warranty denied

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I suspect it was the dreaded oil/coolant milkshake, caused by a head gasket failure or cracked head when it overheated. I'm curious to know where it was coming out. I'm assuming the coolant overflow.

Dbrewton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife's 1999 Eldorado overheated from a radiator leak. The computer gave warning and slowed the vehicle to keep from blowing the motor. She pulled over, let it cool, put water in the radiator, left the cap loose to prevent pressure build up from blowing the water out of the small pinhole, and drove over 60 miles home without losing the water and overheating. Everybody that drives should have at least some basic knowledge of how things work, or just call a tow truck everytime a light comes on. As a responsible husband, I taught her basic mechanical skills to get out of trouble when things go wrong...

TacoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4. 45,675 mi. My engine overheated out of the blue and within minutes there was sludge coming out of the front of my truck into a puddle. I have extended Maximum care warranty. Had the truck towed to nearest dealer and upon looking at it was told the engine was blown and radiator was blown too. I said ok lets get it all fixed because i have full warranty. A week later the warranty tech finally came out to look at it and Mopar denied my claim. Said the system shows i drove 157 miles after the overheating warning was given. This is completely false as i have pictures, texts and witnesses showing that from when i first had an issue to when i called for tow truck was less than an hour. The vehicle was limped home about a quarter mile at most. I have maintained the truck. Every service was done and documented. There is no modifications or aftermarket parts. Ive never even towed anything with this truck. Its a nightmare. Anyone else have similar issues or advice?
Whenever I have a breakdown (mechanical or tire problem) I call my insurance company and have them send a tow truck and take the vehicle directly to the shop that will do the work on the car. I don't take chances that driving it further may cause additional problems.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My wife's 1999 Eldorado overheated from a radiator leak. The computer gave warning and slowed the vehicle to keep from blowing the motor. She pulled over, let it cool, put water in the radiator, left the cap loose to prevent pressure build up from blowing the water out of the small pinhole, and drove over 60 miles home without losing the water and overheating. Everybody that drives should have at least some basic knowledge of how things work, or just call a tow truck everytime a light comes on. As a responsible husband, I taught her basic mechanical skills to get out of trouble when things go wrong...
That's a double-edged blade, and not advised in hot weather. Sure, keeping the pressure in the cooling system at or near atmospheric pressure will help keep coolant from leaking out of a pinhole leak. But that also lowers the boiling point of the coolant. And adding straight water dilutes the coolant, and brings the boiling point closer to that of water, which as most people know, is 212 degrees (farenheit). Normal operating temperature of this engine is typically above that, depending on engine load. So if the engine temps are above that you'll end up with your cooling boiling off. Boiling off your coolant is no better than losing it through a pinhole leak.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All I can say is I feel like you did everything right. Once you noticed an issue, you pulled over. Shut it off and let it cool.for 30 minutes...then restarted and saw temp was in normal range so you drove home a quarter mile at a slow speed. If the manufacturer expects any more than that I wouldn't purchase from them again. Glad they decided to cover it like they should!!

smkymtnboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
At first sign of over heating I shut off the truck for 30 minutes. I was at a store parking lot. No warning lights just engine temp showed higher. When I turned back on temp was normal. So I drove home at 10mph. It was less than a quarter mile. Bottom line is the issues was NOT caused by my quarter mile” limp” home.
exactly, code or no code there should have been no failures from mechnical parts on a 2019 with 45900 miles. warranty companies are noted for these shenigans. i have all kinds of diesel motors and computers on these engines see false readings or ghost readings. or dealers claim this when they cannot diagnose. heard it all! no truck that new should be failing. if, it does the manufacturer should take care of it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Wonder what a Lab Test would show ?
Date & notations at last Service ?

