Wax versus Sealant Battle Royal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So I was a detailer back in the day, could kind of care less these days, I hardly wash my truck. But I thought I'd have some fun with it. I laughed when I recently seen a sealant test of ten products, and I had heard of none of them, seriously not one. So clearly, times have changed, but back in my day these two products were everyone's go to products for durability. So that is what I am testing, and I'll toss in a review maybe at the end. Now, I had only used double coat once before and gave up on it, but because of Pullya's suggestion I gave it another go. Prior Collonite white wax marque had been my go to wax for a decade. I'm running a separate test on the roof between all three Collinite's waxes-845, marque-double coat. It was that test that made me decide on DC for this test. As for the sealant, the best I know from my day z5pro, I choose not to use zfx this time or anything under each product.

Process, dawn wash until there was no sign of old sealant on the hood, tape down the middle. Apply double coat and z5pro by hand and remove by hand. Tomorrow, I will go back and repeat. That is it, that is all, I generally don't wash this truck, I will report anything if I see the hood stop beading, on one side or both whatever. It also sits outside.

Some pics...

wash.

32794018088_4e7a863438_c.jpg

Products

31727167137_49a10064dc_c.jpg

Collinite Finish

31727198007_12e38bb80e_c.jpg

Z5Pro Finish

39703826823_5cd432ea70_c.jpg

Beading After, yes I just did toss water on my wax test.

45944034884_4ab5211ffc_c.jpg

So thoughts, my camera's focus couldn't read the bottle on the wax side unless I laid the bottle right next to the hood, but it could read the zaino side a couple feet above the hood. That is what you call a mirror shine. Usually when you have a mirror shine you pay for it with a lack of wet look, but that is the one feature about z5pro that is different as it looks just as wet. Usually the muted effect of wax gives a wet look, and I can say from a looks standpoint I much prefer collonite marque to this double coat. But, this is really secondary to my main concern which is durability, we will likely not know the answer to this for months. I scrapped my other test, except I am also testing the 3 Collonites to see how they do against each other.

45739222685_095bcfa8c3_c.jpg

applied all 3 with space inbetween, there is a all in one paint cleaner as a base. Then it rained next day, you can see the large drops in the middle, and the reason I decided to go with double coat was because of info Pullya gave me and the Collonite website and these results, the last pic you can see how tiny the beads where in comparison to anything else double coat was the small beads, again you can see how big the beads are inbetween the waxes. So that's it, we are testing the three Collonites against each other, what I believe their most durable wax is against Zaino z5pro.

Time will tell, can a wax beat a sealant??

39689434033_ed19484462_c.jpg

845 versus marque note large beads in middle

45941682174_b1b1ef9175_b.jpg

Marque versus Double Coat, Note the larger beads in the middle.

45751400145_ff5d1253f3_c.jpg

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t really think wax is going to beat a sealant. Unless you’re just talking about shine. Which in that case of course a wax will be better. Rule of thumb, wax is for show and sealant is for protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Review Of Collonite, I like all 3 of them, they all have their place. I don't use their paint cleaners and all-in-one because those types of products usually carry oils and fillers that effect durability, but their three waxes all are great products.

845- Easy to use, smell of solvent, great slick finish, noticeable better then either of his brothers as far as slickness. Great east to use liquid wax that people report good durability.

Ease of use-10
Slick Finish-10
Look- 7-8
Durable-?

Collinite’s Marque D’Elegance- My go to wax when I was detailing, easy to use beautiful wet look and very durable. Most carnuba in it and a white wax that is very pure and a great wet look, the best look of all of these waxes, easy to use.

Ease of use-8
Slick Finish-8
Look- 9
Durable- 60 days plus easy

Collonite Double Coat- Well, PITA that doesn't leave much of a look. Yes it is a half decent wet look, but not like Marque. Beads the best, I'm hoping that will lead to durable test subject.

Ease of use- 4
Slick Finish-7
Look- 5
Durable- I have a feeling this is where this product shines.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don’t really think wax is going to beat a sealant. Unless you’re just talking about shine. Which in that case of course a wax will be better. Rule of thumb, wax is for show and sealant is for protection

Take another look at both redline bottles reflection, not really close the sealant is much better in this case.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So now review Zaino

46616745412_c0c5591645_c.jpg

Not picture Zaio

Best products Zaino has in order

ZAIO- Great Product, paint cleaner and great base for every detail
Z5Pro-Best Sealant I've tried, and that is saying something. Looks like a wax, lasts like a sealant. Looks 9, durability for this type of product 9-10, ease of use 7.
Z2Pro- Almost just as good
ZFX- makes multiple coats and more durable
Tire Shine- Goes on dry not oily
Z6- Great detailing spray, doesn't leave wax or oil, clay lube
Z8- Could take or leave it, does renew zaino topper,not economical
z9 and z10 are the best coated leather cleaner and conditioner on the market. Smells just like new perfect leather z10.

Don't care for..

Clear Seal- good for windows, poor durability as a sealant
Plastic Cleaner- prefer klasse vlr
Glass Cleaner-makes a better mag cleaner, then glass.
Their wash z7 is great, but I prefer ONR

One of the best things about zaino that shouldn't matter but does, OMG they smell so good, lol.

Z5 grape, z2 cherry, z8 melon, z16 tire shine bubble gum, z6 different grape, the smells are seriously addicting. Don't drink them, you will want too.

A bottle of z5pro is 17 dollars, best detailing bargain out there, a can of double sized Collonite Double Coat is 25 dollars on amazon, likely the best protectant available anywhere.

I don't know which product will be more durable, but I know wax is a thicker coats, better for under trees and stuff.

