Weird Problem And Symptoms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danzig666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7 Hemi. I have a weird problem with weird symptoms. Truck will be running fine. I will turn on the cruise control and set a speed. Driving for a while and all of a sudden the cruise will shut off, the engine will lurch, the check engine light will come on and the stability control indicator will illuminate? Now as I drive, the engine will run sluggish and will all of a sudden lose power as though the gas pedal is no longer responding (in fact, if you press the pedal down or let it up, the engine reacts in no way). It's as if the car is stalling but the engine is still running and the pedal is just not reacting. The truck slows to about 60 miles an hour and then all of a sudden the pedal reacts and gas returns to the engine and the truck accelerates. It will drive fine for a while and then after a while it will do it again. I get to where I'm going and let the truck cool. When you start the truck back up, the check engine and stability indicators are gone and the truck runs fine, perhaps to do the same thing again on the next ride or perhaps it wont. Has anyone else had this problem or know why this is happening? Also, when the oil is changed, it seems to not happen again for a long time after that. Any help?

OP
OP
D

danzig666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Camshaft position sensor code was stored. It's actually a new battery (1 or 2 months) and I don't believe i turned off the ESC button but i'll have to look tomorrow morning. 192,000 miles. and I change oil not as often as I should but not at long intervals either.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Cam phaser system is oil controlled. Probably affected by wear and by deposits in the oil system that accumulate in older engines.

Change oil more often, like every 1k miles for the next few oil changes. That will dissolve deposits and clean oil passages. Do not use any engine flush product.

Thereafter, reduce your oil change interval compared to your previous OCI. Worn engines need more frequent changes than new.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe change the cam position sensor ? They do go bad . And that’s a stored code you’re getting . Couldn’t hurt at 192k. I’ve got a 04 5.7. Non mds. Twice I’ve run seafoam though the engine about 500miles before oil change. It’s got 300k on it know no issues. Not sure if seafoam would be a issue with mds though.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oil control valve(solenoid) under the intake my guess..just had mine replaced a month ago or so...same code description.(p0016 maybe sumthing like that)...mine is 2010...crappy plastic screens back then I guess...degrades and crumbles away clogging up...no oil to flow...kinda like a limp mode as you described....shoulda used way more gas also,cruise wouldnt work,remote start wouldnt work,dead/sluggish pedal.could still run speeds but rpms way higher...I mean like 2k at 45mph...runs like a champ again now.

DaveSharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be careful. An early 2000 scenario. Kinda the same deal only in this instance the vehicle would stall on occasion. The problem in this situation was a shared 5v feed going to the A/C high pressure switch. On occasion the switch would short to ground interally pulling the high side low and everything on the shared cct would be pulled low with it including the tps and map among other things. The only code that would set would be an intermittent map sensor code that had little to do with the actual problem. Look at the whole picture especially with shared feeds that react to the input. Does it do it when the cruise is not being used? If not start there and look at shared ccts.