Weekend detail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
25F0E9EB-C2E4-4725-8B7B-4CF8C1184443.jpeg 6BCBB822-2226-4D6D-8358-B88C16EF296D.jpeg I’ve been running my truck through the car wash all winter. The resulting swirls on my clear coat really started bugging me. So with the current break in weather I got to work on it.

I pulled out the compound and spent the afternoon polishing on Friday, waited till the temp got above freezing to seal it on Saturday, and waited once again for the temp to get above freezing today to wax it. Winter isn’t over till the end of next month here but my OCD feels better... lol I also didn’t want to wait until spring because pollen makes it literally worthless working outside... At least now all I have to do is avoid the car wash, and wash her by hand till next winter. :D

Last edited:

Nate4x4

The Vehicle Reader
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4x4
Nice job on the polishing...looks astounding.

Yea, I never take my truck through the car wash unless I feel the need to burn my money.

I've always gotten better results washing by hand and cloth. Never fails.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks good!!!!! Nice job-good reflection
Jay

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
where do you live?
Will bring you my truck.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everyone needs to own at least one black vehicle---they usually don't do it again----LOL
I agree there is nothing that looks better than a newly waxed or coated black vehicle. Well maybe candy apple red-----
Jay

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Black trucks look amazing when they are clean, for those 5 mins they are clean

Truth! Lol

We’re ecpecting a rain snow mix Tuesday, so the detail will be short lived until I hand wash it.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
7-12 here tomorrow, plus below zero Temps

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Truck looks great! what polish/wax did you apply?
:cheers:

I had Griot’s complete compound leftover from last winter. I wasn’t sure if last years sealer (Griot’s) would be enough to finish the job this year. So I went to auto zone to pick up more. They had everything but no Griot’s sealer. That’s when I noticed they started carrying chemical guys. They had one bottle of their sealer left. Granted it was $40. I grabbed it anyways. Figured I would grab the chemical guys butter wax while I was at it too. Their products gave great results!!

Unfortunately the Griot’s 6” orbital buffer that I bought last winter crapped out before I finished polishing on day one this year... Forced to finish the job, I bought a 6” orbital buffer from harbor freight at half the cost of Griot’s, and that SOB worked just as good or better.. Regardless, I’m getting in contact with Griot’s to have them either repair or replace the one I have. I’ll unload their replacement on Craigslist to cover the cost of my new buffer..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Unfortunately the Griot’s 6” orbital buffer that I bought last winter crapped out before I finished polishing on day one this year... Forced to finish the job, I bought a 6” orbital buffer from harbor freight at half the cost of Griot’s, and that SOB worked just as good or better.. Regardless, I’m getting in contact with Griot’s to have them either repair or replace the one I have. I’ll unload their replacement on Craigslist to cover the cost of my new buffer..

Update: So apparently the buffer wasn't broken. I ignored that fact brushes wear out. The box it came in actually had a spare set... I'm still a bit stumped that the brushes needed to be replaced so soon... Regardless, now I have two buffers lol. I may keep it as a backup.

renfrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had Griot’s complete compound leftover from last winter. I wasn’t sure if last years sealer (Griot’s) would be enough to finish the job this year. So I went to auto zone to pick up more. They had everything but no Griot’s sealer. That’s when I noticed they started carrying chemical guys. They had one bottle of their sealer left. Granted it was $40. I grabbed it anyways. Figured I would grab the chemical guys butter wax while I was at it too. Their products gave great results!!

My griots os crapped out to. The cover broke that covers the motor. Hf here I come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Griot's has the best warranty and customer service around. I'd give them a call and see what they can do before being reduced to buying HF stuff.