Warranty Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Forrest Alley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001, 2020
Engine
5.9 Cummins and 6.4 Hime
I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I seem ignorant.

I'm 65 years old so take that into consideration, I have own 2 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4, a 92 and a 2001 that I still have. I have never done any type of modification to either. But on this forum and YouTube every body seems to be talking about modification in one forum or another.

I have a new 2020 on order, it was supposed to be shipped on the 9th of November, now I'm told it should be here the first week of December. My question is, do these modifications void the factory warranty?. For example I just finished reading a thread about the pedal commander and someone asked this very question about does it void the factory warranty, that question was never fully answered, in my opinion.

And sence I don't fully understand alot about some of these modifications you guys do. I really would like to see on this forum, when you talk about modification, it really would be nice if you would say Whether or not it voids the factory warranty.

Thanks and just my 2c

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In you example of the pedal commander, that would not be a modification, since it does not change the trucks original OEM assembly or software configuration.
A modification would be consider a change in the original production or OEM recommended specs. Not all modifications or changes void warranty and some absolutely will void warranty. It really depends on what you are trying to do. Things like bolt on horse power components, axle gearing, compression would probably be considered a major modification and definitely void warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
My 2c from a 44yr old guy, is that you should feel free to get some opinions on this forum but don't trust anyone regarding your warranty. Ask the guys at the dealership, and most importantly read the actual warranty.

Now I'm a ***** who pretty much leaves his vehicles stock except for changing out the radio and adding DeeZee tailgate assist. I would think that most things messing with the engine would put a pinch on any warranty claims.

kirwinjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 Dodge Ram. I supposedly have a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on it.
Wondering the same thing. Planning to have a lift kit installed..
I graduated from law school and I can make neither heads nor tails reading through the fine print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2016 Dodge Ram. I supposedly have a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on it.
I graduated from law school and I can make neither heads nor tails reading through the fine print.

This is from my maxcare lifetime warranty in the section " This plan won't cover loss or expenses resulting from"
Lift kits that exceed two (2) inches; repairs to covered components that are the direct result of the failure of a lift kit that exceeds two (2) inches;

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I seem ignorant.

I'm 65 years old so take that into consideration, I have own 2 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4, a 92 and a 2001 that I still have. I have never done any type of modification to either. But on this forum and YouTube every body seems to be talking about modification in one forum or another.

I have a new 2020 on order, it was supposed to be shipped on the 9th of November, now I'm told it should be here the first week of December. My question is, do these modifications void the factory warranty?. For example I just finished reading a thread about the pedal commander and someone asked this very question about does it void the factory warranty, that question was never fully answered, in my opinion.

And sence I don't fully understand alot about some of these modifications you guys do. I really would like to see on this forum, when you talk about modification, it really would be nice if you would say Whether or not it voids the factory warranty.

Thanks and just my 2c
A Pedal Commander (PC) is connected between the gas pedal circuit and the cable that connects to it. If taking a truck with a PC into the dealer a lot of members here recommend removing it from your truck when in for service. If the dealer service department want to be assholes they could give yoy a hard time about it. Once disconnected there is no way they will know you have one unless you leave it sitting in your console.:rolleyes:

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
:cheers:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The original question is not quite that cut and dry. It depends on the modification and the specific part that needs warranty work. You can put a lift kit and bigger tires on the truck and while it is likely warranty claims on the suspension, steering, and other parts directly related to the suspension can be denied, there is no reason they should deny warranty coverage on something like the radio or power seats. There is a law that states that non-factory/non-OEM components do not void the warranty unless those parts caused the failure. This law was not just for "modifications" or accessories but also so you could use non-factory replacement parts like oil and air filters. Regarding the Pedal Commander that most definitely is a modification

The problem you do get into is many people, include techs at a dealership, do not have a good understanding of the law and/or the relationship between the modification and whether it is reasonable for it to have caused the failure. It also depends on the dealerships view on it. The manufacturer is the on who ultimately approves or denies the warranty claim but it is highly dependent on how the dealership presents the issue to them. Some will nit pick everything about the truck to try to get out of the warranty and some will fix it nobody what. The dealership is under some pressure from the manufacturer to make sure any warranty claim is legit. For example if a guy in a diesel truck had a maxed out tune on his engine so it made 900 HP and blew out the tranny it really shouldn't be covered under warranty. If the dealer turned a blind eye to the tune and filed a warranty claim and then got caught doing so they could get in trouble from the manufacturer. Many people will also get on here and say that they (the manufacturer) can't deny the warranty unless they prove the aftermarket modification caused the failure....well, not really....they don't have to prove anything to deny the claim. It would be up to you to take legal action and prove it and make them pay. Just get a lawyer right? Well, they aren't exactly cheap so you have to decide if it's worth hiring a lawyer to get the repairs done.

