Water Damage - Dodge claims no warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 dose the exact same thing. I went to the dodge house I bought it from and told them and all they said was it’s common with these model trucks and there is nothing they can do. It’s irritating as hell I’ve changed the gasket still leaking changed the whole housing still leaks I’ve given up all I can do is tape it up with frog tape before it rains. So basically I have to drive around with green tape all around my third break light every time it looks like rain. First and last Ram for me I totally regret trading my Tahoe.
I had the same thing in my 2013 Longhorn ... I used some dense foam household weather stripping to replace the factory one ... It was a bit tight when I put the lens cover back on, but when it was all said and done, no more issues ... I was lucky though, since I found the problem before water got into the cab as the light bulb burned out first which caught my attention ...

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Hey everyone,

I have a 2018 6.7L crew cab 4x4. purchased brand new in 2017 from Clovis Dodge out of CA. Had a terrible experience buying from them so I ended up taking my truck to the dealership across town (owned by the same company). September 2021 I was deployed and I returned to my vehicle Jan 10 2022. Opened my door and a foul odor of mold and mildew hit me. There was water dripping from the oh **** handles and from the visors, the carpet was completely soaked front of cab to beneath the rear seats, and mold can be seen throughout the cab. I dropped my truck off at Fresno Dodge in CA. Was told that the gasket on the third brake light was bad and was leaking. I asked if that would be covered under my extended 6 year 100k mile warranty along with the obvious damage to my roof cab liner, carpet, seat, dash, radio. I was informed that the gasket is not covered and all the damage due to the leaking gasket is not covered.

Kind of at a loss for words with this dealership, if anyone has any advice on what to do please contact me. I have contacted my insurance company but I feel as if this factory defect should be covered along with the obvious damage to my truck.
Why aren't gaskets covered? I'd be calling local TV... and 1-800-LEMON-LAW. They got me a couple $K for wife's Nissan wipers that liked to shut off in the rain but run in the sunshine.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found my 2020 with leaking water into cab. I can only assume its coming from the 3 points of interest that Ram is aware of.
Antenna, 3rd light and seem on roof. It can also be the window itself which i doubt and i read someone saying the door weather stripping. This should be a recall since this is a hazard to air bags, seat belt tensioners, electric short or shock plus the mold and mildew. Im under warranty still, but they want me to pay for rental and keep vehicle for over a month. Ram knows this issue is in all models and years but they quietly fix them. instead of sending a recall to fix issue before the mess and customer complaints.
Damn dude that is BS. Looks like a warlock. How many miles ?

DanM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
19000..still under 3/36000 miles so we will see

daCelt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow man. Sorry to hear about your trouble. I'm having an issue with my 2009 that the cargo box under the drivers side back seat fills up with water every time it rains. I used weatherstrip sealant on the left rear door interior weatherstrip since it would come down off the body a little if you touched it. I have no staining on the headliner and am still getting the water. Will it take on that much water via the CHMSL without staining the headliner or could it be coming in from some vent somewhere?

This is the only issue that I've had (among a few) that make me not want to buy another Dodge.

RickD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I own a 2014 Ram 1500 ecodiesel and love it! Upon returning from a month in Scotland I backed out of my driveway and found a new feature had been added in my absence....a shower was apparently installed..Water pouring from above windshield!
Took it to my dealer and was told the problem was the third brake light and the two cabin exhaust ports, that'll be $1500 please....
No warrantee covers this, though it is obviously a manufacturing defect..Hope to join a class action suit against Chrysler...but darn it, I still love that truck.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 dose the exact same thing. I went to the dodge house I bought it from and told them and all they said was it’s common with these model trucks and there is nothing they can do. It’s irritating as hell I’ve changed the gasket still leaking changed the whole housing still leaks I’ve given up all I can do is tape it up with frog tape before it rains. So basically I have to drive around with green tape all around my third break light every time it looks like rain. First and last Ram for me I totally regret trading my Tahoe.
Keifus,
I used Dum-Dum filler (calking cord) as the 3rd brake light seal. First used it on my 98.5 2nd Gen and now on this 2014 4th Gen.
Try it, it works.
Best of luck fighting Ram.
71q7hf12bpL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I own a 2014 Ram 1500 ecodiesel and love it! Upon returning from a month in Scotland I backed out of my driveway and found a new feature had been added in my absence....a shower was apparently installed..Water pouring from above windshield!
Took it to my dealer and was told the problem was the third brake light and the two cabin exhaust ports, that'll be $1500 please....
No warrantee covers this, though it is obviously a manufacturing defect..Hope to join a class action suit against Chrysler...but darn it, I still love that truck.
Good luck fighting Ram over a nine year old seal and possibly two old vents. It’s reasonable to expect weather seals to wear out after nine years. The third brake light seal is about $15 or you can buy the Doorman light replacement with a new seal attached for $40. The two exhaust vents are less than $30 for both. It will take you longer to pull the rear seats out than replacing the vents. Those seals were probably leaking long before you went on your trip but you didn’t notice.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My warranty is through Mopar and I have the warranty paperwork on it with the VIN and my name and old address. I will shoot @RamCares a direct message
Hey!

Thanks so much for tagging us in this. We'd definitely love to hear more about this and see if we can help, so please do send us a DM!

Callie
Ram Cares

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have USAA and from my coworkers have they usually will get the problem taken care of. The carpet and seats were molded and mildewed. the headliner has water damage marks on them so im assuming that will be changed as well. if insurance doesn't cover it all then I will have to take those suggestions into mind when im working on it to get it all cleaned up. Thank you.

Old post - what did you resolve with this matter?

Gummore

Reaction score
It's baffling to think that a leaking gasket wouldn't be covered under warranty, especially considering the extent of the damage it caused to your truck. I can understand your frustration with feeling like you're hitting a dead end with both the dealership and your insurance company. It's situations like these where finding the right help can make all the difference. Have you considered reaching out to a professional water damage restoration company? I came across TX Water Damage Restoration Company and their website alldryus.com seems pretty legit. Maybe they can offer some insight or assistance in dealing with the aftermath of this ordeal.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It's baffling to think that a leaking gasket wouldn't be covered under warranty, especially considering the extent of the damage it caused to your truck. I can understand your frustration with feeling like you're hitting a dead end with both the dealership and your insurance company. It's situations like these where finding the right help can make all the difference. Have you considered reaching out to a professional water damage restoration company? I came across TX Water Damage Restoration Company and their website alldryus.com seems pretty legit. Maybe they can offer some insight or assistance in dealing with the aftermath of this ordeal.
I've seen this reported frequently actually with third party warranties. In many cases, if it's just the gasket it's not covered, but if you wait for a more catastophic failure it is covered (so long as the gasket wasn't reported as the issue first). So if the head is warped, covered...