Weight distribution vs air bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-Torque
My PowerWagon has bags and an Equalizer WDH! Bags with cradles help with the lighter rear coils and let me keep articulation! WDH makes it a pleasure to tow!

WDH needs to be set up properly for your vehicle and camper/trailer!

View attachment 495794View attachment 495795View attachment 495796View attachment 495797View attachment 495801

I had to adjust for the second camper’s weight and height!
You might want to drop your ball a bit, appears right be sitting nose high.

Dave James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-Torque
Might want to drop your all. Is trailer level frame front and frame rear. Appears a bit high, and tail can wag the dog in that situation.

Dave James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-Torque
As mentioned use both, airbags will help stiffness the rear end up but the WDH is needed to replace the weight lost from the front axle.
Here's a good video showing the difference between airbags and a WDH:

Drop the air pressure in the airbags to 3-5 psi when your not loaded. I don't notice mine when the pressure is kept to a minimum.

Dave James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-Torque
As mentioned use both, airbags will help stiffness the rear end up but the WDH is needed to replace the weight lost from the front axle.
Here's a good video showing the difference between airbags and a WDH:

Drop the air pressure in the airbags to 3-5 psi when your not loaded. I don't notice mine when the pressure is kept to a minimum.
I’m running a 9K# TT on my Ram 6.4L. I have Airlift 5000s. Run 5 psi when unhooked. She hooked I lost 12 psi then set ProPride WD jacks, then let 2-3 psi out to ensure front end is planted and retains weight transferred. I cannot tell if the air is doing much headed down the road. I look at 10psi in rear bags as insurance of a big bump and to reduce rear side to side truck sway; zero sway w this hitch. 1200# TW. Am I missing something from the calculus?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Am I missing something from the calculus?
The air bags are just to help firm up the rear end, the WDH should be set up/checked after the you inflate the air bags.
For an unknown trailer weight, I'll usually put enough pressure in the air bags to bring the truck just below level, then set adjust the WDH to bring the front back to it's unloaded ride height.
It's a little more noticable but with my 1500 but it's usually about 15 psi in the bags and the trailer is in the 8K range.

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might want to drop your all. Is trailer level frame front and frame rear. Appears a bit high, and tail can wag the dog in that situation.
Spent a lot of time setting up the WDH and bags! Trailer is level! Might be a bit of an illusion! The trailer is a pleasure to tow! Been through torrential downpours, high winds, etc! No handling issues at all…passing semis, tight curves at speed, panic braking…it’s all good!

I certainly appreciate any input!