WDH or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiddenHollow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just picked up a 2016 ram 2500 Tradesman with the Hemi 6.4. Great truck! I have a toy hauler that is 7600 GVWR. Do I need to use the WDH that I used on my ram 1500 or not. I have read a lot answers in the forums and it seems to come out 50/50. I am making a short run this weekend and am going to try running without the WDH. I would appreciate some input. You have a great forum. Very informative.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I use a WD hitch on anything that weighs over about 4,000 lbs. that I'm going to be hauling more than a couple miles. Might not always need it, but it's peace of mind.

For your application though? Yeah, you better use it. You may need a longer drop bar so that everything stays level.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Absolutely use it. It’s only more secure and peace of mind.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I can't imagine someone telling you not too. It would be dangerous not too use it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't imagine someone telling you not too. It would be dangerous not too use it.

I'll be the first then :)

That trailer loaded to the max is going to put around 800# on the tongue of the truck.... or about 25% of the truck's payload. If you consider that "dangerous" you and I are living in different worlds.

Now, let's not confuse WDH with anti-sway. You definitely should have that regardless of the tow vehicle. TTs are just big sails and can get grabbed by the wind and make really bad things happen.

I have a nearly identical truck and had a similar weight TT before my current 5th wheel. I'd usually run with the WDH just because it was part of my setup but often just ran without it and honestly couldn't tell the difference. And yes, it was adjusted just fine. 800# on the hitch of a truck designed for north of 3000# is not even in the ballpark.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'll be the first then :)

That trailer loaded to the max is going to put around 800# on the tongue of the truck.... or about 25% of the truck's payload. If you consider that "dangerous" you and I are living in different worlds.

Now, let's not confuse WDH with anti-sway. You definitely should have that regardless of the tow vehicle. TTs are just big sails and can get grabbed by the wind and make really bad things happen.

I have a nearly identical truck and had a similar weight TT before my current 5th wheel. I'd usually run with the WDH just because it was part of my setup but often just ran without it and honestly couldn't tell the difference. And yes, it was adjusted just fine. 800# on the hitch of a truck designed for north of 3000# is not even in the ballpark.

Toyhaulers have notoriously heavy hitches that only start to make normal hitch numbers when you load the garage down. It’s probably in the 1200-1700lb range unloaded. While that load would ride fine in the bed, levering it behind the truck is no bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
As said, I think he'll be 1k plus loaded tongue weight. Still no issue for a 2500, however I believe the receiver (only no wdh) weight limit is in the 1500-1800 range so OP would have to be careful with that.

I routinely run my 6k tt to and from the local state park which is 7 miles away one way with no issues but I do feel more slop in the hitch and the 2" adapter with no wdh installed.

For me it's nice for local trips not to have to mess with wdh, but for longer highway runs i always use wdh and sway control.

So to answer your question directly, for short trips when you load within your reciever weight carrying load capacity, for short trips you can probably run without wdh, but I wouldn't make a habit of it and longer/highway runs, absolutely use it.

Just my .02

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
WDH, is designed to even the weight on the truck. Placing more weight back on the steer axle. That’s why you should use one, on anything over 5000lbs.

Depending on how his truck is equipped, what he has installed aftermarket, what he puts in the bed, I bet his actual payload numbers are closer to 2000 lbs after he’s loaded up, so you add that hitch weight even at 800#’s he’s too close, only raising front end even more.

Too dangerous for everyone else on the road.

OP: what is the make model of trailer you have?

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Your thinking tongue weight and payload are the same thing. Payload is weight on or forward of the rear axle, tongue weight is any loaded behind the rear axle.
Tongue weight has the added "benefit" of applying to physics. The tongue weight uses the rear axle as a fulcrum and starts lifting lightening the weight on the front axle. A tag along also has leverage to applying side to side load to the front axle.
A fifth wheel or gooseneck puts the pin weight on the rear axle, which applies weight to both axles of the truck.
Two identical weighted trailers, one tag along and the other a fiver will tow drastically different.

Last edited:

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Travel trailer about 7k wet. Estimate tongue weight between 600 - 700 lbs and drove from Lake Superior Michigan to North San Diego county California. Round Trip about 5000 miles. 2500 6.4 4x4 2018 regular cab Tradesman. Carried WDH in 8 foot bed but never used it. Truck totally stock and had NO issues what so ever. Strong winds Oklahoma and up and down continental divide. Truck never knew trailer was back there. That said I did carry WDH in 8 foot bed just "in case." All that said I've towed for over 20 years and must admit the extra connection points of the WDH will give you better peace of mind. Just my 2 cents worth.

naumaa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The purpose of a WDH is to put some weight back on the front wheels. Now I admit, if I'm just moving trailers very close and not fast, I will skip the WDH. But for any distance its just good practice to use a WDH

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
If trailer is over 50% weight of truck then use wdh. Steering and braking performance can be effected by a light front end. I guess there's some debate on the issue....but there really isn't.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I guess there's some debate on the issue....but there really isn't.

You're right...... I actually didn't haul my trailer with zero problems. I must have been dreaming. Starting to feel like a political forum in here. I gave my O P I N I O N. It just happens to be different than yours...... happy day sir.

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
You're right...... I actually didn't haul my trailer with zero problems. I must have been dreaming. Starting to feel like a political forum in here. I gave my O P I N I O N. It just happens to be different than yours...... happy day sir.
Not meant necessarily towards you. You have your experiences and that's what you go by. I get it. I do think when towing it's always best to err on the side of caution. Just because someone does it doesn't necessarily mean everyone should do it. I see some sketchy trailers getting hauled around when we're out traveling....I'm sure those people think they're just fine and tell their buddies they've done it for years with no problems. Don't make it the correct or safe way to do it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your thinking tongue weight and payload are the same thing. Payload is weight on or forward of the rear axle, tongue weight is any loaded behind the rear axle.
Tongue weight has the added "benefit" of applying to physics. The tongue weight uses the rear axle as a fulcrum and starts lifting lightening the weight on the front axle. A tag along also has leverage to applying side to side load to the front axle.
A fifth wheel or gooseneck puts the pin weight on the rear axle, which applies weight to both axles of the truck.
Two identical weighted trailers, one tag along and the other a fiver will tow drastically different.

I'm pretty sure all the physics is kind of "baked into the cake" with payload ratings. Meaning, tongue weight of a trailer at the hitch is the same as in the bed. I agree realistically it's not the same thing as there is a moment arm from the point over the rear axle to the hitch point but that's already accounted for with the ratings. I guess another way of putting it would be that the engineers plan for worst case so all of the payload applied at the hitch (which they do when bragging about max tow rating).

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm pretty sure all the physics is kind of "baked into the cake" with payload ratings. Meaning, tongue weight of a trailer at the hitch is the same as in the bed. I agree realistically it's not the same thing as there is a moment arm from the point over the rear axle to the hitch point but that's already accounted for with the ratings. I guess another way of putting it would be that the engineers plan for worst case so all of the payload applied at the hitch (which they do when bragging about max tow rating).

They do, by giving 2 different max tongue weights(one with WDH and one without).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm pretty sure all the physics is kind of "baked into the cake" with payload ratings. Meaning, tongue weight of a trailer at the hitch is the same as in the bed.
Wrong..
Have you ever played on a teeter totter?
Same concept but the rear axle is the pivot point.
If tongue weight is the same as payload, they why does front axle weight get lighter when using airbags in this video? Yet if you put the same amount of weight in the bed forward of the axle, the front gets heavier?

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I never got to this level of micromanaging payloads for TTs (I just bought a 2500) but if there are different payloads why aren't they stamped on the door sticker? All I ever read about here is everyone talking about their door sticker with a single payload rating.

I get all the teeter totter and fulcrum analogies, I just don't see it broken down this far with the truck ratings. From everything I've read, 800# of concrete in the bed has the same impact as a TT putting 800# on the tongue. Again, I understand in real world it's different. I'm talking ratings and impact on payload.

I get it that I'm in the minority in this discussion but I was just sharing my experience. With or without WDH hooked up there was really no noticeable difference with a roughly 7500# trailer. I found someone calling it "dangerous" totally ridiculous.