Weird Exhaust Noise on Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie here - long time car/truck enthusiast and a master licensed Honda technician.

Mods please move this if it's not in the right area.

So I have a 2017 Ram 1500 5.7L with 65,00km's (40,000miles) with an exhaust noise that has me stumped - and I'm a licensed tech - LOL. I do not have any "hemi tick" on start up or a manifold leak, I've done my best to remove the heat shields off the manifolds and inspect all the bolts, and I cannot replicate the sound while revving in park or even in D with my foot on the brake and loading it up.

This noise that I have only happens on acceleration with a bit of load after you're cruising (ie: 4th gear @ 1,200rpm and you roll into it) and what it honestly sounds like is a mixture of detonation/air wooshing/metallic rattle type sound. I feel like I'm going all over the place so I did my best to record a sound clip - you might have to crank the volume up all the way.

I notice it the most when my windows are down and I'm rolling near curbs or concrete walls.

Any help would be appreciated before I go completely insane and pull the manifolds off, plane them and install with new hardware to cross that off the list.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie here - long time car/truck enthusiast and a master licensed Honda technician.

Mods please move this if it's not in the right area.

So I have a 2017 Ram 1500 5.7L with 65,00km's (40,000miles) with an exhaust noise that has me stumped - and I'm a licensed tech - LOL. I do not have any "hemi tick" on start up or a manifold leak, I've done my best to remove the heat shields off the manifolds and inspect all the bolts, and I cannot replicate the sound while revving in park or even in D with my foot on the brake and loading it up.

This noise that I have only happens on acceleration with a bit of load after you're cruising (ie: 4th gear @ 1,200rpm and you roll into it) and what it honestly sounds like is a mixture of detonation/air wooshing/metallic rattle type sound. I feel like I'm going all over the place so I did my best to record a sound clip - you might have to crank the volume up all the way.

I notice it the most when my windows are down and I'm rolling near curbs or concrete walls.

Any help would be appreciated before I go completely insane and pull the manifolds off, plane them and install with new hardware to cross that off the list.

I'm in the exact same boat..and made a post about a metallic rattle as well under load... I've done manifolds gaskets bolts have heat shields removed all that jazz...still there... it just started one day and hasn't disappeared since... seems like 2016 trucks have it more so from fb groups and on here... I'm at a loss with it and hope someone else can figure it out... my cats dont rattle I've banged on them thinking that... I've ran 91 and am tuned still there... mds is off.. the only issue I can physically see wrong with my truck is I have an oil leak on the passenger rear of my intake manifold... I swapped the gaskets and it came back... I believe the intake manifold is cracked or the mouldings have separated. Check yours its 650 for me to get a new one that I'd install but if that's not resolving the noise I'm not wanting to go spend it atm... and it keeps pooling on top of cyl 8 injector you can see the puddle just past the fuel raild72db075bf84d67b424ba61a511cd042.jpg25ff32dbe7b32d4c67e65ddcc386ddac.jpg0284d8163cfd438a840bb3f936cd0d82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was noticing a noise that I thought was exhaust as well. Same thing, worked on heat shields, etc. I could hear it as I was driving in the parking garage much more pronounced than anywhere else and couldn't replicate if I was revving the engine. It turned out to be three broken header bolts. Similar sound to what you're describing. Mechanic went in there twice before he actually found one broken bolt and then while fixing that pound two more. They were really hard to see and even tried to take a picture but couldn't really do it justice. Good luck.

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll see if I can find the time to get around to taking the manifolds and re-checking everything again.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll see if I can find the time to get around to taking the manifolds and re-checking everything again.
I can almost promise you it wont I swear I've wasted so much time on it to the point I wanna sell it... I love it for all the luxuries but between broken manifold bolts,****** paint, lifter issues it kills me my 2010 had broken manifold bolts and never made a noise like this... I really believe its beneath the valve cover where well find an answer but I have yet to get in there..in Hope's someone else has a tech that gets to the bottom of it first

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I can almost promise you it wont I swear I've wasted so much time on it to the point I wanna sell it... I love it for all the luxuries but between broken manifold bolts,****** paint, lifter issues it kills me my 2010 had broken manifold bolts and never made a noise like this... I really believe its beneath the valve cover where well find an answer but I have yet to get in there..in Hope's someone else has a tech that gets to the bottom of it first

I listened to your video and I think our noises might be slightly different.

I'll do my best to keep this thread updated.

VanCitySteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this exact issue on my 2019 classic. Did you ever figure it out?

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Update: This noise is a normal characteristic of this truck if you have the 5.7L.

Why?

After doing a lot of reading/research and talking to other Ram mechanics, it's a mixture of two things.

1. It's resonance in the stock Y-pipe from it being 2-into-1.
2. The ignition system having 16 spark plugs and double coils to go with it, fires in a way that causes this "pinging" sound/noise, once it hits the Y-pipe it amplifies this noise.

Hope this helps people out there who are going crazy about this noise like I was!

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I'll ditto this. When I first bought my '15 2500 5.7, I had the dealer try to "fix" this, and they even went as far as replacing the Y-pipe, to no avail. Noise was still there even after I had a custom exhaust fabricated with an X-pipe (which takes the Y-pipe hypothesis off the table). It never impacted performance, was just a minor annoyance.

es

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Just a shame there is no way around it. Like you said, it's just an annoyance because it sounds like you have a constant exhaust leak.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When I got this new truck it had ringing metallic noise on some accelerations. Changed for a custom x pipe and chambered mufflers set up and I no longer hear any ringing haha

lmooney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the EXACT issue on my 2019 and its driving me ******* mad. Not MDS, not a leak at the y pipe. No manifold tick. sounds like such a bad leak but its not ha. Losing my mind

VanCitySteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the EXACT issue on my 2019 and its driving me ******* mad. Not MDS, not a leak at the y pipe. No manifold tick. sounds like such a bad leak but its not ha. Losing my mind
I had mine it at the dealer again for this issue. When i am driving buy buildings etc it sounds like i'm in a sewing machine. apparently its a "normal" sound. ugh
i have read on this an other forums it's a combination of things. Timing chain, timing chain plastic guides, torque converter, cam phaser....everyone has something diff to say. 5th gen guys have this issue too.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I think I have same noise on my 2013, same as you described.

I didn't see any audio file to listen to the noise, can you post it please?

VanCitySteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
yes i hear it. i have the same. annoying AF sounds like metal spoons clacking together.
Mine is a bit different sound, more like a metal line wire rattling against a pipe during a moderate acceleration onto a freeway ramp under load