Roy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Granite Chrystal Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I too have a 2016 with the lifetime warranty. My dealer told me I could level but not lift and do not go over 34" tires. That came from the owner of the dealership where I bought the truck and warranty

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is a Crapshoot ,however this or that particular dealer sees or feels or whichever way the wind blows on that day.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
In the case of the Pedal Commander, I have used one for three+ years and have never disabled/disconnected it when going to the dealer for warranty and non-warranty work. In my case, the dealer doesn't care.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I too have a 2016 with the lifetime warranty. My dealer told me I could level but not lift and do not go over 34" tires. That came from the owner of the dealership where I bought the truck and warranty
Not so, look at my post #5 above. That is right out of my maxcare lifetime warranty that allows a max 2" lift so your dealer can't change that.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Warranties are generally best for people who don't plan to do a bunch of modifications. As you're finding, clear cut answers are hard to come by. You can ask the dealer but they usually just give their favorite stock answer which is that everything will void the warranty.

One thing that has been pretty consistent is the 2" lift kit and one size up in tires will generally be tolerated. Also, there is some difference between the standard warranty and extended ones (technically called "service contracts").

I believe the standard warranty falls under the Magnuson-Moss Act and the extended ones don't. What that means in English is with the extended warranties the dealer/manufacturer has an easier time denying your claim.

A lot really comes down to how much of a fight do you want to have on your hands when something goes wrong.

From hanging out on this boards for years I can tell you there is A LOT of variation between dealers and you do yourself a big favor by having a good relationship with yours.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agree with much of the response to this question, it ultimately falls on the dealer's discretion and their interpretation of FCA's directions. I see many posters here saying they wait on larger moda until warranty expires, then do what they want. And even though the Maxcare paperwork allows up to 2 inches, if there is a bad installation or the dealer sees anything they don't like, you can kiss the warranty goodbye. If you really want to do things but are unsure, have work done at a Ram dealership. Then you may have more protection. But I will say, I really like to see the work people here do on their trucks. The pictures are awesome and gives me an escape during the day. My next thing is Katzkin leather, just not sure I can tackle myself and not sure I want to pay an installer.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am no expert at all but here's my dump on it, ponder this:
1. Implied warranty
2. Expressed warranty
3. Manufacturers warranty
4. Extended warranty
5. Guarantee.
If you order a pizza, who says it must me be assembled as sauce on crust,cheese on sauce and pepperoni on cheese? And placed in box crust side down?

My point being, replacing your wheel wouldn't void your paint warranty.
Your vehicle has a expectation to perform as a vehicle, free of defect and to reasonable fitness. That's what consumer protection laws give us, they make sure our pizza ingredients aren't just dumped in a box and sold, even in the absence of a warranty or guarantee.
Understanding your OEM warranty is tough, understanding the dealership's role in that is tougher.
The term "bumber to bumber warranty " it's neither measurable or quantifiable. That's why warranty exceptions statements like fluids, oils, wearable parts and routine maintenance items such as.....and so.
Read your oem warranty, understand what is implied and what is expressed. Is your extended warranty, a warranty or just insurance. Some of the biggest scams come by way of 3rd party warranties. A three inch suspension lift will not void a warranty on your audio speaker or your paint. Know your warranty type, read it, know your extended warranty, Dealership's are not obligated to 3rd party extended warranty.
I would say most consumers lose a warranty challenge because they don't know their warranty and what they are asking of the dealership and the oem for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Forrest Alley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001, 2020
Engine
5.9 Cummins and 6.4 Hime
Thanks guys
I really do appreciate all of your responses, I ordered a new 2020 2500 back September and I'm still waiting, it was supposed to be shipped on November 11. Now nobody knows anything other than the code now is KZLD, going into the 13 week. I'll probably keep it stock, although I do occasionaly wish I had a jack up truck just to go play in some mud.