Website Pricing Up for 5 Days not Honored by Dealer: What Would You Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillGabriel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Two weeks ago, I looked at a 2019 RAM 2500 Mega Cab diesel. It had a $75k MSRP and was marked down to $63k before any qualifying rebates. The dealer was willing to come down to $62k, but no further. Though the truck had been on the lot over 90 days, I wasn’t convinced it was needed, so I didn’t press. Walked away.

Last Friday, the website marked the truck down, per the Employee Pricing for Everyone Event, to $54,380 (see image below) before any qualifying rebates. I contacted my sales rep who said the website hadn’t been updated and I couldn’t get that price. Yet, the price remained from last Friday until last night when I was told by the rep and manager that $60k was the best price I could get. They said I could get the dealer mark-down OR Ram’s Employee Pricing for All, not both. They said the website would be updated to show that.

Well, today, the website was updated. The combined rebates (dealer discount and Employee Pricing for All) are still there with the combined price being $57,700 before the $1,000 discount for persons (like me) trading in other truck brands. So, $56,700 (see attached photo).

The sales rep tells me they still won’t honor that price though this is going on six days it’s been on their site as lower - without any qualifying special association offers being met - than the $60k being given as the best price. Yet, when I emailed the internet sales dept rep, she stated the price on the internet was the price I could buy it for (I saved and screen-shotted her reply).

I’ve asked to talk to the GM / owner for an explanation.What would you do?

546B3E47-1263-4A98-8C22-987423EB789A.jpeg

F033F9BB-AFDA-4E80-8504-EAEB303B19EE.jpeg

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
On the detailed price list it does say select vehicles $8600
The second line.
Idk
How bad do ya want it???
Must be a badass truck

The Blue Mule

OP
OP
WillGabriel

WillGabriel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
On the detailed price list it does say select vehicles $8600
The second line.
Idk
How bad do ya want it???
Must be a badass truck

The Blue Mule
Yes, yet that specific number is below this same vehicle and not others, which have a different amount of discount. For example, see the pic below I just took a screenshot of.

9A89E757-A644-49D2-8589-47E716373B6A.jpeg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fwiw when I was looking for my truck a lot of the dealer websites (wrongly) showed prices that included discounts that couldn't be stacked.

I don't believe for a second it's because of a website gotcha or error... They did it because of the low low display price in an attempt to get you to go to them, or at least give them your contact info.

I'm confused, though... If the internet sales rep said you could get the truck for that price, why not go through the internet sales rep?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
WillGabriel

WillGabriel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Fwiw when I was looking for my truck a lot of the dealer websites (wrongly) showed prices that included discounts that couldn't be stacked.

I don't believe for a second it's because of a website gotcha or error... They did it because of the low low display price in an attempt to get you to go to them, or at least give them your contact info.

I'm confused, though... If the internet sales rep said you could get the truck for that price, why not go through the internet sales rep?

it certainly appears disingenuous, doesn’t it? And I tried to go through the internet sales rep. She refereed me to the other sales rep who would “take care of it.” Yet, when I arrived, he again said I couldn’t get that deal.

Oh, and after I have insisted I will talk to the GM, the rep insisted “but we’ve offered such a good deal at $60k” and “he will tell you we are losing enough money at $60k” but then continued to try and convince me to be okay with $60k. Now, they’ve suddenly found the ability to change the internet pricing again... but it’s still less than $60k. And I’ve taken screen shots of each of the former pages and prices as well as of all my interactions with the sales rep. I’m going to pursue a just resolution as I find this lack of integrity beyond the normal car dealership pains a reasonable person expects.

0B5B5E59-602D-490C-9BFA-38D898B0EDF1.jpeg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm with you on it being disingenuous but I don't think it's a fight you will win. They know what they are doing and have the fine print on the website terms and conditions to cover their a$$.

I would end relationship with that dealer and let them know why you are doing so.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm with you on it being disingenuous but I don't think it's a fight you will win. They know what they are doing and have the fine print on the website terms and conditions to cover their a$$.

I would end relationship with that dealer and let them know why you are doing so.

As you said I’d end the relationship with that dealership and...
I Would also tell others about this dealership so they don’t run into this same dealership and get corn holed with their FALSE ADVERTISING.

The Blue Mule

OP
OP
WillGabriel

WillGabriel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
As you said I’d end the relationship with that dealership and...
I Would also tell others about this dealership so they don’t run into this same dealership and get corn holed with their FALSE ADVERTISING.

