Ways to fix bad rear wheel well rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruce2293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just bought a 04 1500 and when I was removing the fender flares, I found an alarming amount of rust. I know i should have checked them before going ahead and buying but it completely slipped my mind.

Any recommendations on fixes or has anyone dealt with something similar?

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just bought a 04 1500 and when I was removing the fender flares, I found an alarming amount of rust. I know i should have checked them before going ahead and buying but it completely slipped my mind.

Any recommendations on fixes or has anyone dealt with something similar?

View attachment 224827

View attachment 224828
I would do exactly what the 2nd post recommended but I would also weld in new sheet metal with a MIG or a TIG Welder, grind down the welds and put a thin layer of body filler over it to make it look nice. Then shoot it with a rust-preventing primer and then put the flares back on.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The easy way is to convert the rust and get rid of any scaly or flaking rust use a wire wheel or cut it out then you can patch it with some new metal and use aluminum body filler by USC all metal body filler.​

I used it extensively on my 04 WJ and it works great, I used in conjunction with the self adhesive formable stainless steel sheets you can get from any Auto Zone and put it over them, no welding involved. It doesn’t shrink or crack and you can drill and tap it. I have had Zero rust comeback where I used it.
You do have to follow the direction’s as the drying time is very short and ensure you put the lid back on after you remove your required amount as the air starts it’s conversion easily. I found out that by putting a little less hardener it gives you more time to work with it and it’s easier to finish. The first time used it I had to use a grinder to smooth it down as it hardens to a metal (aluminum) surface. Then put the your wheel flares back on.

Last edited: