warranty denied

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
every time the damn thing would trigger my check engine light, it would make a pretty loud chime and it would show right there on the screen, “SERVICE SOON, ELECTRONIC THOTTKE CONTROL FAULT, something like that. You’d have to really be distracted to not see it or hear it.
Exactly my friend. :cheers:

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Personally I do not pay for extended warranties, or any other unnecessary insurance. Insurance companies are one of the most profitable businesses...worldwide. Figure out the monthly costs for all the warranties and insurance you have and put that money to work for you, not for someone elses business. I bet you will be further ahead. Been doing that all my life and at 76 have been way ahead of insurance poor folks. Just my opinion on risk management.
Absolutely agree.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4. 45,675 mi. My engine overheated out of the blue and within minutes there was sludge coming out of the front of my truck into a puddle. I have extended Maximum care warranty. Had the truck towed to nearest dealer and upon looking at it was told the engine was blown and radiator was blown too. I said ok lets get it all fixed because i have full warranty. A week later the warranty tech finally came out to look at it and Mopar denied my claim. Said the system shows i drove 157 miles after the overheating warning was given. This is completely false as i have pictures, texts and witnesses showing that from when i first had an issue to when i called for tow truck was less than an hour. The vehicle was limped home about a quarter mile at most. I have maintained the truck. Every service was done and documented. There is no modifications or aftermarket parts. Ive never even towed anything with this truck. Its a nightmare. Anyone else have similar issues or advice?
Even if you did drive home after the event happened, and it was 15 miles as you say. you still need to know why this happened. Any chance you had and oil change by a place that screwed up? Sludge like that sounds to me like a mixture of oil and water. You might have to take a partial blame but RAm should find out what the cause was. The dealer where you took it, is that where you bought it? If so go to the general manager.

OP
OP
R

RamJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1-800-992-1997 That's the number to call to get Things happening. I have had to call in several time over the last 20 years. They will assist you, a person to help you work this mess through. But do not lie to these people. The computer in your truck will tell when this happened and if you drove a ways after it happened. If you did drive your truck 157 miles after the overheating then you may have to eat this one. When lights come on and the temp gauge goes us, the drive is responsible to keep an eye on these things. But is you had no warning you have a case.
This vehicle never once gave me a warning light until it overheated that day. No check engine light either. The tech told me that the stored code for engine misfire happened once and did not repeat so it wouldn’t have given me a check engine light

OP
OP
R

RamJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Because, it gave him a warning. He didn't hang up the phone long enough to notice. You're giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not...The technology doesn't work that way...It's binary. His story doesn't add up.
This vehicle never once gave me a warning light until it overheated that day. No check engine light either. The tech told me that the stored code for engine misfire happened once and did not repeat so it wouldn’t have given me a check engine light

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Originally Posted by: Scottly
Exactly my friend. :cheers:

Well, maybe you’re right, maybe he did screw the pooch by not paying attention but being that I wasn’t there, I can only go off of what he said and what he’s saying the warranty tech said. I have no idea and no way to know for sure if the diagnostics gave him adequate warning or not and because nothing is guaranteed to be completely 100% failsafe, I just can’t say yay or nay other than that if he feels he’s right, he better get himself a damn good lawyer because it sounds like he’s gonna need it.

I realize this is nowhere near the same thing and I’m only just using this as an example and who knows, maybe it’s supposed to be this way but either way regardless, until I started playing around with alpha OBD, I would’ve never known that my humidity sensor on my windshield had quit working because there was no warning or notification or anything to suggest otherwise and the only reason why I even found out about it to begin with was because I was actually connected to the body control module with my laptop and it was able to read any fault codes that might’ve been stored on it, or any of the other 20 modules/computers on that truck.

~EDITED~
Didn't realize I quoted the wrong person…

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And you’re exactly 100%, without a doubt, absitively posolutely sure that there was no warning message or chime or anything when that truck started to overheat? If you say it didn’t then do you have any proof that shows otherwise?

