Water fountain sounds in dash, very damp heat out of no where? in a 2015 Sport 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdamike

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and a 1999
Engine
This kinda just happened out of nowhere, we noticed some water noises coming from what sounded like the lower driver side of the dash. Almost like one of those tiny plug in water fountains were running, circulating water slowly. I should note, I do not seem to feel or see any leaks in the cab or out. But now when we use the heat, it seems very damp and humid, it also smells different too. Hard to explain but its just totally different. Anyone else have any experience with something similar?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
This kinda just happened out of nowhere, we noticed some water noises coming from what sounded like the lower driver side of the dash. Almost like one of those tiny plug in water fountains were running, circulating water slowly. I should note, I do not seem to feel or see any leaks in the cab or out. But now when we use the heat, it seems very damp and humid, it also smells different too. Hard to explain but its just totally different. Anyone else have any experience with something similar?
Sometimes you can hear the refrigerant equalizing in the system after system is shut off. That almost exactly the sound you described. But the damp and humid would indicate a leak that of some type.

OP
OP
S

sdamike

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and a 1999
Engine
Well, its still under warranty so I guess its going to the dealer. Thanks for the input guys!

Ballistic308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Check the AC drain hose for blockages. Spider have make nests in them and moistures will collect from the AC radiator which in time will build up and have water sloshing around; especially when rounding corners.

OP
OP
S

sdamike

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and a 1999
Engine
Check the AC drain hose for blockages. Spider have make nests in them and moistures will collect from the AC radiator which in time will build up and have water sloshing around; especially when rounding corners.

Would it still make noise standing still? Thats how we first noticed it was with the truck running at idle at a red light.

Ballistic308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Possibly, but only if the fan were running. I may have missed that in your post.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If it smells of anti-freeze then the heater core/hose is probably the issue. If it does not, then it's probably the AC drain.

-K

OP
OP
S

sdamike

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and a 1999
Engine
Does it matter if the A/C wasnt on? I really only noticed the dampness with the heat on (its been cold here since this happened)

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Does it matter if the A/C wasnt on? I really only noticed the dampness with the heat on (its been cold here since this happened)

The AC compressor runs when the defroster is on to dry the air out that blows on the windshield, so it would still be producing condensation that needs to drain.

-K

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Air in the coolant will make a waterfall sound from the right side dash. Question is why and one possibility is low coolant and that might be from a leaking cooling system and since you notice moisture in the air the leak might be the heater core.

If there is no leak you can get the air bubbles out of the system by parking on a steep uphill place and taking off the radiator cap. Got to be careful whenever to take off a cap like that. Then keep adding coolant and let the motor warm up. Watch for bubbles and when you don't see any more put the cap back on. Worked for me on my new 2018 this spring.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
This. My wifes Journey was so full of water the blower motor was spinning in water when you turned corners. The drain hose has 2 90 degree bends so I couldn't push anything through it. I blew air up it with an air hose and released a lot of water all over me and my shop floor. It started out leaking on the passenger side floor and making sloshing sounds.