Well, looks like I have lost faith in BFG KO2's Anybody ever seen this happen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Wait wait wait a minute. Your original posts says "18 miles". Did you mean 18,000 miles are on those tires or 18 miles? If its 18k and you're noticing now the sidewalls, there's no telling in the last 18,000 miles what those tires been through. Whether you know it or not the damage or cracks may of developed from your own use. Heck, my stock tires that came on my 2018 didn't even last that long tread wise.

OP
OP
jeveretts

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Wait wait wait a minute. Your original posts says "18 miles". Did you mean 18,000 miles are on those tires or 18 miles? If its 18k and you're noticing now the sidewalls, there's no telling in the last 18,000 miles what those tires been through. Whether you know it or not the damage or cracks may of developed from your own use. Heck, my stock tires that came on my 2018 didn't even last that long tread wise.

Oh, I meant to say 18K!

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've ran BFG Ko tires for the last 15 years and a lot of my friends do ad well. I have never seen any issues like this. My buddy has shop and caters to the overlanding crowd and sells tons of wheels and tires lots of ko2s. Either these were sold damaged from a cheap tire guy or human error.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Tomorrow I am going to get new tires, with road hazard. I am leaning towards Cooper Discoverer AT3 or Toyo Open Country AT3. Opinions?
I had coop AT3 4S, they were excellent in all North Nj weather conditions. Only complaint I have is they were completely worn at a little less than 30000 miles. Cooper didn’t want to honor their 60000 tread warranty, even though I had my receipts for rotation at 5000 mile intervals.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
second photo is definitely rub damage you can even see the residual rub marks on the rest of the sidewall
first and third photo possibly installation pinching by a newbie
but now with the new info of 18k miles that's a big difference in situation compared to 18 miles

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
EE4F41AB-D13A-4202-85B7-F2BFDAE1EE3E.jpeg
The tread is separated from the carcass in this photo. Looks like a retread. If that’s an OEM tire doing that it it’s either defective, or more frequently been operated severely under inflated.

I continue to think the eBay operation has a source of damaged or defective tires to sell.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
View attachment 516883
The tread is separated from the carcass in this photo. Looks like a retread. If that’s an OEM tire doing that it it’s either defective, or more frequently been operated severely under inflated.

I continue to think the eBay operation has a source of damaged or defective tires to sell.
This looks as if it sat flat for awhile, the marks line up .

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I run LT285/65R20 BFG KO2's on my truck for three summers now, and about to go into my fourth.

They are fantastic tires, no cracking issues, and nothing but great things to say. I travel a ton of highway on them, and also hit the trails too. No scalloping, no feathering, no uneven wear whatsoever.

Ensuring proper tire pressure at all times is paramount to any tires integrity and overall good driving experiences. I run what my door sticker says (39psi front & rear - maybe 40psi at max - but always checked and adjusted cold). I check my tires at a minimum of once a month and adjust accordingly as required.

The one picture to me looks as if it sustained some sort of mechanical damage, as others have said. The other issue, in my opinion, is purchasing from ebay.

From my experiences, tires and brakes are the two most important items to always have quality items used, and purchased from reputable sources as well.

I know economic times are hard, and I don't like the word retail either. But when my daughter and I are in our big blue truck, safety and quality outweigh anything else. Plus I like warranty and being able to have a supplier accountable for the products they sell. Not to mention holding the manufacture accountable to, if need be.

OP
OP
jeveretts

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
second photo is definitely rub damage you can even see the residual rub marks on the rest of the sidewall
first and third photo possibly installation pinching by a newbie
but now with the new info of 18k miles that's a big difference in situation compared to 18 miles

You know, it's interesting what you said, turning radius is pretty bad as I am sure most of you know, I have probably hit curbs before. But the mounting pinching. When I had these mounted the shop also scratched every one of my Laramie rims. they paid for the Rebel rims that are now on my truck, but I bet the guy who scratched all my rims probably pinched them as well. I had forgotten about this.

Also, I have an appt this afternoon, getting some Nitto Recon Grapplers installed in 275/70R18, and getting the certificates as well. (not the same shop)

ctwalton15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A couple of those marks on the side walls look like someone may had tried to slash them too at one point with a really ****** knife. Again thats just speculation but I've got a set of 35" K02's on my 09 1500, they are definitely worn and probably have 50k miles on them and definitely have seen mud and a couple curbs. They've got cracks all throughout them and a few plugs in 1 tire from apparently catching a few different nails in the past year but they do pretty decent still in off-roading and still take the abuse pretty well. I've installed a few sets of these personally on some jeeps and I do really enjoy these tires. They do tremendously for what they are.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You know, it's interesting what you said, turning radius is pretty bad as I am sure most of you know, I have probably hit curbs before. But the mounting pinching. When I had these mounted the shop also scratched every one of my Laramie rims. they paid for the Rebel rims that are now on my truck, but I bet the guy who scratched all my rims probably pinched them as well. I had forgotten about this.

Also, I have an appt this afternoon, getting some Nitto Recon Grapplers installed in 275/70R18, and getting the certificates as well. (not the same shop)
there ya go! mystery solved! :favorites13:

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I like my Yokohama Geolander ATs. Good wet and dry traction. In surveys, they run a close second only to Destination AT, at cheaper price.

Olecarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 MDS Etorque

Now we know the rest of the story! I’ve owned a tire shop. All of the injuries on the side walls and near the rims is likely mechanical side wall damage caused by the demounting machine’s blade/spoon when they removed the tires to replace the wheels. I’d bet dollar’s to donuts that they didn’t or don’t have a plastic guard on the spoon. Hence, damaging your original wheels and subsequently scaring your tires from pinching them.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
View attachment 516883

Looks like rubber mold flashing to me, not a crack but instead a tab of rubber.

jshillin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran KO2's on my RAM for a while, but they didn't treat me well. Road rough, loud and scary on wet roads. I thought my wheels bearings were going bad and spent a good bit of time checking that out until I rotated the tires and figured out they were the problem. I didn't have them for 2 years and still had over 1/2 tread left when I replaced them with Coopers.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Tomorrow I am going to get new tires, with road hazard. I am leaning towards Cooper Discoverer AT3 or Toyo Open Country AT3. Opinions?
I have the AT3s from Walmart. They were half the price of the KO2s and I have been very happy with them. E rated. $135 each at the time.