At this point I am sort of open to the possibility that it could’ve been a diagnostic problem but I would have to say that would probably be pretty rare so, I’m not saying you are lying but you don’t have to worry about not telling us the truth; it’s convincing the warranty people that you didn’t negligently continue driving this truck after at warned you about the temperature starting to rise in your cooling system.

OP
OP
R

RamJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Read my statement again. Computer set code...he drove it after code was set. Example: It set code on his way back from grocery shopping yesterday. He didn't notice it...He went to the store this morning and came home...He left later to get some beers...He came home. It may not have overheated on THOSE trips, but that code was already set, and it logged the mileage since the code was set.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, you’re not helping your case by just simply repeating the same post three times in a row.

OP
OP
R

RamJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, you’re not helping your case by just simply repeating the same post three times in a row.
I was replying to others instead of retyping it. Just got a call from warranty rep at Mopar. They agreed with my assertion and saw that I couldn’t have known about the code since it didn’t give me a check engine light. They are covering my repairs. So good news. Thanks

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya sounds like you ran in to a paper pusher... Has Code = NO warranty....
Not someone that does the job of what are we seeing? Was the code a "hard" code or temporary/warning code? Was code in relation to failure? Was it set prior to the failure, etc. etc.
But more than likely you got someone that didn't have a clue in automotive and just pushed the paper thru.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya sounds like you ran in to a paper pusher... Has Code = NO warranty....
Not someone that does the job of what are we seeing? Was the code a "hard" code or temporary/warning code? Was code in relation to failure? Was it set prior to the failure, etc. etc.
But more than likely you got someone that didn't have a clue in automotive and just pushed the paper thru.
Irregardless of whether or not he did get any kind of a warning and just didn’t see it, I’d sure like to know what failed within the radiator to cause the engine to overheat in the first place and not only that, I think it’s BS that the radiator was not part of the powertrain warranty because it is a vital part to the engine.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I seriously doubt he'll ever be told what actually caused the failure. With few exceptions, the vehicle owner isn't kept informed to that level of detail.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seriously doubt he'll ever be told what actually caused the failure. With few exceptions, the vehicle owner isn't kept informed to that level of detail.
I guess it just depends on how hard he pushes for the answer. If it were me, I would sure be pushing to see exactly what happened.

Alvin York

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L H.O
And that’s exactly what I did. The first thing I noticed was AC stopped blowing cold. Then I looked at temp gauge. Then I shut truck off.
"The vehicle was limped home about a quarter mile at most." Thats not the same as shutting it down immediately when you first noticed the overheating.

OP
OP
R

RamJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"The vehicle was limped home about a quarter mile at most." Thats not the same as shutting it down immediately when you first noticed the overheating.
At first sign of over heating I shut off the truck for 30 minutes. I was at a store parking lot. No warning lights just engine temp showed higher. When I turned back on temp was normal. So I drove home at 10mph. It was less than a quarter mile. Bottom line is the issues was NOT caused by my quarter mile” limp” home.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep. Especially due to the fact that since warranty’s going to be footing the bill, I would’ve just stayed on the side of the road right there and let the wrecker take it from there because even if he didn’t have that other problem to worry about with him not seeing the warning and all that other stuff, they could of plain and simply denied him just strictly from him admitting that he still drove it a quarter mile home.

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
Yes I cut it off when I saw the temp elevated. I sat there for 30 minutes. Started it back up and temp was normal. Slowly drove home at 10mph which was a quarter mile away. Bottom line is that I didn’t drive 150 miles as the computer says and between for trouble and calling tow truck was about an hour.
The main issue is did you act reasonably once the code was thrown? Based on your posts, I believe you absolutely did. Definitely escalate at corp.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At first sign of over heating I shut off the truck for 30 minutes. I was at a store parking lot. No warning lights just engine temp showed higher. When I turned back on temp was normal. So I drove home at 10mph. It was less than a quarter mile. Bottom line is the issues was NOT caused by my quarter mile” limp” home.
Well maybe not but the thing is, in their eyes, you still drove the truck when it was overheating which meant you were you were running the engine without it having the ability to keep cool, possibly causing more damage.