Waxing Granite Crystal Metallic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Question for all you detailing pros out there. When I bought my Granite Crystal Metallic 1500 back in December, I was told by the sales person that you shouldn't wax this particular color. I have found NOTHING online to back up this claim and my BS meter says he's full of it. Anyone else heard this before?

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not even close to an expert, but last fall I took time to wash, clay mitt, and polish my granite crystal metallic 2500. It is a 2019, had very few if any scratches or swirl marks that I could see. After that I used Adam's graphene ceramic coating and it looks great. Beads and sheets water like crazy. A coating is the same thing as a wax in the fact that it is there to help bead and sheet water quickly, therefore making it an easier process to clean your paint. I assume your dealer said that thinking that if not prepped correctly and done correctly that you can cause swirl marks which will be easier to see on the darker color. If done correctly, it will look amazing!!!

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Question for all you detailing pros out there. When I bought my Granite Crystal Metallic 1500 back in December, I was told by the sales person that you shouldn't wax this particular color. I have found NOTHING online to back up this claim and my BS meter says he's full of it. Anyone else heard this before?
Not sure where your dealer came up with this. The clearcoat is the same regardless of the basecoat/colorcoat. It is prudent to wait 3 months or more after the build date (inside drivers door) before doing so.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
My former 2500 in this color usually got ran through touchless car wash bays, and was never waxed (it was my farm truck). When I sold it, I gave it a good hand wash followed by detail spray - it looked really good for a six year-old truck!

00_exterior-ls-jpeg.jpg

es

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats a load of BS. You can wax it. We had a brand new M3 BMW come in from the local BMW dealership last Friday with 8 miles on it. Washed it, polished it with essence, and ceramic coated it with finest reserve. Sent it out Monday evening.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Lol the dealership where I got my Delmonico Red Ram 1500 said the same thing, asked them why their answer was "it is a 3 stage paint" ...**** !!! they really think people are that stupid and are going to believe this bs ... they recommended that I bring the truck into their "PROs" to wax the truck if I ever needed it ... when I told them "that is bs, I actually do paint correction, detailing and wax vehicles all the time" the guy said "oh, well that is what we were told by corporate" ....

Yes these pearl coats are 3 stage paint jobs but that doesn't change anything when waxing or coating them with anything to protect the paint ......

@JoshsRam who ever told you that is a fawken idiot don't even believe that bs ....

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Delmonico Red nor Granite Crystal is a tri-coat paint. They are conventional base/clear layering systems with the mica/pearl in the base/color coat. The only tri-coat is Ivory White. You can verify this on the Ram build & price pages. That is why Ivory White is a $500 option.

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol the dealership where I got my Delmonico Red Ram 1500 said the same thing, asked them why their answer was "it is a 3 stage paint" ...**** !!! they really think people are that stupid and are going to believe this bs ... they recommended that I bring the truck into their "PROs" to wax the truck if I ever needed it ... when I told them "that is bs, I actually do paint correction, detailing and wax vehicles all the time" the guy said "oh, well that is what we were told by corporate" ....

Yes these pearl coats are 3 stage paint jobs but that doesn't change anything when waxing or coating them with anything to protect the paint ......

@JoshsRam who ever told you that is a fawken idiot don't even believe that bs ....
Now I have heard it all lol. How stupid.

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
Just another dealer trying to capitalize on their ridiculous over priced services. That color has been around forever on multiple Mopar vehicles. When I bought my HD in 2018 they tried telling me the warranty would be void if anyone but the dealership performed the oil changes. I laughed at the guy and took my keys and left.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Delmonico Red nor Granite Crystal is a tri-coat paint. They are conventional base/clear layering systems with the mica/pearl in the base/color coat. The only tri-coat is Ivory White. You can verify this on the Ram build & price pages. That is why Ivory White is a $500 option.
Lol you just love to disagree with me but that is all good ...

I contacted 4 different body shops about paint matching my bumpers, grille and fender flares before I decided to spray them with raptor bedliner myself, all 4 of the shops explained that delmonico red "IS" a 3 stage" paint ... So I am going to believe them before I believe you ..... try again lol ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Hmmmm...interesting ... was just told to look it up and a web search would prove that "IT IS" a tri-coat

@quickster2 next time you want to challenge me know your facts, this is the 2nd time I have proved you wrong ....

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Velvet Red is not Delmonico Red. Delmonico Red is the same as Octane Red for Dodge. Velvet Red is a tri-coat. You keep mixing apples and oranges and spreading misinformation. I was hoping to not have to say this. I spent 35+ years in Automotive the greater majority of which was spent in Paint. I worked in Paint Operations and for many years I was the Sr. Mgr. responsible for Paint Process and Launch for all of the Plants. I also built Paint Shops, ran Paint shops, built plants, and ran Plants as a Plant Manager. I also reached out this AM to verify my comments to the Sr. Mgr. responsible these days. He verified my comments. Unlike yourself, I'm not about flaming or trying to shout above folks. I speak to the facts. If I'm wrong, I will clearly stand corrected. In this case there is no debate. Have a nice day.
BS! PRP, PRV are the same paint but coded differently for chrysler and ram ... so try again .. you are the one spreading misinformation ... there is a reason why there is so much variation in rams that are painted delmonico read because not all the plants spray the color correctly .....

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
"there is a reason why there is so much variation in rams that are painted delmonico read because not all the plants spray the color correctly"
The plants do spray the color correctly but do have inherently different layering systems mainly due to environmental and plant footprint. I'm assuming you've spent weeks and months in these Paint Shops? I don't recall seeing you BTW. I have for every vehicle/model launch since 1997 until EOY 2016, and less after. As others have PM'd me: "I've learned to ignore Cheechdogg". I'm going to do the same. Again, have a nice day.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
The plants do spray the color correctly but do have inherently different layering systems mainly due to environmental and plant footprint. I'm assuming you've spent weeks and months in these Paint Shops? I don't recall seeing you BTW. I have for every vehicle/model launch since 1997 until EOY 2016, and less after. As others have PM'd me: "I've learned to ignore Cheechdogg". I'm going to do the same. Again, have a nice day.

Everyone online nowadays is a "PRO" ... if you knew what you were talking about you would know tha PRV has changed in actual name and color since it was available on vehicles for chrysler, jeep, ram

Here you go , more proof that you are full of BS mr professional painter ....

And im supposed to be bothered because others ignore me ?lol ... that is what the ignore feature is for if it's still here lol .... move along my boy ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Velvet Red and Delmonico Red share the same paint code of (PRV or NRV) but depends on who sprays it and for what vehicle it will look different ... delmonico red on a ram is the 3 stage on chrysler it was also called NRV depending on whether it was 3 stage or not ...

So have a nice day lol ....

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 12-01-34 2016 Chrysler Color Codes - Red Paint Cross-Reference.png

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Hmm ... lol

So velvet red, delmonico red, dark garnet red, octane red , passion red, red pearl and Snazzberry are all you guessed it (PRV) and (NRV) which is delmonico red and velvet red which you say are not the same ....hmmm ...lol ..

I was told to give this link so that you could see how wrong you are @quickster2 lol ... gottah love these online "professionals" lol ...

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
All vehicles should get a wax or sealant. The only exception would be if there is a ceramic coating or ppf installed over the paint. In which case other “wax like” sacrificial layer should be applied to block harmful UV rays.

Not A Cop

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm ... lol

So velvet red, delmonico red, dark garnet red, octane red , passion red, red pearl and Snazzberry are all you guessed it (PRV) and (NRV) which is delmonico red and velvet red which you say are not the same ....hmmm ...lol ..

I was told to give this link so that you could see how wrong you are @quickster2 lol ... gottah love these online "professionals" lol ...

Gett'em Cheech! This was entertaining haha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Gett'em Cheech! This was entertaining haha
I am providing factual proof yet this "Pro" who has supposedly spent weeks and months in the shops and in the plants doesn't understand that the names change according to the make of the vehicle even though they were still under chrysler ...

A lot of people trip out on my Ram's delmonico red, they see it at night and they notice the hues that other delmonico red rams don't have ... my truck will look purple under certain light especially at night lol ..

I had a paint shop mix up some paint for me but it was only the "conventional" base coat, took it to the guy who was going to paint my bumpers and he said I needed a tri coat which was not included ... he said he could spray the last layer with what he had but couldn't guarantee it would match my rams color so I took the paint back ...

On this delmonico if you cut too much during a paint correction you can actually see the differences if you don't do it it evenly on every panel which is probably why they "confuse" waxing with paint correction ... a heavy cut will end up removing that last layer of "clear coat" and ends up getting into the "mid coat" which is a different shade of the basecoat and you end up with uneven spots ...

Anyways, he says velvet red is not delmonico red but it actually is the same paint code just different name depending on the years it was sprayed and on the vehicle make ...

But hey what do I know right? I didn't spend weeks and months in these shops and plants LMAO !!

:fca5278e: