: with all of their algorithms and everything, bill went up $393.00 in one year. U know I called my Insurance agent and had some things adjusted and got it down $290.00.

I do have a Maxcare 8/85K warranty that I bought, but BOIRD is a Unicorn: I have a 2019 bought in 2018 and only 20K on odometer, driveway princess.

OP: If you do not get some satisfaction, I would not wait too long, Lawyer Time, just saying. All IMHO...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I generally tend to be the same way but because of my past experiences is why I can’t necessarily agree with you when it comes to not paying for extended warranties.

My first experience, me and my ex-wife had a 2004 dodge Dakota that had the corporate limited slip rear end and after taking that truck on some fairly gnarly jeep trails up in the south western Colorado Rockies, we ended up having to have the whole rear end rebuilt that ended up costing close to $1700 which was probably really close to what we ended up paying for the extended warranty that we bought when we bought the truck. And yes, I know, the repair ended up costing really close to what we paid for the extended warranty but, it’s a lot easier to come up with that in small increments than it is to come up with that all at once.

My second experience was having to have the AC compressor replaced on my 2008 ram 1500 that I had before the truck I’ve got right now so whatever the total of that repair was, probably didn’t come close to what I ended up paying for the extended warranty on that truck but as far as on my 18, I paid around 3700 for the lifetime warranty on this truck and so far, I’m already about $1500 in because I had to have my whole Uconnect radio replaced due to that delamination on the touchscreen problem that these radios are very notorious for having. I guess I could count having to have my headliner replaced if that would’ve happened after the three years but since it did happen within the three years, my factory warranty paid for that but considering the fact that I’ve got the air suspension which is heavily notorious for problems and being that I have an eight speed transmission that according to Chrysler has a lifetime fill with no maintenance schedule and then to top it all off, I have an engine that is notorious for the hydraulic MDS lifters eating the camshaft so as far as I’m concerned, even if I don’t have to use my warranty I’m still glad I have it just in case something like that happens because $10,000 for a new engine and probably six or $7000 for a new transmission just doesn’t sit well if that has to come out of my pocket.

Being that this discussion is about warranties, I won’t go into how many times having full coverage insurance has saved my butt but I can tell you I feel pretty much the same way about that as well.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I guess I just don’t understand how the computer said he drove that many miles with the engine hot like that when he said he shut it down after he noticed it was hot and let it sit on the side of the road for a while to cool off and then he said he limped it for about a quarter of a mile to his home.....
Read my statement again. Computer set code...he drove it after code was set. Example: It set code on his way back from grocery shopping yesterday. He didn't notice it...He went to the store this morning and came home...He left later to get some beers...He came home. It may not have overheated on THOSE trips, but that code was already set, and it logged the mileage since the code was set.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
It actually had a stored misfire code which never threw a check engine light. So I had no idea there was any issues. So they can’t deny me for that. I just got the printout and talked to the tech.
I'm not trying to insult you....But a code sets, flashes for a short period of time, and disappears. Not all codes keep the dash light glowing. And if you didn't notice the overheat light flashing at you, or the "ding" sound it made, what makes me think you would have ever noticed any other code? Literally...You had to drive that thing HARD and LONG to cook that motor from an overheat. Next time, hang up the phone and pay more attention to that $50k hunk of metal under you. Jeeezus H. Christie....

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read my statement again. Computer set code...he drove it after code was set. Example: It set code on his way back from grocery shopping yesterday. He didn't notice it...He went to the store this morning and came home...He left later to get some beers...He came home. It may not have overheated on THOSE trips, but that code was already set, and it logged the mileage since the code was set.
And well, you might want to reread my statement as well because again, I said I don’t see how the computer could’ve stored that code and not given him any kind of visual warning that it was doing that. Or well, I guess I could see it doing that but really what I’m asking is if it did that then why didn’t give him any warning that it’s logging an overheating event.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I said I don’t see how the computer could’ve stored that code and not given him any kind of visual warning that it was doing that.
Because, it gave him a warning. He didn't hang up the phone long enough to notice. You're giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not...The technology doesn't work that way...It's binary. His story doesn't add up.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
1-800-992-1997 That's the number to call to get Things happening. I have had to call in several time over the last 20 years. They will assist you, a person to help you work this mess through. But do not lie to these people. The computer in your truck will tell when this happened and if you drove a ways after it happened. If you did drive your truck 157 miles after the overheating then you may have to eat this one. When lights come on and the temp gauge goes us, the drive is responsible to keep an eye on these things. But is you had no warning you have a case.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because, it gave him a warning. He didn't hang up the phone long enough to notice. You're giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not...The technology doesn't work that way...It's binary. His story doesn't add up.
Well I guess maybe I am because when these trucks have a problem, they give both an audible and a visual warning on the dash screen that’s pretty hard to miss. Maybe he did miss it, maybe it never gave one, I don’t know but back like when I used to run a pedal commander on my truck, every time the damn thing would trigger my check engine light, it would make a pretty loud chime and it would show right there on the screen, “SERVICE SOON, ELECTRONIC THOTTKE CONTROL FAULT, something like that. You’d have to really be distracted to not see it or hear it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock