Water leak in passenger footwell not coming from cowl or door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
Only happens if the rain is heavy.
Had the cowl cleaned, no difference, carefully inspected the door, seems solid.
Waited for the next rainstorm, cleared some space, watched the water start forming where the picture is circled.
Interestingly after the rain stopped and I opened the door, the door area was dry.
So doesn't appear to be coming from above or from the door, I feel like it's coming in and the coming up through a crack where the floor rubber is meeting the edge.
Has anyone else experienced this?temp_Ram_leak_.jpg

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could it be coming in from behind the kick out panel that goes under the dash in front of the door?

(I keep my fingers crossed on water issues)

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year is the truck? Does the truck have a sunroof? Will the water appear when you're driving in the rain or when the truck is stationary? You may want to remove the kick panel to further verify its not coming from somewhere higher. Obviously the water will run down not up. Also you may want to use a garden hose and concentrate the flow or spray on certain isolated area's. Spray the gap between the door and the front fender and up on the cowl in that corner

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've had it leak from the headliner, down through the C-pillar and kick panel into the corner on the drivers side. Those panels just pop off if you wanted to check for moisture. The antenna and third brake light have both leaked so far. Where it came out depended on how I was parked.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Several years back
many people were having water running down the passenger side "A" Pillar.
With the 4 Gens, you could pop the screw cover off & see water sometimes.

Remember, if you decide to remove that screw & pull that pillar panel, there is a Crash Cushion in there.
Disconnecting the Negative - Battery Post Cable, might be a good Safety Caution

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
My truck is a 2006 RWD V6 w no sunrooof
No water appears when driving in the rain.
Only when stationary and during a heavy rain?
Garden hose has been tried before all over, no leaks.
I'll remove the kick panel next heavy rain.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Open the passenger side door. There is a seal that runs around the door opening. Check to make sure that the rubber seal where it folds up against the body is not full of debris, or pulled out away from the body down by the base of the A pillar.

Last time I cleaned those seals I had all kinds of crap between the seal and the body. In your case it could be damming up or pulling away from the body allowing water to enter.

Also check where the fender screws into the body down by the bottom front of the door. Make sure it's not full of crap there

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure your door drains are clear, I use a zip tie to clean them out, also make sure your A/C drain for the evaporator is clear.

Last edited:

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have any type of lift or leveling kit? Mine was doing the same thing and it was the a/c water not draining. Mine sits a tad nose high after my lift and the a/c water had nowhere to go. So when it filled up instead of draining out from under the hood in a downward position it would dribble out the tube and run backwards under the tube and back into the truck. Gravity rules.

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Take a look at the door hinges. On the upper hinge there is a hinge pin with a brass bearing of sorts that the door spring lever ride on. With the door open lift up on door itself from the handle side. If there is significant movement at that spot in the hinge the door may not be sealing currently when its shut. The rub is the door seal may look fine however the door is not closing square in the seal.

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
got around to pulling off the passenger kick panel, lots of water in the groove.
pulled up the flooring, tons of water.
I've had a few places look into it, no one can solve the leak.
can I just drill relief holes in the floor?
if so, how do I keep the holes from rusting, just paint?

Attachments

• IMG_20220913_093449_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220913_093449_HDR.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220913_093501_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220913_093501_HDR.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 12

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
got around to pulling off the passenger kick panel, lots of water in the groove.
pulled up the flooring, tons of water.
I've had a few places look into it, no one can solve the leak.
can I just drill relief holes in the floor?
if so, how do I keep the holes from rusting, just paint?
I wouldn't drill holes in the floor, you need to find the leak.

I had a leak on an old car that was similar to this. Only happened when it rained just right, never leaked when I washed it or while driving in torrential rain. I had to get someone to lightly spray the car from all angles with a sprayer that mimicked rain while I was head first under the dash with a flashlight. After a half hour or so of that I finally saw water drip down the fire wall. It was a spot weld on the wiper motor bracket that would only leak when the water ran down the drain channel on the fire wall just right.

Anyways my point here is that dousing it with a garden hose doesn't always show leaks because I did that with that car and inside was dry. Have someone mimic rain from all different angles. The key is they have to hold it there long enough for the leak to present itself. Its a lot of trial and error but I've found several leaks on several different cars with this method.

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
pulled up the flooring, think i found the leak,
the back of the cab has vents, one behind the driver and one behind the passenger. I guess to relieve stale air in the cabin. water was able to get from there down to the footwell.
the one behind the passenger seat had come off and was resting on the lip between the cab and the bed. replaced the vent and gasket , no leaks upon testing, will report back after next rainstorm

Attachments

• IMG_20220920_163608_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220920_163608_HDR.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 10

chiefhuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2019 RAM 3500 crew cab. Water passenger floor.

Pop the windshield cowl. Found drain hole flogged. Cleaned. Problem solved.

Somehow water backed up into A/C intake and drained into duct system and into floor. Also had less drain into back floor through duct system.