Weight distribution vs air bags

HighDesertRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Prior to owning my Ram 4X4 Diesel 2500 I had a Chevy Silverado with air bags and also used a weight distributing hitch with our 10,000 pound travel trailer. When we got the 2022 Ram, I noticed that the rear end of the truck was significantly higher than the Silverado was with the air bags uninflated. A friend who was a mechanic during his working years came over and we hooked up the trailer to the Ram with the weight distributing hitch. The Ram with the trailer connected was level and we drove around a bit, tested the brakes and decided it was good to go without air bags.

My wife and I did our first camping trip, towing from where we live up at 5300 feet to 10,000 feet without incident. The truck towed the trailer perfectly and although I would have purchased air bags if I thought it was necessary, I could see no reason to buy them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a '19 Longhorn with 4WD and factory air system. I talked to a factory Rep before buying it with the system.
Airbags or self leveling suspension system does not do anything for transferring the weight back to the front axle the reason for a WDH. Contrary to popular belief a HD truck should use a WDH also, their not just for 1/2 ton trucks. Watch the video I posted the link for in post #5 of this thread.

REDNECK28871

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 CLASSIC 5.7
Engine
Why would any educated man put a 7, "SEVEN INCH' lift kit on a daily driver and then ***** ABOUT NOT BEING ABLR TO TOW A TRAILER WTF commen sense needs to come in somewhere !

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I’ve got a 2019 1500 Classic and I tow a horse trailer right around 7000lbs loaded. I’ve got the Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate airbags on mine and it toes great. I put about 30# in the bags when I’m towing and it REALLY smooths out the ride as well as keeps me from high beaming everyone at night. I deflate to 5# when not towing. If not, it makes for a rougher ride. I’ve got the inflation valves mounted through my rear license plate so it’s easy to inflate/deflate. An auto built in compressor would be even slicker.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats a good point, and one I was wondering as well.

How does a lifted truck, in my case (7”), affect a WDH set up. In fact, is it even an option with a lifted truck?
The lift height matters less than the ball height. The more lift you have the more of a dropped ball is needed.
As long as the trailer is not running nose high the WDH system will work.

Whiskey13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have frame to axel air lift air bags to level my truck when I put a heavy load on it, I also have a Curt WDH for when I pull a heavy trailer. As mentioned, they each serve a different purpose but with the combination of both, I have great flexibility. I stay level and when towing I have no sway issues.

You may run into a problem with 7" lift, the weight distribution hitch can be adjusted but only so far. Might want to talk with a hitch professional before you purchase.

OP
OP
Socalramfan

Socalramfan

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I have frame to axel air lift air bags to level my truck when I put a heavy load on it, I also have a Curt WDH for when I pull a heavy trailer. As mentioned, they each serve a different purpose but with the combination of both, I have great flexibility. I stay level and when towing I have no sway issues.

You may run into a problem with 7" lift, the weight distribution hitch can be adjusted but only so far. Might want to talk with a hitch professional before you purchase.

Did just that

OP
OP
Socalramfan

Socalramfan

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Why would any educated man put a 7, "SEVEN INCH' lift kit on a daily driver and then ***** ABOUT NOT BEING ABLR TO TOW A TRAILER WTF commen sense needs to come in somewhere !

To re-emphasize Rednecker, I have had zero issues with towing my trailer with the lift, as stated in the initial post. My question was directed at anyone who had experience with WDH vs Air bags as both have advantages & disadvantages.

Translated……. Read the F’n Post Cooooter :waytogo:

OP
OP
Socalramfan

Socalramfan

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Update:

Picked up a Curt WDH the other day. Will hook it up this weekend and compare before and after thoughts.

Dave James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-Torque