The Blue Mule
I agree with you both: Publicity to both warn others and, hopefully, ratchet up pressure to change these practices, is likely the best I can hope for. It’s disappointing as I bought a used vehicle from the same dealership family’s Nissan dealership. They were fully transparent and very fair.

I also like the sales rep in this situation (yes, I know that’s part of the schtick; yet this guy is not a talker and is actually sort of distant; he’s been selling cars there a long time; which also means he should know better). I know one of his former coworkers who looked at the first deal and said, “Wow, that is a great deal. I hope they honor it,” while telling me the sales rep was a solid guy. And I think he does know it’s wrong the way they are advertising these. He’s never tried to tell me I could get that price; he won’t say it’s an “error” either, only that it needs adjusting and updating (guilty conscious?). I’ve already told him this isn’t about me wanting him to get him in trouble. It’s about holding the dealership accountable for grossly deceptive pricing. If nothing else, I can shine a more public light on that.

I’ve begun by contacting RAM Customer Care, telling them everything that happened, and sending them all the pricing screenshots. I’ve asked them what I, a customer ready to switch to RAM and buy a truck worth $55k+, should think of such practices by one of their dealerships? Is it indicative of how a RAM truck will be backed up once purchased when / if problems arise? Is this the public image they want of their brand?

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish you luck in the fight but my experience (not just with RAM dealers) is that it is pretty much a losing battle.

RAM "customer care" will tell you that they dont control individual dealers, etc. The dealer will tell you SorryNotSorry the moose out front shoulda told ya. In the end the only person that "loses" is the customer.....in the sense that they either pay more than they expected, or they walk away from the deal.

OTOH, there are RAM/Dodge/Jeep dealers all over the place. So it shouldn't be hard to find a similar deal on a similar (or same) truck. There are also a few distant dealers that will ship vehicles that get good reviews on these forums. I forget who they are but it might be worth looking into.....say $500 to ship the truck but if you save another 1K or 2K you still end up ahead.

I took the train from CT to VA to purchase my G37 because it was $4K less than the same car at my local Infiniti dealer. Train ticket was $120, so I ended up about 3800.00 ahead....well worth the train ride.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most dealerships use the "bait and switch" shenanigans. They advertise a low price, to get you in their door. Then, change the price when you get there. This has been going on for many years. When buying a vehicle, don't get caught up with "advertised prices". Instead, focus on the "OTD price". Get OTD prices for similar trucks, from your 10 closest dealerships. Then, pit them against each other and start a bidding war. Dealerships hate this, but if they want the sale, they will play along.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly I dont even like the "OTD" pricing.

Ill come at them with this is what I want to pay for the truck. Then if/when they agree to the price (or we come to an agreed price) I ask for the bill of sale (invoice, whatever they call it) itemized from cost of vehicle down to OTD price. Lots of times thats where you get the "well we need to ...."...OK, if you cant give that to me, I cant buy from you.

And out of all the dealers Ive been to, ONLY the domestic brands have pulled the "we need to see you face to face". Every other vehicle (Honda, Acura, Infiniti, Lexus) Ive done a deal over the phone or over email, then go into the dealer to finalize it. On my Honda I did everything over the phone including a credit card deposit, went to the dealer that night to test drive the car, picked the car up the next day.

The domestic brand dealers really need to get off their 1950s hobby horse and realize they are losing more business than they are gaining with their way-too-old-school tactics (4 square, bait and switch pricing, "call us for a price", etc)

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
yeah. earlier this year i looked at a new 2018 2500 6.4Laramie. MSRP was $63k. Internet ad said 'web price' was $48k. I test drove it and came back and the salesman said here it is...$53k. I questioned this and was told that i didn't qualify for most rebates. my wife pulled up the ad on her phone and said it doesn't say anything about rebates, just web price. he said the mobile ad doesn't show the fine print but if you go to their website the fine print shows the details. I told him that was misleading and false advertising. his response was well all dealers do it and if we didn't you would have never walked into our building. i got up and left...lol

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah. earlier this year i looked at a new 2018 2500 6.4Laramie. MSRP was $63k. Internet ad said 'web price' was $48k. I test drove it and came back and the salesman said here it is...$53k. I questioned this and was told that i didn't qualify for most rebates. my wife pulled up the ad on her phone and said it doesn't say anything about rebates, just web price. he said the mobile ad doesn't show the fine print but if you go to their website the fine print shows the details. I told him that was misleading and false advertising. his response was well all dealers do it and if we didn't you would have never walked into our building. i got up and left...lol

Yep.

And you can ask them to break down the rebates, its pretty hilarious. They have discounts for the weirdest things ever (own a funeral home? farm equipment? etc) but to be able to get every single one of them is probably impossible. Like he said, they want you in the door, but nowadays that doesn't help them anymore.

Ill walk in their door knowing more than them about the product their selling, the inventory available around me, the most recent selling prices, etc. They don't WANT us coming in the door like that, so you'd think they would be less ****** about it to actually earn a sale, but NOPE!

OP
OP
WillGabriel

WillGabriel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Honestly I dont even like the "OTD" pricing.

Ill come at them with this is what I want to pay for the truck. Then if/when they agree to the price (or we come to an agreed price) I ask for the bill of sale (invoice, whatever they call it) itemized from cost of vehicle down to OTD price. Lots of times thats where you get the "well we need to ...."...OK, if you cant give that to me, I cant buy from you.

And out of all the dealers Ive been to, ONLY the domestic brands have pulled the "we need to see you face to face". Every other vehicle (Honda, Acura, Infiniti, Lexus) Ive done a deal over the phone or over email, then go into the dealer to finalize it. On my Honda I did everything over the phone including a credit card deposit, went to the dealer that night to test drive the car, picked the car up the next day.

The domestic brand dealers really need to get off their 1950s hobby horse and realize they are losing more business than they are gaining with their way-too-old-school tactics (4 square, bait and switch pricing, "call us for a price", etc)

I agree 100% with this. I’ve been a Toyota loyalist for almost two decades because I’ve never had a Toyota dealer do the bait and switch or the “add-on” dance (plus the unmatched, long term reliability). The negotiated price plus taxes and dealer fee is given, and it stays that way. Are they often more expensive than domestic brands with a few less features? Yes. But it’s less hassle and wading through jargon, old school tactics, and rebate qualifications, and much more straight talk. If I didn’t believe the new RAM was such a solid truck, I’d run back to Toyota.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That too! Its amazing how they think they can beat the hell outta me and expect MORE money to come out of my pockets.

If you dont hassle me with stupid tactics I am much more apt to give in a little here and there. Our Lexus was like that....I "gave in" and paid maybe 200 more than I wanted, simply because there was no bs, I wasnt "called into" the dealer and when I wanted to test drive one they handed me the keys and told me to bring it back whenever I felt like it.

OP
OP
WillGabriel

WillGabriel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
That too! Its amazing how they think they can beat the hell outta me and expect MORE money to come out of my pockets.

If you dont hassle me with stupid tactics I am much more apt to give in a little here and there. Our Lexus was like that....I "gave in" and paid maybe 200 more than I wanted, simply because there was no bs, I wasnt "called into" the dealer and when I wanted to test drive one they handed me the keys and told me to bring it back whenever I felt like it.
Oh yes, few brands come close to the Lexus customer experience - especially when you take the vehicle back in for service! Do you pay more for it? Yes. But peace of mind when you buy and throughout the ownership experience is worth a few “qualifying $500 rebates because you also bought a $700,000 farm implement and are a lifetime dues paying member of Welcome Wagon.”

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to world of dealer sales ****. They can say no to anything that's up on their web site, even if you took then to court. The site did its job got you interested in a new truck did it now. Move on to another dealer this is a snap shot of how honest they will treat you when you buy the truck

quikmofo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I do agree that ALMOST all of the dealerships do the bait and switch with pricing and they base it on rebates mostly. Nobody qualifies for the price that includes all rebates but they advertise that way anyway.
When I bought my 2020 I found that to be the case with about 8 or 9 different dealers that I contacted via the web, until I found one that said they would honor the advertised internet price. It was a 3 hour drive so I had the sales person send me an email stating the price and fees, so I didn’t waste a trip. Went the next day, drove the truck and they honored the price. It was Ganley in Ohio.
When Ram contacted me about my purchasing experience I emphasized how hard it was to get an actual price and that the dealers made the buying experience difficult with all of the deceptive pricing on the web.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I went to no less than six dealers before I got to the seventh dealer that was honest with their pricing. The power of the wallet and shopping will always outweigh the sales gimmicks and games - providing a buyer doesn’t fall in love with a vehicle. Once that occurs, the leverage swings to the dealer and the screwing of the customer begins. Never be afraid to walk and don’t argue over an ad as it will simply waste time.