Water Pump Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Resqguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Guys,

I have a 98 Ram 1500 with a 5.9 and ~180K miles. I have only owned the truck for a little over a year. It looks well cared for but I don't have receipts. It seems to run fine. Starts easy and runs smooth. I know it won't have the power of an SRT Challenger but it doesn't overwhelm me with torque or power.

There is coolant leaking from around the water pump shaft. The truck ran fine at normal temp before the leak.

Time for a new water pump. My question is about putting together my shopping list. What all is required to replace and what else should I replace while I'm in there? I will check out the rad, but it would likely be repaired locally anyway. I'll probably order parts online.

Thanks, and is there anything else that I should look at while in there?

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a gates water pump, bypass hose (should be metal with a bracket), and might as well fo the timing chain (only a few more bolts) with a cloyes double roller, and finally a 180° thermostat. :)

Reactions: Mop

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^^^Yep. lets see if we can save you some grief. You can find plenty of cheap aftermarket water pumps. i.e. Airtech. I get mine from Partsgeek.com I can choose cheap replacement, good replacement or OEM quality replacement. Gates is an excellent aftermarket pump at this time. "I" would also replace my thermostat, upper and lower radiator hose, heater hoses and serpentine,,,unless they were replaced recently. And of course the correct coolant. Fitz

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
R

Resqguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks,

So far the biggest single expense is the purchase/rent of the tool to remove the fan clutch from the pump. Spending and extra $10 on a quality pump seems like a no-brainer. What do you think of the Delco brand?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Thanks,

So far the biggest single expense is the purchase/rent of the tool to remove the fan clutch from the pump. Spending and extra $10 on a quality pump seems like a no-brainer. What do you think of the Delco brand?
Sorry but I do not know anything about the Delco brand. Who is selling their brand?

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I have no problems with Delco brand parts. Used them in a few vehicles with no problems. Definitely do what they said above. If you're going to do the timing chain, you will also need a puller for the crank pulley. I vaguely remember people saying don't us a 3 jaw puller because it can warp the pulley. I think there is another style puller that uses a series of screws that is the recommended tool. Also, remember to get a new timing cover gasket.