Weight Distribution vs Air Bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlongjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Always a lot of talk on this, I think they both serve a purpose and that WDH is essential but not always needed depending on what you are towing (tongue weight and total weight). I will be using both together for my travel trailer, I have just installed a set of Timber Grove bags and will do a write up on that.

This is a great video explaining some of what happens with weight for both, I would love to see them repeat this with both together. It is important to set the WDH and bags properly when used together. If done improperly the ride and control will be poor. It is not the devices but the setup and application of both that is critical.

Frank Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 1500 ecodiesel with auto air bags and pull a 7000+ lb travel trailer using a WDH along with duel sway bars. Last year I did over 11,000 miles traveling from the South to the North to the Rockies and Glacier National Park. Had no issues and no problems at all. Did nothing out of the ordinary other that ensuring that my hitch was set up level for the trailer....as everyone should do.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2500 CTD also has factory air suspension. And I use a WD hitch with sway control built in. Is it all needed? Maybe not. But our trailer sure pulls like a dream with the setup.

gears49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use both the Timber Grove air bags and the WD hitch. I set the ride height at 38 inches measured from the high point of the rear wheel well to the ground. The WD hitch and a friction sway bar work in concert with the bags. The only thing I don't like about the bags, is when unloaded, you need to keep your ride height at 38 inches or higher or the bags bottom out over hard bumps like parking lot speed bumps. With this combination, I tow a 26' Keystone Cougar travel trailer with no issues.

SilverRAM0708

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Crew Cab Big Horn
Engine
6.4L Hemi
New to owning a RAM truck. I am an avid camper and we have a 30’ travel trailer. Since I am new to the RAM I am looking for some info on the air ride the truck came equipped with. I know that there are two rides heights and then it can also sense the trailer and then auto level? Wondering how to setup my hitch with the weight distribution and then how to hook up and in hook the best way to utilize the pros of the air ride. So, basically I am looking for the setup suggestions for getting the travel trailer setup and hooked up to the RAM for the first time. I have a 2017 2500 Crew with the 6.4L Hemi. Came equipped with air ride and has the option for tow haul mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
New to owning a RAM truck. I am an avid camper and we have a 30’ travel trailer. Since I am new to the RAM I am looking for some info on the air ride the truck came equipped with. I know that there are two rides heights and then it can also sense the trailer and then auto level? Wondering how to setup my hitch with the weight distribution and then how to hook up and in hook the best way to utilize the pros of the air ride. So, basically I am looking for the setup suggestions for getting the travel trailer setup and hooked up to the RAM for the first time. I have a 2017 2500 Crew with the 6.4L Hemi. Came equipped with air ride and has the option for tow haul mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah, that is tricky. First thing to do is hook up the fully loaded trailer on level ground and move the WDH hitch height until the trailer is level. Truck needs to be running so it will compensate for the hitch weight. I do that with normal ride height, not the Alt setting. You're probably going to need 8-10" drop.

Next, unhook the trailer and measure someplace in the front and back of your truck from the ground to someplace repeatable. Then hook the trailer back up and adjust the WD hitch pitch, etc until you get to whatever specs the WDH maker recommends. Like front height within 3/4" of unloaded, rear at unloaded height, etc.

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I also use both and feel like they are complimentary accessories.

Air Lift 1000's, Blue Ox WDH - RAM 1500 2WD V6 (soon to be supercharged)

The stability is really nice. I am usually loaded just a hair under max and the truck is simply not up to task from the factory. I also swapped my 20" wheels with passenger tires to 17" light truck tires which is an additional stability improvement.

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Airlift 1000 hd and a Blue Ox WDH also. I love both, but the Blue ox I've used since 2013 and it is great. Rarely see someone else with one, even though I've recommended it to many.

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I have the Airlift 1000 hd and a Blue Ox WDH also. I love both, but the Blue ox I've used since 2013 and it is great. Rarely see someone else with one, even though I've recommended it to many.

Perhaps the cost of the Blue Ox is why you see fewer of them. In my opinion, the cost is totally justified. Great design and very solid manufacturing. It is something that you just never have to worry about again, which to me is worth $$

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bags do not cure the problem, equalizer does. Along with a stabilizer no worry about the tail wagging the dog as long as the tow vehicle is not super short wheel base, not a problem with almost all pickups.

I towed a large pop up camper many miles with my 3/4 ton Ram Van with out equalizer. It was light enough not to make any difference. t
The weight and length of the trailer along with the wheel base of the tow vehicle are the determining factors.