Water Leak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16RamTyler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My area has had constant rain overnight and projected all day today. Open my driver door this morning to find water puddled on my front driver floormat. Tracked the water to the top of the A-pillar. Headliner is soaked about an inch up from the A-pillar trim. Anyone else have this issue?

2016 1500 Big Horn crew cab equipped with sunroof

GMcD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your fin antenna in the front of the roof? I have seen some complain of this leaking.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
16RamTyler said:
My area has had constant rain overnight and projected all day today. Open my driver door this morning to find water puddled on my front driver floormat. Tracked the water to the top of the A-pillar. Headliner is soaked about an inch up from the A-pillar trim. Anyone else have this issue?

2016 1500 Big Horn crew cab equipped with sunroof

My 2018 Big Horn has leaked a small amount of water from the overhead console into the forward compartment of the floor console. It has done this two times, both times were periods of unusually high rainfall amounts. So, similar to your experience.

Hasn't done it since, so like a goober I don't bother with taking it in.

The shark fin satellite antenna and the high mounted third brake light are the usual suspects for leaks of this nature.

But since you have a sunroof, I would suspect the drain tube that is supposed to channel water away from the sunroof. Does that run down the A-pillar? If so, perhaps the drain tube is clogged and water is backing out where it attaches to the sill around the sunroof, then finding its way into the interior.

Now, I do get leaves every autumn in my glovebox which is extremely odd, IMO...

OP
OP
16RamTyler

16RamTyler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 Big Horn has leaked a small amount of water from the overhead console into the forward compartment of the floor console. It has done this two times, both times were periods of unusually high rainfall amounts. So, similar to your experience.

Hasn't done it since, so like a goober I don't bother with taking it in.

The shark fin satellite antenna and the high mounted third brake light are the usual suspects for leaks of this nature.

But since you have a sunroof, I would suspect the drain tube that is supposed to channel water away from the sunroof. Does that run down the A-pillar? If so, perhaps the drain tube is clogged and water is backing out where it attaches to the sill around the sunroof, then finding its way into the interior.

Now, I do get leaves every autumn in my glovebox which is extremely odd, IMO...

I've had the fin antenna replaced once previously. Water was running down the inside of my windshield on that particular leak. Probably safe to assume this leak is the same suspect.

I haven't checked for any drain tubes from the sunroof.

I've seen water run down the inside of my sliding rear window after taking my truck through a full service car wash. Attributed that particular leak to the high pressure jets.

Contacted my local RAM dealer and they stated they are currently looking at two other vehicles for water leaks. Seems like RAM should go with better quality water seals.

OP
OP
16RamTyler

16RamTyler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your fin antenna in the front of the roof? I have seen some complain of this leaking.

Yes and I have had that antenna replaced once already. Hopefully us RAM owners aren't looking at a lifetime of replacing satellite antennas...

KiloHotel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
check under your back seat, if its soaking wet too - its likely the 3rd brake light

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The sunroof drain tubes run down inside both A pillars and can clog easily. Run about 4 ft of .080" trimmer line down the tubes to clean them. Compressed air will work too.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look near the front door hinges for the ends of the drain tubes. When you find them give them a little pinch and water should come out. I had that problem on my '07. I even snipped the very top off. There is an orifice there that stops up. There are also two on the back of the can not far from the corners and about a foot or a little more up from the bottom.

2018HarvestRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
I noticed moisture in my storage tray under the drivers side rear seat! Is that an area that others are seeing moisture issues in this thread too? My shark fin antenna would be above that general area.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I traded away my 2010 because of a water leak I couldn't fix. Had a sunroof but the leak was the right rear headliner.
Sealed the pod, rear window, roof strips, new 3rd light, everything back there.

Dealer said roof was warped, needed a whole new sunroof and internal bracing.
Quoted me $3300.
Traded the truck a week later on a sunny day for a 2013 Charger R/T.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed moisture in my storage tray under the drivers side rear seat! Is that an area that others are seeing moisture issues in this thread too? My shark fin antenna would be above that general area.
That's where I saw moisture when the cab vents leaked.