Now, Zaino does a great job as that as well, but I call tell this double coat is something. If I was going on vacation and I had to pick one, I'd probably wax with double coat. If I could only pick one to have and use in general, easy z5pro. I think @Pull Ya like wolgang 3.0. I trust him that they improved their formula. But it was like 40 bucks, that is why I'm saying Zaino is a great value and durability to match.

Last edited:

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take another look at both redline bottles reflection, not really close the sealant is much better in this case.

Yes in this instance. As a generalization though not so much. There are some insane waxes out there that add great depth. I don’t look at a sealant though and try to find the product with the best shine. I’ll seal the truck once every 4 to 6 months and then add a coat of wax when I go to a show. 79316782166188480a32b4cab981b3ae.jpg
40aa74acc24cc61eeef8745d75bfb4bb.jpg
in this photo car is sealed and truck is sealed and topped with wax.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I gravitate toward igl and gtechniq products with some Adams now and then.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just invite anyone to make any comment about whatever wax they wish, I'm not really invested, thanks for participating. As I've said, I was a detailer for years then and owned a business for 4 years, but that was well over a decade ago, and I'm sure things have changed. One thing that hasn't changed about these two products, are their quality and their economy. Some of the sealants out there, people must be out of their mind to pay that ****. You have a clear coat, your sealant wont stop a rock chip, I can't see spending more then I spend personally, but too each his own. These two lineups are my favorite, feel free to test your own favorites as well. I'm sure I could learn a ton since I left that world if I felt like visiting those detailing sites.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just invite anyone to make any comment about whatever wax they wish, I'm not really invested, thanks for participating. As I've said, I was a detailer for years then and owned a business for 4 years, but that was well over a decade ago, and I'm sure things have changed. One thing that hasn't changed about these two products, are their quality and their economy. Some of the sealants out there, people must be out of their mind to pay that ****. You have a clear coat, your sealant wont stop a rock chip, I can't see spending more then I spend personally, but too each his own. These two lineups are my favorite, feel free to test your own favorites as well.

I’ll spend more for a good sealant than I would for a good wax is all I can really say. I’ve never used any of those products so I can’t really say much in comparison to them to say they are weak to the products of today, but I’m definitely a firm believer in sealant. Your clear is your only line of defense to the elements. And paint just isn’t what it was even a decade ago. In never hurts to add even more protection. Especially from salt and UV. For wax a simple buttery wax from Adams that only lasts a few washes is plenty for me.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How do you know they are weak in comparison if you never tested them side by side?

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you know they are weak in comparison if you never tested them side by side?

That’s my point. I can’t say that since I’ve never used those products. But from my knowledge and experience with several other products out there you’re mostly going to get the most depth and less longevity out of a wax and less depth and most longevity out of a good sealant, but a very deep shine when you put a wax on top of your sealant. My process is and acid wash to strip and loosen iron deposits. Then clay (a non abrasive polish if needed) and seal with a 6 month sealant then top with wax for that extra pop. But my process and product combination is in no way the best out there nor is it better then the next guys. There are so many good products and methods out there it just comes down to personal preference really.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One month in no real reason to take pics, as expected everything is holding up well. It has been the mildest weather ever for waxing, 60's everyday no frost in mornings, some rain. It does look like the 845 is not holding up quite as good with beading, but it still is very smooth to touch and still holding up. The double coat maybe beading the best. Update next march 1, when I see something fail I get a pic.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a little surprised about the 845. Time will tell though.
Jay

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Get Adams paint sealant with some microfiber applicator pads. It’s the easiest sealant to apply that I have found. Wait a week and top it with P&S Bead Maker. Both products are inexpensive and Simple to apply. My maintenance washes have become so quick and easy since I started using Adams products

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No reason to see double coat and zaino on hood, both still beading well. But as you see, the 845 is in a state of fail at 2 months, both collinite paste waxes still going strong. I might just call the test over next month, anything that beads good for 3 mos is a winner imo. First pic 845 beads and second pic other collinites on roof...

The 845 was very easy to use, I am a little suprised it failed this quick in winter, but no denying it. Summer and sun is a whole nother thing, but the collinite paste waxes and zaino are still very good.

40307631653_51aabf50d6_c.jpg

40307631033_087e7e612b_c.jpg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm really surprised by the performance of the 845. I guess I've never left it on for a longer period of time without topping it with something or another. I use the Opti spray wax almost every time I wash the truck and then for special occasions I even top that with the Polish Angel. As you said it's so much easier to work with. I had a really bad experience with the Collinite paste(user error of course)so I started using the 845 and have been satisfied with the performance ever since, but like I said it seems to be topped with something else all the time.
Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
845 is a joy to use, a great product if you will do monthly details. But the reason why is it easy to use, they put oils in there, which make it spread easy but not as durable as the waxes.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ it's a joy to use except for the horrible smell. Can't they make it smell like coconut, bananas, or something pleasant? :)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have your GF or/wife lather up in some good smelling stink water then have them come out to the garage to help you-----LOL
Jay

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I will be slappin' some Meguiars ultimate paste wax next wash ... my wheels got ultimate polish and the ultimate paste wax yesterday and they look nice !

I also used Meguiars medium cut cleaner on my front drivers side because it had a huge X that looks to me like someone either keyed it or scratched it with something .. so I had to cut it a bit, polish it and then waxed it .. here are the rims now ...

20190310_154018[1].jpg 20190310_154024[1].jpg 20190310_154245[1].jpg 20190310_154233[1].jpg

I will be doing the entire truck probably this weekend with the polish and the wax and I will post some pictures ...