Weak A/C flow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loup_Garou

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good afternoon everyone, I am new to the farm today and I'm hoping that you all can help me with an issue.
I have a 2008 1500 Quad cab with an AC issue of weak flow coming through the vents I can tell you it is not the recirculate door it is in place and functionable and I do not believe it to be a resistor because all four speeds work properly. I've also taken my AC blower and put it into my wife's 08 dodge ram and it blows correctly.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Possible evaporator coil clogging up with dirt and bugs, Not sure your year probably doesn't have cabin air filter. As dirty as my wifes accord filter was after 20,000 miles the other day i can't see how we made it so long without them. Oh and welcome! Louisianian.

OP
OP
L

Loup_Garou

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm curious to know whether or not it could be some sort of a baffle or an actuator not working properly and maybe being stuck somewhere between dash and windshield or dash and floor but I've never heard of anyone else having an issue like that

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Take in mind there at least 5 blend doors that make things happen.Also start checking your duct work not seating.You will have to just about take the dash out.

Duck_NovaCain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Possible evaporator coil clogging up with dirt and bugs, Not sure your year probably doesn't have cabin air filter. As dirty as my wifes accord filter was after 20,000 miles the other day i can't see how we made it so long without them. Oh and welcome! Louisianian.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I’ve been wondering, how do you go about cleaning the coil? Do you have to remove the entire dash to get to it? Mine has 180K mi and it freezes up occasionally. Some days it runs for 5 minutes and it freezes completely. Have to constantly turn the AC button on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I’ve been wondering, how do you go about cleaning the coil? Do you have to remove the entire dash to get to it? Mine has 180K mi and it freezes up occasionally. Some days it runs for 5 minutes and it freezes completely. Have to constantly turn the AC button on and off.

They sell something called (kool-it) to try n clean the core via the drain, works for some people. If you want to remove the box to try and clean the core, you would be better off with a new core because the entire hvac box needs to be removed to do so. Jmho.

Last edited:

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

A dirty coil can indeed freeze up, but i would check your high and low pressures, as low freon is a frequent cause of freezing up. Low side 45ish high 250ish on hot day.

Jeffrocco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi Gas
For newer Dodge 2500 trucks

I have a 2012 Ram 2500 and when I dropped the blower motor everything was working and no obstruction in the blower “cage”. I dropped the glove box and noticed a duct leading to the firewall. It was fixed into an open position and didn’t look as if it should be moved. I shined a flashlight into the open duct and saw a fast food napkin blocking the intake area. Pulled it out, put the blower motor back into place and the air blew me to the back seat! This day it was 108 degrees and I drove home for an hour in the truck, nearly died after working outside all day. It only took 15 minutes to fix it. So things in the glove box may end up in the air duct, save yourself a bundle. You need a torx set or the right one. Three screws, easy. Passenger side under the glove box on 2012 Ram 2500 ST 4x4.
I'm having a pretty great week!

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For newer Dodge 2500 trucks

I have a 2012 Ram 2500 and when I dropped the blower motor everything was working and no obstruction in the blower “cage”. I dropped the glove box and noticed a duct leading to the firewall. It was fixed into an open position and didn’t look as if it should be moved. I shined a flashlight into the open duct and saw a fast food napkin blocking the intake area. Pulled it out, put the blower motor back into place and the air blew me to the back seat! This day it was 108 degrees and I drove home for an hour in the truck, nearly died after working outside all day. It only took 15 minutes to fix it. So things in the glove box may end up in the air duct, save yourself a bundle. You need a torx set or the right one. Three screws, easy. Passenger side under the glove box on 2012 Ram 2500 ST 4x4.
I'm having a pretty great week!

This happened to my nieces kia spectra, good catch! Thanks for the info.

Bigdog9598

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 - 4x2 - SLT
Engine
4.7 flex
Duck,
on my 07, there is a sensor that monitors air temp in the cab when AC is on recirculate. if i remember correctly, the sensor monitors the air to prevent the core from freezing up. access to the sensor is through the glove box.
i learned this after removing my dash to do the Blend door upgrade from blend door USA. i broke the wire/plug and it is impossible to fire the plug side to replace. i have mine super glued together and i still have AC so it is working.
if that makes sense.