Weird stock radio problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have one of those Bluetooth radio things that plug into the cigarette lighter in my 06 1500, the last couple of days it will switch radio stations.

For example;
It’s in 103.3, always has been
But then it will switch to 103.1 by itself then back again to 103.3 then back and forth. Got so annoyed that I just shut the radio off so it only shows the clock.
Is this a regular issue?

It also is wonky when I try and change the volume, I turn it up, it goes down then up, then up again, even using the steering wheel buttons does it sometimes!

Is it more worth to just get another stereo or is it a relatively easy fix?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have one of those Bluetooth radio things that plug into the cigarette lighter in my 06 1500, the last couple of days it will switch radio stations.

For example;
It’s in 103.3, always has been
But then it will switch to 103.1 by itself then back again to 103.3 then back and forth. Got so annoyed that I just shut the radio off so it only shows the clock.
Is this a regular issue?

It also is wonky when I try and change the volume, I turn it up, it goes down then up, then up again, even using the steering wheel buttons does it sometimes!

Is it more worth to just get another stereo or is it a relatively easy fix?
The issues you are experiencing are pretty common for the older radios. It's time for a new head unit. Be done with the stock radio and go for one if the Pioneer NEX units and enjoy.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
My REF single-disk radio does that sometimes. I just turn the frequency knob for a little bit then put it back on my station, and it works perfectly. It acts like the knob is almost like sitting inbetween gears or something

But it looks like you’ve got a bit more going wrong than just the scanning problem so i think a new radio work be better lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
StuartBlack

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The issues you are experiencing are pretty common for the older radios. It's time for a new head unit. Be done with the stock radio and go for one if the Pioneer NEX units and enjoy.

I looked those up, wow those are nice units! Is there a particular one you recommend?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OP
OP
StuartBlack

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are very nice head units. I have always been particular to the Kenwood head units but when Pioneer releases the NEX radios I gave them a shot and I have not been disappointed. Here is the one I run in my daily driver...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pionee...O6B76sV8SWLGVAkyAoBoCWZsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

At $600 that’s really nice! Has all the new things it looks like.
That’s more than 1/4 that I paid for my truck, l got it for a wicked deal at $2000. The guy needed to sell it and he was in Alberta (I’m in Nova Scotia) he needed to sell it before he got back with his new truck. He thought it needed more work than it did
I took it for inspection and it passed first try without me doing anything to it.
So I’m still well under what it’s worth which is maybe $5000-$7000 if online is anything to go by

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
At $600 that’s really nice! Has all the new things it looks like.
That’s more than 1/4 that I paid for my truck, l got it for a wicked deal at $2000. The guy needed to sell it and he was in Alberta (I’m in Nova Scotia) he needed to sell it before he got back with his new truck. He thought it needed more work than it did
I took it for inspection and it passed first try without me doing anything to it.
So I’m still well under what it’s worth which is maybe $5000-$7000 if online is anything to go by
Sounds like you got a good deal. If you can find a location with the Pioneer NEX radios in stock to where you can play with it for a few minutes I think you will really like the head units. The Kenwood head units are excellent as well. It all comes down to feature and preference.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
A great place to shop for car stereo is

https://www.crutchfield.com/

I like them because you can enter make and year and they’ll put together everything you need to do the install. I just bought some new speakers there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk