Water leak at front of cab.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hello all,

Just figured I'd post my findings:

Went for a couple night getaway in Grand Forks ND, and was the first time that my 2018 has been outside overnight. I received the truck in December of 2017 and has been in the garage every night since. There was a thunderstorm that came through, and lo and behold, the drivers floor mat was full of water when we went to leave the hotel this AM.

I saw drips coming from the drivers grab handle screw covers, so I assumed it was likely not the 3rd brake light, and was either the sunroof or the satellite radio antenna.

Drove 2 hours home, and water very sporadically dripped from the screw cover onto my knee. Got it home and investigated.

Pulled the headliner down a bit and found the one 10mm hex bolt that secured the satellite radio antenna, and loosened it. Water came from inside the antenna perimeter gasket. Bingo (fingers crossed).

I simply used RTV silicone on the INSIDE perimeter of the satellite radio (shark fin at drivers front of cab) gasket, and the very small square shaped foam gasket around the wire/bolt provision and bolted it back down.

While I was at it, I folded up the tonneau cover and sealed the 3rd brake light the same way.

Just a piece of info for anyone with newer trucks that haven't discovered this yet. This is the first "quirk" of this new truck (aside from hill decent control not working properly, but is far less concerning than water leaks) and was an easy fix. I'm a self employed diesel mechanic by trade, so diving into this doesnt bother me. Definitely not worth my time to drop off at a dealer, that's forsure!

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hopefully, that fixed it, knock on wood for me as no "quirks" have arisen on my truck. Did the water stain the headliner? Also, I hope you have the LED third light because now that you caulked it that is gonna be a ***** to change a bulb.

When you mentioned your shark fin being at the front of your cab it got me wondering why the shark fins are not universally placed. While driving I notice them in different locations, mine, for example, is on drivers side rear of the cab.

Now I am wondering if I should just RTV the fin preemptively as it sits in the driveway as it is too long for the garage.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you mentioned your shark fin being at the front of your cab it got me wondering why the shark fins are not universally placed. While driving I notice them in different locations, mine, for example, is on drivers side rear of the cab.

the sharkfin is up front on the 2500's and 3500's so they can have a big overhead camper trailer

Mud-flaps-Ram-truck-Northstar-camper.jpg

OP
OP
R

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yes sir, I just used house bathroom grade clear silicone (basically garbage for it’s intended use) on the 3rd brake/camera. It’s LED so I took my chances.

No water stain on headliner, just a few droplets on top, but most seemed to have pooled in the a pillar trim, and the floor mat.

lobsterbake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
Can you tell if the leak was coming from the top of the outside seal gasket next to the actual antenna or the part of the gasket closesest to and that seals to the paint? I see a rubber gasket on the bottom before the actual plastic antenna to clarify what I mean. I have attached a picture of a shark fin antenna I took when doing a test drive to make sure would fit in my garage. I have a Ram 2500 CTD on order.

Thanks,

Mark

962C2DF3-5399-4D10-80A1-7B794918FA5E.jpeg

OP
OP
R

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hello Mark,

I could not precisely tell whether it was coming from between the paint and gasket, or antenna and gasket. However, I did note that the gasket was firmly affixed to the antenna, but was definitely loose on the painted surface.

By the time I had gotten home and dismantled it, there was definitely water inside the perimeter of the outer gasket, (one you can see from the exterior of the antenna) and obviously since there was water inside the cab of the truck, I deduced that it had permeated the inner foam gasket as well.

I applied silicone on both gaskets.

fullmonte60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
my 2017 2500 has had this issue parking at a number of different angles with water coming out the grab handles. last night it was parked with the front parked at a higher elevation than the rear and the water flowed thru the handles. on my 2011 due to the 3rd brake light issue, i would notice the headliner get damp (until i sealed it).

Articlonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just noticed this same drip in my 2015. How hard is it to take the headliner down?

OP
OP
R

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Its fairly easy really. Im glad its not in the middle of the cab though.

Just carefully remove the screw caps in the drivers grab handle a pillar trim, and remove the two bolts.

The A pillar trim/grab handle will pull up slightly from the dash pad, and pull away from the truck.
Then remove the screws holding the sun visor to its hinge.
There is enough room to GENTLY get your hand between the headliner and cab roof to remove the one bolt. Be mindful to NOT crease the headliner, as you will likely see that afterwards for a long time, maybe forever, after its all back together. Good luck!

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What kind of screws holding the shark fin down? When I was washing my truck the other day, I noticed the fin was a little loose. It’s not leaking but would be nice to tighten it up.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a bead of clear RTV around my sharkfin, no leaks since.

OP
OP
R

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It’s a 10mm bolt, or stud and 10mm nut, I can’t recall. Either way, a 1/4” drive shallow socket and short ratchet got the job done.

Articlonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just noticed that your antenna is in the front? Mine is in the back. Hopefully I can just take the back corner down? I bought the marine weatherstripping to put under. Bought the truck 3 weeks ago, so hoping this will be fixed by the dealer under the 30 day warranty. But I'm prepared for plan b!

Warren

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So water could travel from the 3rd brake light to the driver side pillar?
I have an 18 tradesman crewcab with the sat antenna in the rear. I have been having major condensation on the front windows every night. Yesterday the grab handle started leaking through the cap as well.

OP
OP
R

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Anything could happen, but my situation was definitely caused by the sat antenna.
Of note, the 1500 has this antenna at the rear of the cab, 2500/3500 have it at the front.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I found the plastic running light leneses on the front of the cab of the HD , were stress cracked from just being exposed to the elements I guess. But had to replace 3 of them so far.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found the plastic running light leneses on the front of the cab of the HD , were stress cracked from just being exposed to the elements I guess. But had to replace 3 of them so far.

There’s a technical service bulletin on it, they were over tightened during assembly and the dealer will replace for free