Water under the rear seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone else have a problem with the storage area under the rear seats getting wet? I noticed this a few months ago, I thought the floor pan Plugs were letting water in when the roads were wet. Took it to the dealer and they said the 3rd brake light was known to leak, (strange, bone dry from there all the way down to the bottom of the storage Compartment).

Anyway they said they resealed it and I wouldn't have anymore problems.

Guess What? Its still getting wet. Im going back Monday and make them fix it right. Why would you not check the floor pan plugs (directly underneath where the water is) if there was water in the floor pan?

Truth is I could probably seal them myself, and I will if they fail to fix it this time, but its principle, Sorry for the rant.
Ike:flame:

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was just in one of the automatic car washes the other day and my son was with me and was sitting in the back seat. When the water jets were spraying over the back of the roof, the back window top corner on the drivers side had a stream of water coming in. I've made an appointment to get it looked at.

By my iPhone.

Asur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
The water is coming in via the 3rd brake light. go to homedepot and pic up the lifetime ribbed latex window seal

TAGO | Ribbed Sponge Rubber Tape | Home Depot Canada

pull off the 2 screws for the 3rd brake like, remove the old weather strip, run this rubber tap on both the light and the cab and mat the 3rd brake light to the cab, you will have solved your problem, you can also seal it with silicon but will make it hard to remove if you need to change a bulb.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The water is coming in via the 3rd brake light. go to homedepot and pic up the lifetime ribbed latex window seal

TAGO | Ribbed Sponge Rubber Tape | Home Depot Canada

pull off the 2 screws for the 3rd brake like, remove the old weather strip, run this rubber tap on both the light and the cab and mat the 3rd brake light to the cab, you will have solved your problem, you can also seal it with silicon but will make it hard to remove if you need to change a bulb.

Dealer said they sealed it, says that on my Reciept, I guess Ill take your advice. But Im still sealing up those floor pan plugs

SafetyMan43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Really hard for water to run UP... just sayin'

Yes, damp could come from the plug, but if it is leaking bad enough where the carpet is wet, would it not stand to reason that whatever water came up, could drain down?

Just a thought...

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Really hard for water to run UP... just sayin'

Yes, damp could come from the plug, but if it is leaking bad enough where the carpet is wet, would it not stand to reason that whatever water came up, could drain down?

Just a thought...

I think its splashing up and getting past the plugs, its not standing water its just wet, damp.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As many times as I've heard of this problem, I'm surprised that hasn't been a recall for it. It cannot be good to have all this moisture running inside the body. Who knows where else its puddled somewhere inside the body.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They replaced the 3rd brake light assembly.. I Said "see ya in a week or 2"

Bet it wont fix the problem.
Ike:argue:

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Being they re-sealed that already, you might have a window leaking. How much water are we talking about? If you're getting puddling, I doubt it's coming from the bottom.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not Puddling, just enough to wet the liner at the fwd end of the lower seat wells of the back seat

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a pretty good amount of water under my rear seat once. I replaced the 3rd brake light with a Recon LED light and so far so good. It's only been a few weeks.

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They replaced the 3rd brake light assembly.. I Said "see ya in a week or 2"

Bet it wont fix the problem.
Ike:argue:

im guessing it will...its been a common lingering problem since my 96 ram....

Asur's right on with his post too if you don't visit the dealer.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, Im hoping it does, but it dont make sense that the headliner on the back of the cab nor the wall behind the rear seat or any other part of the storage comp is damp. I will know for sure this afternoon when I check it, lots of melting snow and wet roads on the way to work this morning.

Ike

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think it runs down a channel inside the body and doesn't quite get to the headliner in most cases. Be interested to see if this fixes it for you though. Keep us updated. :)

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it runs down a channel inside the body and doesn't quite get to the headliner in most cases. Be interested to see if this fixes it for you though. Keep us updated. :)

When I had my leak, it soaked the headliner as well.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Check bottom of center window-- like above try pressurized water to see if it is trickling in through the track.

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, Im hoping it does, but it dont make sense that the headliner on the back of the cab nor the wall behind the rear seat or any other part of the storage comp is damp. I will know for sure this afternoon when I check it, lots of melting snow and wet roads on the way to work this morning.

Ike

the 3rd brake light seal leak in my 96 crew cab didn't get anything wet except the passenger floor pan. the carpet was soaked for 6 years every time it rained. i was convinced it was the rear window, the windshield, the drain plugs under the cowl....i tried everything. then i came across a thread with a 4th gen leak...thought what the hell ill try the third brake seal too...voila. six years of leaking fixed in 5 minutes with the proper know how.

water anywhere (take your roof on your house for example) will find its way in, run down the path of least resistance, and pool or puddle in a low spot. in your case, your catching water in the floor storage.

i haven't seen your truck, but the brake seal is responsible for almost every leak i read about.

my 2010 leak got the headliner however...dealer replaced the entire light assembly.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check bottom of center window-- like above try pressurized water to see if it is trickling in through the track.

Will be going through the touch less carwash today to get all the road salt and sand off. it has undercarriage wash also, so I should know when I get back home if its fixed.
:Caffeine:

Asur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Will be going through the touch less carwash today to get all the road salt and sand off. it has undercarriage wash also, so I should know when I get back home if its fixed.
:Caffeine:

Keep us in the loop, let us know if you fixed it.