Water getting in the rear seat vents?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheffrank_357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hem 5.7
Anybody know why or how this can happen? How to prevent it?
Should i seal it up? I live in so fla so we can get some rain..83648fe0bc9e11114fcefa2cdbdc49c3.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sunroof? If so the sun roof drains get clogged. The rear ones exit from the back of the cab. You can see them looking between the cab and bed. I took a long wooden shim and poked them and a bunch of water ran out of them. The front drains exit on the door post by the door hinges. The third brake light is another possibility as well as rear window. Try the drains first.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Vents are probably not the issue and plugging them will make closing the door an unpleasant experience. If you have a sunroof check the drains, but the most common leak in that area is third brake light seal.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Vents are probably not the issue and plugging them will make closing the door an unpleasant experience. If you have a sunroof check the drains, but the most common leak in that area is third brake light seal.

that’s what I said lol. Never mentioned vents.

Reactions: BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Title of the thread is water getting in the rear seat vents and asked if he should seal it up so figured that was worth addressing.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My truck is a Gen 4. There was an issue I read about on hear some time ago, where the gasket around the third tail light/ bed light on the roof was defective. I removed mine and RTV'd the heck out of , as a preventative item before mine leaked.

OP
OP
C

cheffrank_357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hem 5.7
I took the carpet out yesterday and the 1 back seat ( small seat)
Behind that seat i removed water logged insulation that was around the vent that i thought was letting water in
But i found more water on the other side of the truck by the door jam after removing the carpet from there
Ill look at the brake light
I dont have a sunroof
The seats are probably ruined not sure. If ill reuse them they are moldy

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Run water over the back window as some people have had that leak also.

Octane

Reaction score
Title of the thread is water getting in the rear seat vents and asked if he should seal it up so figured that was worth addressing.
I had a ranger once that the third brake light didnt leak but found water was coming in thru a 1/4 " spot at frame of back glass that factory didnt seal.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Give the seats a good scrub with carpet cleaner and a brush to clean them as deep as possible then get out as much moisture as you can before leaving them to dry somewhere warm and you can decide from there on the mold issue. Having the seats out and the back wall cover panel off should make it easier to see the source while its raining, somebody sprays the truck woth a hose or you go through a touchless car wash.

OP
OP
C

cheffrank_357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hem 5.7
Give the seats a good scrub with carpet cleaner and a brush to clean them as deep as possible then get out as much moisture as you can before leaving them to dry somewhere warm and you can decide from there on the mold issue. Having the seats out and the back wall cover panel off should make it easier to see the source while its raining, somebody sprays the truck woth a hose or you go through a touchless car wash.
Thats prob what ill do
I go thru the car wash quite often...
So il tear the back seats out then leave them in the garage for a few weeks
And see whats up
Not sure about cleaning the seats and all that. They may not be worth it
Have to go and check out the upull it and see if i can get some better ones
Thanks!

OP
OP
C

cheffrank_357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hem 5.7
Ok
So i pulled the 40 seat out
Replaced the carpet
The hinges on both seats are rusted as f#!$@ck
They no longer really work
Ive been shooting them with wd 40 but to no effect really
I think it was going thru the car wash to much and letting it sit that caused the mold and rust
Ill get some dry d air Maybey and see what that does
I might replace the seats i found some on offer up for a 2016 ram ill go check the clearances . its a 60 40 and just the hinges themselves are like 125 each ( need 4) so well see...

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As far as antiseize goes acetone and brake fluid 50/50 is my go to, but also strips paint. As far as off the shelf stuff I've had good luck with kroil. Wd40 is good for getting the surface rust off and for stuff that's just a little stuck.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used a penetrant called Thrust made by castle products it works great, was the 3rd brake light seal bad?

OP
OP
C

cheffrank_357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hem 5.7
The 3rd brake light is fine
I took it thru the car wash i dont see any leaks
It must have been from leaving it parked