water in fuel filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
has anyone with the 6.7 cummins gotten the message it talks about in the book? if so is it periodical or just have to do with bad fuel?

I have located both of my filters.. if and when i get a message in the EVIC do i need to drain both of them? how much do you drain out.. if i let it keep draining it will drain my fuel to right?

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've changed fuel filters for these trucks already. From what I have seen, I think the senor is just in the frame mounted canister.

There should be no reason you get this message if you get good fuel and you drive a lot. It would take a lot of water to build up to trigger the sensor.

one of trucks I did a filter change for had 60K miles on it, and I've done the last 2 filter changes on it and he has never had this light in the 60K miles it has on it.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drain until the liquid coming out isn't water anymore, but diesel.

If you drain all the fuel out you will need to follow the procedure described after changing the filter to fill the housing back up with fuel.

Prairie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 2015 2500 6.7 so for the last year I repeated have my water in fuel light go off. Have the procedure I have taken to techs and have them do it and change the filers. I have replaced 4 filters in 4 months and less than 2000 miles. I have switched where I get fuel.I add howes additive, I went to a dealer last month for overall service had them drain and put new filters on… I have less than 70 new miles and it comes on again which is usually at a 3rd a tank I add a few gallon 5 to 7 light goes of. By the way the dealship tech told me can’t be the sensors because they don’t fail, hmmm. Drain the tank or replace the sensors??? This truck has 60000 miles total on it

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sensors fail ,dealers lie. Find another dealer ,this one seems to like seeing you much to often. Might inspect the top of your fuel tank to be sure water is not finding its way in there , maybe a bad seal where the pump attaches.

Prairie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks. I do have a appointment with another dealer for looking into heater not working crossing my fingers it is the actuator door… I do have a o ring sealed cover over my inlet.
Will check at the tank too.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks. I do have a appointment with another dealer for looking into heater not working crossing my fingers it is the actuator door… I do have a o ring sealed cover over my inlet.
Will check at the tank too.
but do recall some trucks allowed water to get into the tank VIA a vent on the top of the tank that just had a short hose attached to it...

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
'18 here. Water sensor #68197868AB. Bottom of rear filter
1676728858692.png

OP, need to put in alteast the year to help us help you when asking for help Profile would be a good place to start

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Diesel fuel frequently has small amounts of water in it. Moisture can condense in your tank especially in cold weather. Drain about a pint or a little more from your filters. I like to use the diesel additive that comes in the white bottle available at every truck stop. It helps to adsorb water and take it out of your fuel system.

Prairie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thank you everyone for the input. A quick update
Took it to another dealer I explained it might be actuator or heater core and I would like the worse case estimate… they came in 500 less than the other dealer. They replaced the actuator door . Hammer the heck out of my heater core and actually got the system flushed… they replaced the rear fuel sensor… charged me $250 Working fine . Oh yeah this place is 45 miles away. I just had hand surgery so one of the salesmen who lives in my town volunteered to pick it up and bring it back…Guess who gets my business