Website Pricing Up for 5 Days not Honored by Dealer: What Would You Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll tell you I was sick of that "Internet Pricing" and "survey" crap they keep peddling on us. That internet price dont mean ****. You have to talk to several dealers and figure out the least he'll be able to sell you the truck for and go from there. If you think 60K is fair offer him 60. If not, go to another dealer. These clowns aint ****tin anybody. They still have a TON of Rams all over. You just need to find the right truck at the right dealer who wants to sell it the worst. If he shoves pricing papers in your face TEAR EM UP IN FRONT OF HIM, THAT ALWAYS GETS THEIR ATTENTION...lol

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only bad experiences Ive ever had at dealers were domestic brand, including my RAM. The truck I bought was marked at a really good price, of course "sorry thats only if you qualify for ..... rebates", even though there was no fine print to be seen (price tag hanging from truck).

I called around to multiple dealers in multiple states and the same basic truck was 3 or 4K higher. No idea why, but they wouldnt budge, at least not over the phone/email. Couldnt chance a trip in hopes they would drop 3K in person.

I should have walked from the other dealer but eventually I did get them to honor the tagged price without qualifying for the "you are a farmer who owns a funeral home and 18 competing brand vehicles" discounts. Took a lot of back and forth and at one point the sales manager gave me the "Im taking this personal that you dont want to work with us on price". He didnt like my response of "if this is personal, is this how you would treat people that you actually know?".

Like I said, should have walked, but the truck was what I wanted and I didnt feel like I could come close elsewhere.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
this sort of thing varies from dealer to dealer so I would just not stress out and contact another dealer. I bought a '17 gmc sierra online from a local dealer back in '17. I had a carfax quote on my trade and emailed their websales guy a few pics so I got a commitment to an agreeable number online before I agreed to the deal and made an appointment to drive to the dealer not to deal some more but to sign the papers and leave with the truck. I didnt want to make 2 trips. all went well except for the finance guy trying the hard sell on me to buy one of their extended warranty pkgs. I made a better deal with them online than I was able to get from personal visits to 2 other dealers in the same town. I bought the laramie I have now online from a ft. worth dealer after trading a few emails back and forth and agreeing to pretty firm numbers before going over there so I am 2 for 2 so far...maybe just luck of the draw.

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Just walk away. It's not worth your time and aggravation, unless you enjoy that kind of stuff.

When I got my truck ('17 3500 CTD) I went to my local dealership, and they played some really stupid games and lied about the price. He quoted me 40,000 OTD + DMV, then handed me an invoice for 40,900. I walked out the door. He bugged me for a week, and even the sales manager called me. On the last day of the month at 2:00PM, they texted and said I could have it for the quoted price, if I bought it that day. By then I had found a similar truck with better options for $41,500.

Bad dealerships aren't worth working with. All I want is a price and a place to sign the paperwork.
I'm not going to waste their time with lots of test drives and questions, and expect to be treated like an adult.

The local dealership? They don't get to touch my new truck, except for occasional warranty work.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure your state has a Better Business Bureau and an Attorney General's office. Most states have laws against Bait & Switch.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 025248 miles.

Blue Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No Spark Plugs
I'm sure your state has a Better Business Bureau and an Attorney General's office. Most states have laws against Bait & Switch.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 025248 miles.

Glad someone mentioned this. Although, I have my doubts on how much either one is going to care about an individual complaining about a large business.

In my mind, OP is investing way too much effort into spending money at an unethical dealer. Doesn't bode well for how they're going to treat a buyer when it comes time for regular service, let alone a warranty issue or dispute.

OP
OP
WillGabriel

WillGabriel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Well, after some looking around, reporting to RAM and the BBB + a talk with my local RAM dealer (who didn’t have a 2019 Mega Cab Diesel on the lot; but will be servicing my RAM), and with another rep I know well who works for another brand lot under the same dealer with the pricing “issues,” I was able to resolve my concerns with a better offer. The sale price was $57.5k plus tax and a $400 dealer fee. For a 2019 diesel mega cab 2500, MSRP $75,600, I think it’s a good deal. Thanks to everyone here for your advice and encouragement.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same scenario at my local RAM stealership. $3k difference from advertised price to what I was quoted. I already had financing lined up and was ready to go. If you don't meet the price I said, I'll walk.

Consequently I walked. Drove 24 miles to another RAM dealership who honored the deal plus another $1k in additional rebates they found.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
buy t from the internet lady since she said tht is teh price.
contact your states attorney general for false advertising. go in to their office,t ell them you want to buy this advertised product but dealer will not sell.
just having them vcall the dealer will usually take care of things liek this.
one thing to ignore a private person another to **** off a state paid lawyer.