I hope it works out in your favor

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was replying to others instead of retyping it. Just got a call from warranty rep at Mopar. They agreed with my assertion and saw that I couldn’t have known about the code since it didn’t give me a check engine light. They are covering my repairs. So good news. Thanks
So I've been watching this thread since it started and I've been waiting to chime in.
There have been so many assertions without facts!
I'm glad to see that you're getting it covered
I never did Read Whether you had 3rd party warranty coverage? or if you had Mopar extended coverage? it sounds like from your last post you had Mopar extended coverage is that true? You must have not been that far out of original Power train warranty, Which makes them not covering it even that more egregious!
Glad they will be covering the costs of the engine And radiator!
From the sounds of your original post you did your due diligence And they finally came to their senses! they will do almost anything to get out of covering a price tag that big.
Yet it's not really good business practice, Especially when the word gets out that a vehicle that new with that low of mileage is blowing engines and Mopar is not covering it with original warranty or extended warranty.
I hope they're gonna give you a loner in the meantime as I'm sure you're gonna be without a truck for quite a while!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RamJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I've been watching this thread since it started and I've been waiting to chime in.
There have been so many assertions without facts!
I'm glad to see that you're getting it covered
I never did Read Whether you had 3rd party warranty coverage? or if you had Mopar extended coverage? it sounds like from your last post you had Mopar extended coverage is that true? You must have not been that far out of original Power train warranty, Which makes them not covering it even that more egregious!
Glad they will be covering the costs of the engine And radiator!
From the sounds of your original post you did your due diligence And they finally came to their senses! they will do almost anything to get out of covering a price tag that big.
Yet it's not really good business practice, Especially when the word gets out that a vehicle that new with that low of mileage is blowing engines and Mopar is not covering it with original warranty or extended warranty.
I hope they're gonna give you a loner in the meantime as I'm sure you're gonna be without a truck for quite a while!
It was Mopar extended warranty because they said the fail point was the radiator. I also have powertrain warranty through 60k miles. If the engine was the fail point the manufacturer powertrain warranty would have covered it. So that’s why it’s Mopar MVP that I’m dealing with.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was Mopar extended warranty because they said the fail point was the radiator. I also have powertrain warranty through 60k miles. If the engine was the fail point the manufacturer powertrain warranty would have covered it. So that’s why it’s Mopar MVP that I’m dealing with.
I’m glad your warranty is helping you out because I pretty much have the same thing you do except the one I have is one of the last lifetime warranties that they were offering but hopefully you’re not too upset at them because in a way, you have to kind of put yourself in their shoes because based on the situation, if it looks like there was a possibility of negligence, you really can’t expect them to pay for someone's repair when it’s so easy to appear they could’ve had a lot to do with it and contributed to a lot more damage that could’ve been saved, being that there are a lot of little tattletale stuff on these newer vehicles that makes it harder to cheat. The downfall though, when you’re innocent, it makes it harder to prove that if something didn’t get quite recorded right to where it would make it easier for them to put the screws to you. That’s why even though you pulled it over and shut it off when you noticed it getting really hot, I think I would’ve just not risked any further damage by continuing to drive it and just called for a tow truck. I know that sounds extreme but now you realize that just because you thought you were doing something OK that you came really close to having to pay for this out-of-pocket instead of having the warranty that you paid a lot of money for take care of it.

ramcharger1967

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The radiator was not your initial failure. It was most likely the oil cooler. The oil cooler is on the engine and part of the oil filter adapter. Coolant flows through that.
It was likely very low on oil due to the oil cooler leaking oil into the cooling system.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bottom line here your engine temp goes up like that and you get a warning or not there is something wrong, shut it down, call a tow truck don't let it cool down and restart it and limp it home, Probably the oil cooler failing and putting engine oil in the cooling system, causing milky antifreeze to come out of the overflow jug, when you saw that it should of set an alarm off in your head, you are very fortunate they cover it!!!

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know that's really weird my understanding always was, powertrain meant anything connected Or controlling, meaning controlling the engine or transmission Such as a radiator. Or let's say the shifter controlling the transmission. I guess they see it differently obviously.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Sometimes there is no pulling over and stopping.
I can think of a number of bridges that require you to keep moving no matter how slow rather than stop and block a lane.
I worked with a guy years ago who broke down on the Walt Whitman Bridge from Philly to NJ. Bridge police came up behind him and pushed him across the bridge. Then let him call a tow truck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometimes there is no pulling over and stopping.
I can think of a number of bridges that require you to keep moving no matter how slow rather than stop and block a lane.
I worked with a guy years ago who broke down on the Walt Whitman Bridge from Philly to NJ. Bridge police came up behind him and pushed him across the bridge. Then let him call a tow truck.
Well yeah, there are certain situations where you can’t just pull over anywhere but if that were the case, I would hope the warranty people would take that into consideration but the thing is, you pull over when you can and if you don’t, you could be in a pickle just like how the OP almost was.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is an interesting thread as I am getting ready to spend almost $4k on an extended warranty....

@odinjunior Just a tip. Don't spend that much. Contact Granger CDJR in Granger Iowa for a $50 over cost price. Also Chrysler Warranty Direct (dealer in Michigan I believe) have better pricing. It's the same genuine Mopar Warranty you'll get from your dealer for a much better price.

I bought from Granger (contacted them by email), and it was a smooth and easy process.

Last edited: