Water spitting out of EGR valve.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone. Hope ur having a better week than I'm having. Here's my story, I took my 1995 dodge ram (318cu-5.2Lt) through emissions the other day. I passed 2 of the 3 test. I passed hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide. I failed the NOx- (Oxides of Nitrogen.) I'm at 344 and need to be under 3.00 I started with my EGR valve, took it off and spent an hour cleaning it. I reinstalled it and it's spurting water out. This pass summer I simi rebuild the engine- new heater core, all new heater hoses, new timing chain and gears, new timing cover, new water pump, new radiator and both new upper and lower radiator hoses. New thermostat and water inlet housing, new oil pump and oil pan gasket. Changed old vacuum hoses.
The truck runs great for 227,000 miles. No smoke, no idle issues at all.
I haven't yet pulled my spark plugs yet. I gave the truck a complete tune up 3 yrs ago- New plugs, wires, cap and rotor. YouTube says is might be my intercooler for the EGR valve. Yes, sometime I have a little clear water come out the tail pipe but I always thought that was cheap gas. Could anyone please steer me in the right direction as to what the problem could be? I never in all my 38 yrs working on cars and truck have I seen an EGR spit water out. Any and all advice is very appreciated.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Interesting. 1st thing that comes to mind is condensation from the exhaust. All vehicles will emit small amounts of condensation out of the exhaust when warming up and the first few miles of driving. This condensation could be finding its way out of the EGR just by the mere fact that it is connected to the exhaust and recirculated the exhaust gases through the engine for emission purposes.

After cleaning, have the vehicle tested again. If the NOx fails again, might be time for a new EGR.

FYI - this is an educated guess. I'm not a trained mechanic. I'm just a guy who's been working on his own vehicles for a long time. :)

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Water is one of the by-products of an internal combustion engine. You start the engine: one of the things it's producing is water. It's part of the puzzle when you start finding more water than you ought to have somewhere. The little bit of water you see at the tailpipe is that same water from combustion that condenses on the cold metal of the exhaust system. Once the pipes are warm, you don't see any condensation because the vapor passes out the tailpipe.