Well, looks like I have lost faith in BFG KO2's Anybody ever seen this happen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
I bought these tires online in January of 2022 and put them on a brand new truck. No road hazard warranty. At 18K miles today I noticed a crack in a sidewall, and after inspecting all of them, 3 of them are showing cracks in the sidewall. I don't think I have been curbing them, the rims are all untouched, but I suppose anything is possible. I am attaching pictures. Obviously I need new tires, and I don't think I am going to be putting these back on.

I would love to hear your thoughts on what might be going on, as well as what tires I should put on. I do use the truck in saltwater muddy condition (see last pic) while fishing, and I love the grip of these tires, I have been able to pull out of some sketchy launched and have never even needed 4wd.

Attachments

• IMG_0773 (2).jpg
    IMG_0773 (2).jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0774 (3).jpg
    IMG_0774 (3).jpg
    195 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0777 (2).jpg
    IMG_0777 (2).jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I bought these tires online in January of 2022 and put them on a brand new truck. No road hazard warranty. At 18 miles today I noticed a crack in a sidewall, and after inspecting all of them, 3 of them are showing cracks in the sidewall. I don't think I have been curbing them, the rims are all untouched, but I suppose anything is possible. I am attaching pictures. Obviously I need new tires, and I don't think I am going to be putting these back on.

I would love to hear your thoughts on what might be going on, as well as what tires I should put on. I do use the truck in saltwater muddy condition (see last pic) while fishing, and I love the grip of these tires, I have been able to pull out of some sketchy launched and have never even needed 4wd.

Did u get them at a discount? I ask because I knew a company that sold what they called "BLEM" tires. They all had defects like that on the exterior layer but structurally they were fine.
What is the date code on them? If I had no road hazard or warranty available but I got them dirt cheap I'd run them. But I'm not afraid of risks. I mean, I've seen worse from hitting a pothole and never had a blow out. But if you paid a premium I'd question the seller.

OP
OP
jeveretts

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Did u get them at a discount? I ask because I knew a company that sold what they called "BLEM" tires. They all had defects like that on the exterior layer but structurally they were fine.
What is the date code on them? If I had no road hazard or warranty available but I got them dirt cheap I'd run them. But I'm not afraid of risks. I mean, I've seen worse from hitting a pothole and never had a blow out. But if you paid a premium I'd question the seller.

I bought them from "Tires-Easy" on ebay, so they might have been blems. But I can tell you they didn't have these cracks when I got them.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, those cracks look pretty nasty.

You listed the purchase date as January '22, have they been sitting since then or you meant January '23?

What is the BFG date code on the tires?
Did you buy from a reputable site and might they offer some type of support?

I've used KO2s for winter tires up here almost exclusively since 2008. They never cease to amaze me with their performance and ever so rarely disappoint.

BFG date codes.jpg

https://www.bfgoodrichtrucktires.com/tires/tires-101/tire-basics/how-to-read-dot-identification/

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeveretts

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Wow, those cracks look pretty nasty.

You listed the purchase date as January '22, have they been sitting since then or you meant January '23?

What is the BFG date code on the tires?
Did you buy from a reputable site and might they offer some type of support?

I've used KO2s for winter tires up here almost exclusively since 2008. They never cease to amaze me with their performance and ever so rarely disappoint.

View attachment 516825

https://www.bfgoodrichtrucktires.com/tires/tires-101/tire-basics/how-to-read-dot-identification/

I bought them in 1/22, they now have 18K miles on them.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a thread from 2017 of complaints of the cracking. BFG said it is no concern and is cosmetic and in most cases they appear upon initial use but go away over time.
Post #29 https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/271219-BF-G-AT-KO2-recall/page2

LOL, go away over time. That's too funny.

Although the cracks do appear to be superficial at this time, I can't imagine that having the sidewall casing compromised and the inner sidewall belts potentially exposed to moisture ingress, would be much good for longevity, especially in climates with sub-freezing temps.

It's great to be comfortable using compromised equipment, I was 25 before too, and while I wouldn't see the use of them as akin to living on the ragged edge, I'm somewhat a n a l about safety equipment.

When these are between me and the pavement at 60, 70, or 80 MPH, I have a pretty low tolerance for imperfections.

YMMV :cool:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have run tons of "BLEM" tires, and it was always a letter that did not come out of the mold right, or a blemish(imagine that) left when it came out of the mold, etc. Never any cracking, and never had one that gave me trouble. In my experience they were always clearly stamped BLEM on the sidewall.

The cracking issue has been around BFG and Michelin for ages.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
What’s showing in those pictures is not the often seen minor cracking in old Michelin or BFG from old age and exposure to ozone. That’s mechanical damage.

I’d say your eBay seller got a deal on some damaged tires and passed them on to you.
Yes, you are right. I was on my phone, but opened them now on my laptop.

OP
OP
jeveretts

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Tomorrow I am going to get new tires, with road hazard. I am leaning towards Cooper Discoverer AT3 or Toyo Open Country AT3. Opinions?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son had K02s on his 2018 2500 6.4 and put over 50,000 miles on them. Can't say whether or not they had and cracks but he loved them.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Tomorrow I am going to get new tires, with road hazard. I am leaning towards Cooper Discoverer AT3 or Toyo Open Country AT3. Opinions?
I just put Toyo Open Country AT3's on my 2500 back in December. No complaints so far but I only have about 1000 miles on them and we have had hardly any snow here this year

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is your application and what area of the country do you live?

Highway, offroad, deep snow, ice, black ice.

Looking for strictly a winter tire or something you can delay removing in spring if required?

BFG KO2's work great for me on country roads with deep snow and a small bit of offroad.

I also use them to drive from home during the winter months (SNOW) to North Florida for light offroad.

I never have concerns about driving with them for a couple of weeks in the Florida heat unlike true snow tires.

OP
OP
jeveretts

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
What is your application and what area of the country do you live?

Highway, offroad, deep snow, ice, black ice.

Looking for strictly a winter tire or something you can delay removing in spring if required?

BFG KO2's work great for me on country roads with deep snow and a small bit of offroad.

I also use them to drive from home during the winter months (SNOW) to North Florida for light offroad.

I never have concerns about driving with them for a couple of weeks in the Florida heat unlike true snow tires.

Sorry, several times a week I go fishing and go into some pretty muddy areas, the KO2's were spectacular there. I also tow a 6000lb travel trailer several times a year. The KO2's were great off road, and perfectly acceptable on road.

Picture is how I mostly use my truck, but I do want the on road manners to be acceptable.

Attachments

• IMG_0770 (2).jpg
    IMG_0770 (2).jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 22

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I bought them from "Tires-Easy" on ebay, so they might have been blems. But I can tell you they didn't have these cracks when I got them.
You them from "Tires-Easy", on ebay and are, now, blaming the brand & model, of the tires, for your Woes?
gto soem sad news, fro you...